First engine malfunction in flight

Hey everyone, thought I’d share my first engine malfunction during flight. While it wasn’t catastrophic, I feel It was a good lesson for me and maybe one of the newbie’s like me out there will learn. 
Took off from APV after normal run up and everything looked great. While climbing out on downwind, felt a little “cough” and shake. Sometimes get this once hitting 5,000’ due to rich mixture, so leaned out a bit. Still had a slight spitter and noticed rpm slightly bounce from 2550 to 2500. (Prop governor?) realized I’ll stay out of airport within glide distance and troubleshoot. Gauges in green, didn’t want to panic but also wanted to be prepared if when I do my mag check and it stops, I’d know what steps to take to fire it up (lean out, back to good mag, and enriched fuel so I don’t get backfire) went to R mag and falls on face a bit. 
Copy, bad mag/wire/spark plug. 
land safely, and try run up again this time he won’t idle much past 500 rpm. 
Checked plugs, okay but put in spares just in case...no joy.

Next day I have local A&P pull mag, and found a broken distributor gear conductor. Spruce had them in stock and while going down to get one, I find they are part of a recall from champion. Here’s the link to bulletin if anyone is interested. My mags have 300 hrs and we’re new in 2015. 

Sure glad to have two mags!

SB1-15A_20181112.pdf

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

SS,

Great details!

Thanks for sharing them...

Please post the link again...

Something didn’t work?

Hmmm... Champion?

They make great spark plugs too...

Do you have a JPI or other engine monitor?

if able, post a link to the data...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Something to do on Flight Review or with your buddy.   Put plane in take off configuration.   assume climb out attitude.   Have your buddy cut the throttle.   Do this several times till the push down on the yoke is immediate and instinctual.

Good that you handled the issue properly and made it back.

• Like 1

Yikes, wow. That gear looks pretty bad and scary to read it only had 100 hrs... perhaps wasn’t changed at overhaul. I’ll snap a pic of the cracked rear plastic when I pickup the plane this week. 
I practice those drills quite often, especially after watching the Dan Grydner(sic) videos. I’ve even put a thin piece of tape on ASI at 90 for my minimum speed at all times...except short final of course. I have three hard fast rules... never drop below 90mph, never fly in remotely in-climate weather ( my minimums are quite high) and never take off without less than 1.5 hours of fuel remaining after landing. I know that puts a lot of restrictions that doesn’t let me take full advantage of a Mooney, but by my accounts you remove about 80% of accidents that way and can always fly another time when conditions allow. 

• Like 1

When my left magneto crapped out at 9500 msl as dusk settled beneath me in SC, turned out the wires inside had shorted and burned through. She ran well on just the right one, but of course would not crank up on the ground. It was a 9-hour drive home, then later back to get the plane.

• Like 1

Having a gear slip a tooth or two...

Is a reason why when a mag goes away on us....

We turn the ignition switch to the single mag position...

Some logical responses may consider leaving the switch on both...

But, once you see how timing can get altered significantly... select the one mag that is still working...

Another piece of logic for not having your mags OH’d at the same time... better to have them hundreds of hours from each other so these type of issues are not prevalent on both mags at the same time...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or maintenance guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1