I've was a Cheap Bastard long before the development of CBEF (Cheap Bastard's Echo Flight - bonus points to anyone who remembers that).  I've also, like most of us, been on a lifelong search for the "perfect" kneeboard.  With an iPad on the yoke and an iPhone in the pocket, reference materials really don't need to be printed on the board.  All I need is a secure place to hold a note pad and a pen.

I've tried lots of different options and have a drawer full if anyone wants to experiment.  I've come down on the minimalist side.  Sporty's has the "Aluminum VFR Kneeboard with Pen Holder" for $21.50, and the "Classic Kneeboard" for $12.95 (on sale!).  The former is okay.  The latter has a photo showing a pen held vertically under the clip.  Not fond of that.  Tried it, don't like lifting the clip and risking the pad slipping.  I bought an even more stripped down version of that clipboard at AirVenture a few years ago for $10 (no cheat notes on the board -- just bare aluminum).  It's become my preferred note taking device under the KISS principle.  (Yes, I've tried taking notes in ForeFlight, and the results look like something my 19 month old grandson did.)  BUT, it has the same clip as the Classic version -- not my favorite.  So I set about looking for a solution, and found something today that I'm sharing, if only because it's the smallest expenditure I've ever made for aviation, yet Sparks Joy (sorry, Marie - is that trademarked?).  Office Depot has "Removable Pen Holders For Clipboards" that simply snap on to the clip of the clipboard and hold the pen horizontally on top of it.  Beauty!  And the price?  6.9E-4 AMUs. 

Not everyone will agree with this solution, but I like it.  So what's your favorite kneeboard, and why?  Can anyone beat $10.69 (plus tax)?

Dave Piehler

N4583H

I’ve found that knee boards are a waste of money, as every fbo has free little note pads that are more functional, especially in a mooney.  I just clip the pen to it and stick it under my thigh or wherever.  $0 amu

Edited by Browncbr1

I just use a regular clip size clip board I have been using since my PPl training in 1986.  It has the stick on cheat codes from sporty's I put on it back then.  It even survive being flooded in the plane during Hurricane Issac.

The larger size sits comfortably across my lap or balanced on one leg.

• Like 1

+1 for clear plastic clip board...

On the clear side... is a one pager of all the facts you know already, but may forget when the pressure is on....

A stack of white paper, sits sideways on your lap....

The clip holds your paper and a pencil under it...

There are two loops on the spring that are handy for clipping pens too...

My fancy clipboard has my name engraved in it...   probably a gift I got in my school days.... several decades ago...

When left in other planes... it seems to make its way home after some time...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Most days it's a $1 hard backed mini notebook from Dollar Tree and an FBO promo pen.

I also have a $50 one from Lift Aviation I purchased discounted at SnF 2019. Its form factor is smaller than the traditional kneeboard and I have been looking for one like that ever since I saw a Zuluworks mini board (they went out of business). But I still use the free FBO pen with it ;) 

22 minutes ago, warren.huisman said:

I also have the Lift kneeboard. It does everything thing I need it to do. It’s comfortable, nice size and has a pen holder.

Warren, I know you're a Lift fan (shoes and all!).  I have a Lift kneeboard.  Love the form fit over the knee.  Not so crazy about how it holds an iPad, and not loving the clear strap that goes over the iPad.  Am I missing something?  The Lift is also just a tad bit bulkier than the plain vanilla aluminum model I mentioned above.  That matters a bit in the flight bag.

As for the Cheap Bastard award, Browncbr1 and midlifeflyer have certainly put me to shame.  The only downside to their approach is that unrestrained pads seem to have a way of sliding off my lap and ending up on the floor. Who needs an instructor to induce an unusual attitude by dropping a pen for me to pick up when I can have the pad do it for me?

Dave 

20 years ago I bought a flight bag, headset and trifold kneeboard off a fledgling Ebay.  The headset is long gone, and the flight bag lives in my hangar pretty much unmolested. But I use the kneeboard all the time. It has a little clipboard and holds my checklists.  It has a pocket that holds my notepad, and has little pen holder thingies to keep my pens in check.  I even keep. calculator in it. And it straps to my leg so it doesn't go flying when I hit bumps.

My wife kindly replaced my el cheapo kneeboard with one that has "IFR information" printed on the front, foam pads on the back and a 1" wide velcro strap, about midway through my instrument training [2009?]. It cost me nothing. I keep two pens on the panel, one on each side, in holders that came with the plane [so did the first two pens]. Periodically the pens must be replaced, so I use free ones from work, the FBO, rental car companies and sometimes ones advertising some fun new medicine that I don't take.

Here's what they look like from Walmart. I've added one to the dash of my truck, the headstock of my lathe and to my bandsaw. They come in quite handy! And are quite inexpensive . . . .

1015463549_PenHolder.thumb.jpg.3a11fec68ae5769fd05195942e4e9e95.jpg

I keep old papers from work and fold them in half--it's a perfect fit for my kneeboard and my budget. Stack them with all folds to the right, they don't snag and crease as easy. Flip top-to-bottom and use the other side, too.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dave Piehler said:

Warren, I know you're a Lift fan (shoes and all!).  I have a Lift kneeboard.  Love the form fit over the knee.  Not so crazy about how it holds an iPad, and not loving the clear strap that goes over the iPad.  Am I missing something?  The Lift is also just a tad bit bulkier than the plain vanilla aluminum model I mentioned above.  That matters a bit in the flight bag.

