Pics. Input requested.

eeyore

Though those do not look like "big ticket" items I would be more concerned with what else you WILL find when you get deeper than a visual inspection.  The lack of quality repairs points to a attitude by who ever is maintaining this bird of deferring and bandaid fixes.  Something as simple as the gear well boot should have been fixed properly instead of a bunch of tape on top of tape....  Maybe I'm too anal but I would never let that slide on my Mooney.

I'd pass unless it is a really good deal and if so have the buyers agreement be contingent on a complete annual inspection.

dito all of the above.  The 7000 series of aluminum used in our airplanes structual areas has a tendency to corrode if the heat treat on it was not perfect.  The worst of this is intergrannular which usually pops up on a spar or something.  exposure to an elecrolyte (water) can trigger this.  The corrosion in the picture, and the areas they clearly painted over on the alcad aluminum can be taken care of by just stripping the paint, removing as much corrosion as possible and then etching with alodine and repainting with a corrosion resistant paint.  But the question remains...............what lurks underneath.  

My experience has been where there is smoke there is fire.  Especially in these older airplanes.

I cant tell what is happening in the last picture, clearly there is a couple of non-stock panels, one pop-rivited it looks like, then a cut access panel with what looks like machine screws and tinnerman nuts I would assume. Modification?

That rat boot with duct tape is no big deal, ours is like that.  However, that wide area of corrosion or paint falling off is a concern, as is the area under the battery box where that panel is sticking out.  Perhaps the aluminum was oily or not primed right and the paint is peeling. Thaata no big deal.  It may be corrosion.  Which is a big deal.   Investigate further.  What is the spec sheet and asking price for this plane?

Although it is obviously not the full pre-buy inspected every buyer must do, I wonder if it is OK to ask the pilot / owner to open a few panels and have simple "visuals". I am thinking that it would be easy enough to:

open the tail cone panel / battery acces and look at what is there with a flashlight

remove the engine compartment top cowling and see what the engine / firewall / hoses and fittings look like 

open a couple of wing inspection panels 

If your really that interested, go ahead and do a title search, see if it has been landed on its belly.  Next step is to check the logs, look for 337s (major repairs) due to structural repair, and go ahead and get a prebuy.  Hopefullly it is just some surface issues and everything else is ok.  You don't want to take on a project.

It's always nice to find a plane that is equiped how you want it, good luck!  Smile

That slopped on paint job in the wheel well is classic "I am hiding something I don't want you to see." There are weeping rivets in the upper area that need to be closely looked at. There is also bubbled paint forward and inboard that also needs closer inspection. To me, this is all classic signs of neglect. Just walk away and keep looking.

I think I’d pass on this one at $76k maybe in the $40 to $50k range and as stated above if you are in this ballpark for $ go for a 201.

I know where you can get a 74 Arrow I know this is a Mooney board (20 lashes with a wet noodle for me) but my neighbor is selling his Arrow II with brand new pant and interior the plane is lacking on avionics though but could be had in the $60k range.  Unfortunately he is giving up flying he does not use his plane enough.