Would love a Mooney flight in Phoenix, AZ. Advice on my first plane also welcome.

mason

Hi All.  I am seriously interested in buying a Mooney, preferably an M20E.  If any AZ owners are up for it, I would love to go for a ride in one.  

This would be my first airplane.  I mostly just need 2 seats but would occasionally want to take up 3 or 4 total.  My main mission objective is cross country flights / traveling around the South West.

I'm also considering a Bellanca Super Viking.  It seems like you get a lot of plane for the money.  I think the ownership cost would be considerably higher than the Mooney.

I am looking to spend around $60k for the right plane.

I have my PPL, but no experience in complex aircraft.

Any advice or planes for sale would be very welcome.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, mason said:

Hi All.  I am seriously interested in buying a Mooney, preferably an M20E.  If any AZ owners are up for it, I would love to go for a ride in one.  

This would be my first airplane.  I mostly just need 2 seats but would occasionally want to take up 3 or 4 total.  My main mission objective is cross country flights / traveling around the South West.

I'm also considering a Bellanca Super Viking.  It seems like you get a lot of plane for the money.  I think the ownership cost would be considerably higher than the Mooney.

I am looking to spend around $60k for the right plane.

I have my PPL, but no experience in complex aircraft.

Any advice or planes for sale would be very welcome.

Thanks!

Where are you?

There are Mooneys all over the place. 

Just now, spectre6573 said:

I’m down at Glendale with a 75C

That would be great!  I do love the C as well.  I'm pretty flexible on my schedule, and can meet you at Glendale airport any time.  I would be happy to split the fuel cost.

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

If you are at chandler, stop on by. My poor Mooney is out on the ramp baking in the sun. the Cessna is in the hangar for a while until I get it back on its feet and finish screwing with the engine.

Just let me know when! :D  Are you by the A taxiway, or off in the main tie down area?

Mason,

Visit with Rich and talk Mooney engines...

There won’t be many people with a fresher memory of every nut and bolt used on the front end of a Mooney!

:)

My O used to live at Chandler... a decade ago...

Best regards,

-a-

8 minutes ago, mason said:

Just let me know when! :D  Are you by the A taxiway, or off in the main tie down area?

I'm not going out today, unless it is later today. I'm working on ADs for a 310 inspection and I have a bass boat to sell and the buyer is coming out today. I'll probably be out Wednesday after work.

6 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I'm not going out today, unless it is later today. I'm working on ADs for a 310 inspection and I have a bass boat to sell and the buyer is coming out today. I'll probably be out Wednesday after work.

Later today or Wednesday afternoon sound great to me.  Thanks!

Please text me any time.  (602) 687-3966.

16 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Mason,

Visit with Rich and talk Mooney engines...

There won’t be many people with a fresher memory of every nut and bolt used on the front end of a Mooney!

:)

My O used to live at Chandler... a decade ago...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for the info.  Everyone here seems very friendly.  The Super Viking forum is kinda dead.

• Like 1

Just now, mason said:

Thanks for the info.  Everyone here seems very friendly.  The Super Viking forum is kinda dead.

A friend of mine had access to a Super Viking about 20 years ago. We flew it quite a bit. It was slightly faster than my M20F. it used 50% more fuel doing it. It wasn't very comfortable to ride in. 

Mooneys are way better....

14 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

A friend of mine had access to a Super Viking about 20 years ago. We flew it quite a bit. It was slightly faster than my M20F. it used 50% more fuel doing it. It wasn't very comfortable to ride in. 

Mooneys are way better....

The Super Viking also has 50% more cylinders to maintain and pay for.  But they have the best 70s interiors with the most velour! :D

1 hour ago, Matt_AZ said:

I’m out at Deer Valley. Just finished my annual & I’m itching to fly. Shoot me a DM if you want to come check out my 77 M20C & compare the short body. - Matt 

I just messaged you.  Thanks!

I just wanted to say thanks to @Matt_AZ.  We just did a flight over Lake Pleasant, from Deer Valley airport in his beautiful 77 M20C.  His is in much nicer shape than anything I would likely end up with.  I was very impressed by the Mooney.  It was fast, and very responsive.  There was a lot of feel through the controller services, but it was also smooth.  I will now ramp up my efforts to get a Mooney :D

• Like 3

Wait a minute! My J has curtains!!!!

Mason, a couple of other things you need to consider for insurance purposes... How many total hours do you have? that might make a big difference. I started in a 4 way partnership in an Ancient Cherokee 180c and built up my hours before investing in our Mooney. I had over 300 hours and my insurance wasn't terrible with the J.

Just now, WaynePierce said:

Wait a minute! My J has curtains!!!!

Mason, a couple of other things you need to consider for insurance purposes... How many total hours do you have? that might make a big difference. I started in a 4 way partnership in an Ancient Cherokee 180c and built up my hours before investing in our Mooney. I had over 300 hours and my insurance wasn't terrible with the J.

Thanks Wayne.  I don't have a lot of hours.  I did get a quote for an M20C I nearly bought, and it wasn't too bad.  $1800/year.  I just had to get 10 hours dual in an M20C, and 20 total hours in an M20C before I could take up passengers.  

I like curtains in planes!  The 60s were the heydays of GA, and I think that was mostly down to the curtains.

I'm partial to the M20E as it is the short body hot rod! It was my first Mooney and I routinely saw 155 kts. It had some speed mods. It is a great plane for your mission. I'm partial to the fuel injected engine. However, the M20C/E/F are all awesome and would fit your mission well.