Wings Needed

18 hours ago, Mario Majewski said:

Hello All,

I have a 1980 Mooney m20j 201 .  I’m looking for a good pair of wings for my project.   I could probably use 201 or 231  model .  Anyone that is able to assist , greatly appreciated. 

In 2017 my J was involved in an incident which required a major repair to the wing, on both sides. When the shop that was doing the repair was able to locate a wing from a K model, I got all excited because I'd have larger tanks - but it wasn't meant to be. While it's a simple mechanical process to connect the fuselage from a J to a K wing, the FAA didn't quite see it that way. The shop said that a DER would be required to come up with drawings and all kinds of analysis for the switch, and that the process would not be cheap. While it seems simple enough to do, there are factors involved such as the fuel gauges as well as W&B issues, among other things. In the end, the shop removed sections of the K wing and placed them on the damaged one. Four years later, the plane still flies better than it did before the incident.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

In 2017 my J was involved in an incident which required a major repair to the wing, on both sides. When the shop that was doing the repair was able to locate a wing from a K model, I got all excited because I'd have larger tanks - but it wasn't meant to be. While it's a simple mechanical process to connect the fuselage from a J to a K wing, the FAA didn't quite see it that way. The shop said that a DER would be required to come up with drawings and all kinds of analysis for the switch, and that the process would not be cheap. While it seems simple enough to do, there are factors involved such as the fuel gauges as well as W&B issues, among other things. In the end, the shop removed sections of the K wing and placed them on the damaged one. Four years later, the plane still flies better than it did before the incident.

This is very helpful , I was told that it is approved by mooney however, forgetting that its never easy with aviation.   Thank you for your thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, Mario Majewski said:

This is very helpful , I was told that it is approved by mooney however, forgetting that its never easy with aviation.   Thank you for your thoughts. 

IF Mooney had gained approval, then your in. But I’d bet that they didn’t.

• Like 1

Mario,

Are you a mechanic? Or working with an A&P?

If you don’t have a close relationship with an A&P,   Now would be the time to start one...

There are plenty of details, as you have already found out...  

You kinda need to know that what you are buying is going to match what you have already...

It gets brutally expensive when the numbers don’t match... after you buy something...

Or it takes a long time looking for something, to find out the numbers aren’t the right ones...

General Aviation is really cool... the certified world is vastly different than the experimental world...

Work on putting that plan together...  then execute the plan...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...

Flipping it without being a Mooney mechanic is a financial challenge… :)

It would be an unlikely way to come out ahead financially…

Great way to gain mechanical experience…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

21 hours ago, warren.huisman said:

@Roy Irvin is around here somewhere… he had/has the wings in Flora…  My memory isn’t that good…  but it  did sound familiar…

:)

-a-

On 5/31/2021 at 11:49 PM, carusoam said:

Kind of like putting an acclaim’s engine in an Ovation...

It will fit perfectly...

The only thing missing is about one ream of paperwork... :)

One STC= about one ream of paperwork...

Best regards,

-a-

You are awfully optimistic....only one ream of paperwork?  I would think it is more like barrels and barrels of paperwork. 

• Haha 1