AD Issued for M20V Acclaims

The FAA has issued the following Airworthiness Directive:

2021-10-17 Mooney International Corporation: Amendment 39-21550; Docket No. FAA-2021-0223; Project Identifier AD-2020-00539-A.

(a) Effective Date

This airworthiness directive (AD) is effective July 7, 2021.

(b) Affected ADs

None.

(c) Applicability

This AD applies to Mooney International Corporation Model M20V airplanes, serial numbers 33-0001 through 33-0018, certificated in any category.

(d) Subject

Joint Aircraft System Component Code 2400, Electrical Power System.

(e) Unsafe Condition

This AD was prompted by reports of short circuit and arcing of the alternator main power cable in the engine compartment. The FAA is issuing this AD to prevent arcing of the alternator main power cable in the engine compartment. This condition, if not addressed, could result in an inflight fire and loss of engine thrust control, which may lead to reduced control of the airplane.

(f) Compliance

Comply with this AD before further flight after the effective date of this AD, unless already done.

(g) Required Actions

(1) Inspect the alternator main power cable and the exhaust crossover tube for burn marks, chafing, holes, and cracks, and replace any cable and crossover tube that has a burn mark, chafing, a hole, or a crack.

(2) Install an additional alternator cable clamp part number MS21919WCJ6 and ensure correct routing of the alternator main power cable by following steps 1.5. through 1.9. of the Instructions in Mooney International Corporation Service Bulletin M20-340C, dated February 14, 2020.

(h) Special Flight Permit

A special flight permit may be issued with the following limitations:

(1) Flights must not carry passengers;

(2) Operation in daytime visual meteorological conditions only;

(3) Straight and level flight must be maintained;

(4) Operation in areas of known turbulence prohibited; and

(5) Altitude limited to 9,000 ft. above sea level.

(i) Alternative Methods of Compliance (AMOCs)

(1) The Manager, Fort Worth ACO Branch, FAA, has the authority to approve AMOCs for this AD, if requested using the procedures found in 14 CFR 39.19. In accordance with 14 CFR 39.19, send your request to your principal inspector or local Flight Standards District Office, as appropriate. If sending information directly to the manager of the certification office, send it to the attention of the person identified in Related Information.

(2) Before using any approved AMOC, notify your appropriate principal inspector, or lacking a principal inspector, the manager of the local flight standards district office/certificate holding district office.

(j) Related Information

For more information about this AD, contact Jacob Fitch, Aviation Safety Engineer, Fort Worth ACO Branch, FAA, 10101 Hillwood Pkwy., Fort Worth, TX 76177; phone: (817) 222-4130; fax: (817) 222-5245; email: jacob.fitch@faa.gov.

(k) Material Incorporated by Reference

(1) The Director of the Federal Register approved the incorporation by reference of the service information listed in this paragraph under 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51.

(2) You must use this service information as applicable to do the actions required by this AD, unless the AD specifies otherwise.

(i) Mooney International Corporation Service Bulletin M20-340C, dated February 14, 2020.

(ii) [Reserved]

(3) For Mooney International Corporation service information identified in this AD, contact Mooney International Corporation, 165 Al Mooney Road, North Kerrville, TX 78028; phone: (800) 456-3033; email: support@mooney.com.

(4) You may view this service information at FAA, Airworthiness Products Section, Operational Safety Branch, 901 Locust, Kansas City, MO 64106. For information on the availability of this material at the FAA, call (816) 329-4148.

4 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I was on the plane that was responsible for this AD when it happened. Fortunately, we were inside the FAF and landed without becoming a flaming lawn dart.

When was the incident, Mike? Also, how did the FAA find out? Report to Mooney? SDR?  I’m curious about the process and timeframe for creating an AD.

Skip

Most often AD’s come from SB’s and incorporate the SB in the AD, but as no SB was referenced it seems they skipped that part, which is unusual.

Odd because an AD actually takes quite a long time to be issued, and it’s common that the FAA works with the manufacturer and gets an SB out first.

I believe the time frame for an Emergency AD is 90 days and they get to skip quite a few steps for an Emergency one.

‘For a regular AD first there is an NPRM where the public gets to comment and the FAA answers the comments, then of course  data on what the effect of the AD will be, how many aircraft affected, cost per aircraft cost to the fleet etc.

‘So months are required for a regular AD and it can take much longer if say an organized group fights, like the Beech T-34 community for instance, 

I don’t know if AMOC;s are looked at before the AD, but think they are.