As for the Cheap Bastard award, Browncbr1 and midlifeflyer have certainly put me to shame.  The only downside to their approach is that unrestrained pads seem to have a way of sliding off my lap and ending up on the floor. Who needs an instructor to induce an unusual attitude by dropping a pen for me to pick up when I can have the pad do it for me?

Dave 

To respond to both comments...

I don't place my iPad in my Lift. I only use it for paper. I prefer my iPad mounted. Besides, my iPad is in a case so it doesn't fit well anyway.

In terms of sliding, it's why I have both. Whether I use the Lift or the naked $1 notebook depends in what I'm doing. VFR and teaching, it's the notebook. IFR it's usually the Lift, especially if I'm not solo.

Dave 

My kneeboard always resides in my airplane and never in the flight bag (I did bring it inside for the clinic but that’s about it). I had a plane aluminum one previously but it is nowhere near as comfortable.

BTW - I do really like the Lift shoes too. Great for formation flying when using lots of rudder….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early in my training, I had a sectional and checklist handy under my leg, and a pad of paper in the pocket by the door (Cessna). It didn’t take long for me to lose the notepad and end up learning unusual attitude recovery that lesson.  Then, I learned “engine failure in cruise” when I dropped my sectional and my CFI took advantage of the situation.  Emergency procedure became immediate memory items shortly after that. Now, I use just a cheap aluminum kneeboard with a couple sheets of paper and a checklist connected via ring clips through holes I drilled in it.  My iPad serves as my map but I do keep a sectional in the back seat just in case.  I’d like a Lift or a Flyboys for a place to easily put a pen but I typically wear collared shirts too so that’s just a nice to have for the odd time I have a polo on. My Citation friend has a non-slip pad on his glare shield with a small clipboard and a couple sheets of paper, and his cheap Bic click pens fit in his control lock when it’s not in use.  

Maybe I just need a Citation.....

• Like 1

I use a moleskin notebook to copy clearances.  Those things got me through graduate school.  

I stole my daughters $20 iPad pen- that think makes writing on my iPad useful compared to my fat fingers.   The best knee pad is a yoke ram mount these days. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bradp said:

I use a moleskin notebook to copy clearances.  Those things got me through graduate school.  

I stole my daughters $20 iPad pen- that think makes writing on my iPad useful compared to my fat fingers.   The best knee pad is a yoke ram mount these days. 

Brad, what do you like about the Moleskine notebooks and which one do you use in the cockpit? I see them all the time but have never understood their popularity.

4 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

Brad, what do you like about the Moleskine notebooks and which one do you use in the cockpit? I see them all the time but have never understood their popularity.

Mark I use this :

https://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Classic-Cover-Notebook-Ruled/dp/8883707184/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=moleskine%2Bclassic%2Bnotebook%2Bsoft%2Bcover&qid=1622717647&sprefix=moleskine%2Bcl&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

6-7 years ago I ordered one and Amazon accidentally sent an entire case :-).  

They’re compact, but don’t get lost in the cockpit.  I either keep in in the seat front pocket or tuck it between the glare shield and the compass. It has an elastic keeper and a little ribbon to keep your page, as well as a little trapper keeper type pocket to keep gas receipts  - I guess that’s why I like them.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bradp said:

That comment caused me to flash back to Blue Books.  Using one of those in the cockpit would likely trigger rapid heart rate and shallow breathing.  Needless to say, not a workable solution.

Dave Piehler

• Haha 1

I have owned an Ultimate Kneeboard for years. https://www.harperaviation.com/product-category/kneeboards/

I had the fixed 7 ring version that was great when I was using Jepp approach plates. But for me, those plates went the way of the Dodo bird. And since I really like the kneeboard, I removed the rings and just use the kneeboard with a Staples notepad. I like being able to rip off the clearance and sticking it on the side window with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/JZMYXA-Suction-Cup-Plastic-Suction-Advertising/dp/B075W8GD1R/ref=asc_df_B075W8GD1R/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241957922100&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8039646266675925891&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007460&hvtargid=pla-400527549313&psc=1

5 hours ago, bradp said:

6-7 years ago I ordered one and Amazon accidentally sent an entire case :-).  

That happened to me once when I ordered razor blades. I literally have a lifetime supply of razor blades now. 

I don’t use a kneeboard anymore. My yoke mounted iPad mini with Apple Pencil works just fine. I don’t miss it at all.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

That happened to me too.  I now have 250 Feather razor blades.  And a beard. 

Anyone with no-longer-desired Gillette Atra twin blade cartridges, let me know. I'll run out early next year, down to my last half-dozen cartridges . . . . .

12 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

That happened to me once when I ordered razor blades. I literally have a lifetime supply of razor blades now. 

I don’t use a kneeboard anymore. My yoke mounted iPad mini with Apple Pencil works just fine. I don’t miss it at all.

I don’t use a knee board either.  iPad + finger works just fine for me.  I don’t even mount it on a yoke- I just look at it when I need it (similar to approach plates).  I should mention I’ve got an Aspen setup with pfd/mfd that shows plates geocentered- so I get a lot of SA offthe panel.  If I didn’t have an MFD- I’d want an iPad on the yoke probably with FlyQ or Foreflight running  for additional SA.

I have seen, amongst some of my friends and students, riveting a clip to the front cover of an iPad- to hold papers if you need them for some reason.  Kind of turns the iPad into a clipboard.  

ive also seen some iPad cases that can clip into a strap on one’s leg.  Seems overly complex/unnecessary to me- but it might be worth looking at if one is looking for a knee board type feel.

I’ll see if I can find some pictures…