We've been attempting to gather quotes for repairs on a 63 M20c and are having a hard time reaching mechanics. We want to find a few to make sure we get the best price possible, and I'm wondering if there is some sort of aircraft mechanic directory somewhere? I've tried looking online but haven't had much luck, just wanted to check here in case I was missing something.

Edited by Sienicwi

There hasn’t been a collection of mechanic contacts posted around here yet....

Trying to find Mooney specific CFIIs has been covered only recently...

It may help to give some detail regarding the amount of work you are looking to have done...

Pics are pretty good at telling the story...

Best regards,

-a-

What kind of repairs?

If you are out west and don't mind bringing the plane to Van Nuys then I have the guy for you.  I brought my plane to him when I bought it.  He only does things the right way though and it takes the airplane to be almost totally dismantled and an open checkbook.  However I have had almost 600 hours trouble free flying since.  He is old school and his comfort zone are these old flying lawn mowers....The only times I wanted to pull my hair out was when I started to base my plane on the east coast and had to use a couple of MSC's out here....

But if you are going to go the cheap bastard route and only do enough to get by then you can use any other mechanic....There is no more FAA oversight in general aviation so they will prob just do the minimum if you ask.....

21 hours ago, carusoam said:

There hasn’t been a collection of mechanic contacts posted around here yet....

Trying to find Mooney specific CFIIs has been covered only recently...

It may help to give some detail regarding the amount of work you are looking to have done...

Pics are pretty good at telling the story...

Best regards,

-a-

Its for repairs from a gear up

13 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

What kind of repairs?

If you are out west and don't mind bringing the plane to Van Nuys then I have the guy for you.  I brought my plane to him when I bought it.  He only does things the right way though and it takes the airplane to be almost totally dismantled and an open checkbook.  However I have had almost 600 hours trouble free flying since.  He is old school and his comfort zone are these old flying lawn mowers....The only times I wanted to pull my hair out was when I started to base my plane on the east coast and had to use a couple of MSC's out here....

But if you are going to go the cheap bastard route and only do enough to get by then you can use any other mechanic....There is no more FAA oversight in general aviation so they will prob just do the minimum if you ask.....

I'm looking for a great mechanic that doesn't overcharge. Unfortunately the plane is not in flying order due to a recent gear up, so unless a mechanic wants to fly out and put a new prop on and fly it back, we will have to look locally.

I gave up on things like quotes long ago.  If the mechanic is well regarded locally I'm good to go. The problem is these airplanes are all old.  You take one apart and you can get into lots of issues that take lots of time.  Same can be said for old houses.

• Like 6

I've had a decent experience with Cascade Aircraft Mgmt so far (haven't finished my first major piece of work with them yet); good communication, reasonable per hour rate, and they have a fair number of Mooney's in and out of the shop.

I was going to say you could call Advantage Aviation at South Valley Regional; they have some Mooneys based at the field there but gear up repairs may be a little outside of what they do and usually they seem really busy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steingar said:

I gave up on things like quotes long ago.  If the mechanic is well regarded locally I'm good to go. The problem is these airplanes are all old.  You take one apart and you can get into lots of issues that take lots of time.  Same can be said for old houses.

Truer words were never spoken.  The other problem is decades of previous poor maintenance that must be overcome along with said repairs.

Clarence

On 6/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, steingar said:

This,

I guess about 20 years ago I started a program where we would take a set of wings that had the spar caps with a 5400 hour life limit and were timed out, tear them apart and install the new 29,000 hour life limited spar.

After doing about a half dozen sets, I stopped it because with all the cracked ribs and corrosion damage etc inside of a 40 year old set of wings by the time you did all the repairs and made the wings airworthy, it took them to about 75% to 85% of the cost of a new set of wings.

For an average of about 15% more you had a brand new set of wings. At first glance the program made economic sense, but faced with all of the hidden damage, it didn’t.

Plus I could quote them to the penny on a new set, the old set I had to tell them honestly there could be a wide difference, but by the time they shipped them to me and we tore into them they had spent so much money they were sort of committed, think sunk cost fallacy.

How do you find a good Dr? I’ve struggled with that forever and have never come up with a good answer. If you ask around it’s likely you’ll get s list of Dr’s with good bedside manners, not level of proficiency, and how would a lay person even know anyway?

I think a mechanic is similar, how do you know prior to the work commencing?

Plus what people are looking for in a mechanic varies greatly, one person places quality above all else, the next guy it’s the size of the bill. Third person it’s how fast the work is accomplished, fourth person is looking for good communication.

37 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

... what people are looking for in a mechanic varies greatly, one person places quality above all else, the next guy it’s the size of the bill. Third person it’s how fast the work is accomplished, fourth person is looking for good communication.

C'mon! I want it all!

Actually, I'd be thrilled with only three:  quick, inexpensive and right.

• Like 1

I agree that a "quote" won't be worth the paper its on. The quote could never anticipate all they find and the cost will increase as things are found.

The cost to repair a C will likely not be "reasonable" which is why insurance companies total them out after a gear up.

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

The cost to repair a C will likely not be "reasonable" which is why insurance companies total them out after a gear up.

Probably the value of a heavily damaged vintage Mooney is such that only owner-assisted (to wit, unpaid) labor can save it from the knackers. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, steingar said:

Me neither and I have to find one.  I like my guy a lot, but he's retiring.

Maybe ask him for a recommendation?

Sometimes people who retire will do some work on the side, some get bored after retirement, but don't want to get into the daily grind again, but something to do and a little extra money can be attractive, so maybe stay in touch with him?

Sorry, you taking Dr or mechanic?

Edited by A64Pilot

If you can’t find a good local mechanic consider growing some talent.  Here is what I did:

I found a youngish A&P/IA about 5 years ago. He wrenches airliners as his day job but wanted PT work on the side. I helped him get set up, I hired him on a fixed retainer for x hours per month and paid an expert to come provide him a few days of type-specific training.  

The plane gets immediate attention to any squawk.  Annual inspections go smoothly.  So far it has worked well & his business is expanding to other owners.  

• Like 5

On 6/2/2021 at 3:28 PM, RobertGary1 said:

I agree that a "quote" won't be worth the paper its on. The quote could never anticipate all they find and the cost will increase as things are found.

While what you are saying makes sense, because we are filing an insurance claim we do have to gather quotes per the insurance companies requirements

On 6/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, steingar said:

Couldn't agree more.  There are zero bargains to be had in Mooney maintenance and repair - certainly not the kind of careful airframe work needed here - price shopping should be low on the list of priorities. 

Get quotes on major work and Avionics installs. When changing mechanics (as when mine retired), I asked what the annual would cost, plus repairs. Build a good relationship with a good A&P and everything will work out alright. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:50 PM, M20Doc said:

Maybe it’s time to buy the other C model listed elsewhere on here for about $4K for a complete airframe and install a replacement engine and prop.

It’s even in Utah,

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/38784-1965-mooney-m20c-salvage/?tab=comments#comment-669662

Clarence

This is good to know! Thank you!