• Like 1

OK, here is rhe link to the AD, apparently there is a preceding SB, Somehow I missed that 

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/06/02/2021-11443/airworthiness-directives-mooney-international-corporation-airplanes

Often AD’s are initiated by the manufacture who issues an SB first but believes an AD is warrantied.

I have avoided an AD on limited run aircraft by Issuing a SB that had as part of the SB a card that was filled out and returned to ensure compliance, as there were only a limited number of aircraft we could contact the owners.

‘In our case it was an elevator control tube end that he threads were cut with a Die as opposed to being rolled threads, one broke and the pilot made a semi-successful landing using pitch trim only.

You have over a month to accomplish this AD before your grounded so if they hear about it in time, surely no one will be grounded, seems like a simple AD

Edited by A64Pilot

I’m surprised that Mooney doesn’t have at least an unofficial presence here, owners groups and professional organizations are a exceptionally good way to disseminate information, if Mooney had a presence, they could have gotten the word out about an upcoming SB, and probability of an AD.

On edit, have they ever been invited? 

Edited by A64Pilot

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

When was the incident, Mike? Also, how did the FAA find out? Report to Mooney? SDR?  I’m curious about the process and timeframe for creating an AD.

Skip

Oct 7 2019. Alternator primary wire was touching the xover exhaust tube, burned thru the insulation then arc'd a hole in the tube. POOF! smoke coming up from the copilot side, Alternator fail annunciation. Instead of a missed to published hold, it was a land at KOCF and rent a car. I have a pic somewhere...Ah here it is...

Mooney got a call from me right after we broke out, landed (em. bus puts the gear down ok) and I cleaned out the underwear. We didnt know the extent of what happened until the shop on the field decowled and discovered..

Omars xover tube burn thru.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Good thing it wasn't night IFR,I assume the big Alt breaker popped?

It was day IMC, and frankly, it would not have made any difference if it were at night. G100nxi all worked and with SV not much worry about the position of the sun, airport was above min's. I am sure the breaker popped as it would have been the first place to check which I am sure we did before going to emergency buss.

4 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

It was day IMC, and frankly, it would not have made any difference if it were at night. G100nxi all worked and with SV not much worry about the position of the sun, airport was above min's. I am sure the breaker popped as it would have been the first place to check which I am sure we did before going to emergency buss.

I recall this incident.................I do believe Mike posted on MS back then. 

• Like 2

Reading the AD, it is not effective until 7/7/21, Compliance is before further flight effective the date of the AD.

The question I have for all the learned IA's....

How do you log compliance to an AD that is in the future? Do we all just book a slot on July 7th at our favorite MSC's and then presto, get r done? 

Could it be done in June, signed off on 7/7 on a sticker given to the owner, who on July 7th post it in the logs? To me, That sounds like it would rile up a compliance guy down at your favorite FSDO

23 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Reading the AD, it is not effective until 7/7/21, Compliance is before further flight effective the date of the AD.

The question I have for all the learned IA's....

How do you log compliance to an AD that is in the future? Do we all just book a slot on July 7th at our favorite MSC's and then presto, get r done? 

Could it be done in June, signed off on 7/7 on a sticker given to the owner, who on July 7th post it in the logs? To me, That sounds like it would rile up a compliance guy down at your favorite FSDO

Under (f) Compliance:

"Comply with this AD before further flight after the effective date of this AD, unless already done."

The AD can be done any time, including before 7/7.   The airplane can't be flown after 7/7 unless the AD is done or under a Special Flight Permit per section (h).

• Thanks 1

Wow! I imagine something like this can happen on most any plane with an alternator up front?  It's  a good reminder to check and double check anything that might contact the exhaust every time you're under the cowl.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DXB said:

Wow! I imagine something like this can happen on most any plane with an alternator up front?  It's  a good reminder to check and double check anything that might contact the exhaust every time you're under the cowl.

Last year my landing light suddenly starting popping the breaker and it turned out the wires were touching the #1 exhaust.   It took a couple iterations of rerouting the wires to get it right.   I've no idea what made it change from being fine to suddenly shorting on the exhaust.

10 hours ago, DXB said:

Excellent point, every time the cowl comes off, one should spend an extra bit of time to carefully look and everything and ask themselves "what is the worse thing that could happen?" about the condition of everything, its proximity and contact with other things, why a sudden break in wear marks, etc.