Need a Mooney ride near Saint Louis

Gearhead51

I'm a new student pilot (I flew a lot with my dad as a kid in the '80s) living in an airpark near Saint Louis. I'm looking for something that can take a family of 3 on trips and that I can fly for work. A F or J model Mooney seems to fit the bill by the numbers, but a few of the more seasoned guys in the airpark are telling me I should get a Bonanza or Commanche 250. I haven't been in a Mooney before, but I can get a ride in one of the others easily. I'm learning in a 172 and my instructor will train me in whatever I buy. He has a Bonanza and seems concerned about getting a Mooney in and out. We have 2200' of grass and parallel asphalt runways.

This airpark is a great place. Multiple A&Ps / IA, flight instructors, and commercial pilots. At least one Van's RV zooms past my office window every day the sun is out. Is anybody on here around KSUS, KSET, or KFYG that wants to give a guy a ride?

Welcome back Don...

An instructor with a Bonanza is going to make for a crummy un-biased opinion....  :)

If you like Speed and efficiency...  find a Mooney Transition Trainer, and a Mooney mechanic...

2,200’ turf strip is challenging for a low time pilot... in any of the planes you have mentioned...

All the respect for the brand B and P guys... 

See if @skydvrboy can share some insight with you...

Best regards,

-a-

He's not necessarily biased. He admits that he doesn't know Mooneys and has had an 225-8 powered Bonanza and his current one is a IO-520 powered V35. He knows they can get in and out of the airpark easily and is mostly concerned with slowing a Mooney down enough to land.  We have asphalt as well that is mostly used for takeoff unless it's too wet.  I'll continue to fly the 172 for quite some time. I just want to get something in my hangar and start making it what I want, so it's ready when I'm ready.  We are supposed to be flying to look at a E35 V-tail with the 225-8 today, but the weather is not cooperating.

I appreciate any input anybody has. I wasn't in the market for a Bonanza, but I do like that the 225 and IO-470 can use Mogas. It's quite convenient since we can get ethanol free deliveries to the airpark and a local station has pure 91 octane. If anybody knows of a good F or J Mooney for sale, let me know. I'm checking classifieds here, TAP, and Barnstormers hourly. I like the C as well, but who knows how tall this 7 year old is going to get. I plan to own for the long haul.

21 hours ago, Gearhead51 said:

I'm a new student pilot (I flew a lot with my dad as a kid in the '80s) living in an airpark near Saint Louis. I'm looking for something that can take a family of 3 on trips and that I can fly for work. A F or J model Mooney seems to fit the bill by the numbers, but a few of the more seasoned guys in the airpark are telling me I should get a Bonanza or Commanche 250. I haven't been in a Mooney before, but I can get a ride in one of the others easily. I'm learning in a 172 and my instructor will train me in whatever I buy. He has a Bonanza and seems concerned about getting a Mooney in and out. We have 2200' of grass and parallel asphalt runways.

This airpark is a great place. Multiple A&Ps / IA, flight instructors, and commercial pilots. At least one Van's RV zooms past my office window every day the sun is out. Is anybody on here around KSUS, KSET, or KFYG that wants to give a guy a ride?

I just landed yesterday at KALN, for a long weekend with the world’s best grandsons and their parents, who live in Edwardsville. Had planned to land at SET, but that was suddenly a very bad idea, with orange and lavender radar returns over it.  We will be headed back east on Tuesday, so if you can get away midday then, you’d be welcome to consider the merits of a Mooney 20S Screaming Eagle. Except for its thirst, it is a wonderful traveling machine. Fast, comfortable, excellent UL, lots of room for baggage. I love mine. It might be a handful for a freshly-fledged pilot, but maybe worth saving your nickels for when you’re comfortable, and instrument rated.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great idea. I don't think I should get in something that hot. I'll be disappointed when I get into an older model, but I'll certainly see if I can play hookie for a few hours Tuesday. KALN is 1.5h by car from my home @ 02MO.

@Gearhead51 I operated an F model out of a 2200’ grass strip for a year. Mine had power lines directly over the runway on one end so it was pretty much one way in one way out unless the winds were strong. It was doable even in the heat of the summer if kept light, ie. pick the family up at the main airport when filing all four seats, luggage, etc.

You will have to be on speed and on target or go around, probably best to land on the grass and take off on the asphalt since that’s an option.  Practice your short field at a longer airstrip until you can do 1500’ every time.

PM me if you want to talk about it more.

I actually bought my Mooney M20K at KFYG last year. I would never consider a 2200' strip as adequate for me. I cannot speak about the older models as have no experience with them. 

2200’ takes getting used to...

My LB has been in and out of 2200’...

But, doing it every day...

One would want to know where you are going to land in the event of engine out...

T/O is easy...

Landing requires acquired skill...:)

What is at either end of the runway?

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoam a short fence about 100' from one end and a house about 300' from the other, but corn fields are everwhere if you can miss those two obstacles. I'm looking at the older models that seem to have shorter take off and landing distances (not a K). A Bonanza and Comanche 250 are in and out all the time. If a Mooney can't do it, I'll look at something else.

@Amelia no problem. I'm wrapped up in a bit of work anyway. If I was going to get out that way, I was going to shoot south from there to look at a Bonanza and a Vans RV, so it wouldn't have been a wasted trip.

@skydvrboy I'm up for discussion. I haven't purchased anything yet, but I'm on a few forums of various makes getting info. Unfortunately, there aren't any Mooneys in the airpark.

12 hours ago, Gearhead51 said:

@carusoam a short fence about 100' from one end and a house about 300' from the other, but corn fields are everwhere if you can miss those two obstacles. I'm looking at the older models that seem to have shorter take off and landing distances (not a K). A Bonanza and Comanche 250 are in and out all the time. If a Mooney can't do it, I'll look at something else.

@Amelia no problem. I'm wrapped up in a bit of work anyway. If I was going to get out that way, I was going to shoot south from there to look at a Bonanza and a Vans RV, so it wouldn't have been a wasted trip.

@skydvrboy I'm up for discussion. I haven't purchased anything yet, but I'm on a few forums of various makes getting info. Unfortunately, there aren't any Mooneys in the airpark.

Mooney will handle that well.

Lighlty loaded, my M20R is off the ground in 800’...

If I have engine problems... there is still room to do something, like stop.

Some short runways are in a city environment... 

I wouldn’t want to recommend a single engine plane in that environment...   :)

It’s OK to do that without my recommendation...   

Pp thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-