Non aviation mechanical problem

Will you genius engineering types indulge me with a totally non-aviation problem. I need a mechanism which can be mounted on the side or sides of a box (or perhaps better, the back of the box), to swing it in an arc, out approximately 12 inches and down approximately 18 inches. It should stay in the top position until needed, and then be capable of being moved to the down position. It will need (I think) (1) some sort of "over center" device so it doesn't fall until given a pull, (2) a mechanism to either add friction so it doesn't fall once it starts down, or a spring mechanism to relieve the forces as it goes up and down. I anticipate the total weight of the box and its contents to be about 10 to 15 pounds. 

Anyone have any ideas?

from the non-genius department....

Picture a fancy desk lamp... but strong enough to hold a heavy box...

It has friction locks and springs....

And can twist, stretch, and move in all directions...

The base is a heavy weight...  that can be subbed with a C-clamp...

:)

See if this idea only, helps...

-a-

BF9674E7-871D-431D-8FD2-3A659D15FE32.png

16 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Will you genius engineering types indulge me with a totally non-aviation problem. I need a mechanism which can be mounted on the side or sides of a box (or perhaps better, the back of the box), to swing it in an arc, out approximately 12 inches and down approximately 18 inches. It should stay in the top position until needed, and then be capable of being moved to the down position. It will need (I think) (1) some sort of "over center" device so it doesn't fall until given a pull, (2) a mechanism to either add friction so it doesn't fall once it starts down, or a spring mechanism to relieve the forces as it goes up and down. I anticipate the total weight of the box and its contents to be about 10 to 15 pounds. 

Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/

These guys will have something that will work for you. Just think your payload instead of a monitor.

• Like 1

Sounds like a modern trunk lid mechanism. Check woodworking supply places--Rockler and Klingspor come to mind. I'll look myself later. What may be a problem is the unequal distances up and over.

As an engineer, this is a good application for a 4-bar mechanism. Someone recently posted a baggage door support that locks firmly in place, repurposed from a hardware store, that should carry your load. Hmmm . . .

Actually, my girl friend was describing the difficulty of having to get a step stool to get to the upper shelf of her kitchen spice rack. I thought that if I could design a upper cabinet with an inner box (open on the sides) attached to a pivoting mechanism, I could attach a cabinet door to the inner box. Then rather than swinging the door open, you could "hinge" the door/inner box down, and access it from the side. Hard to describe. Hope that helps.

If I can get it done, I can post a picture or video.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Don, why about mounting something like an under-counter mixer stand mechanism upside down?  That sounds almost perfect for what you need.  

Very good idea. Why didn't I think of that.

You could build a floating bottom panel of a shelf that drops down and out, within easy reach, so long as you don’t have an under counter light.  Even so you could install that on the underside of your drop out panel.