A tks stall strip glue question

Hello Mooney space brain trust.

I was just this evening filling up with fuel and pre-flight with the intention to fly to Shiloh, TN tomorrow...

Well I need to scrub for the issue you see in the pictures.  I found that one of my tks stall strips is very loose and hanging on by a thread.  I actually lost one just this way about 6 or 7 years ago on my way home from Oshkosh - it fell off in flight from 18k kerplunk right into lake Michigan.  Not only are these things $2500 but at that time they were back ordered for months and months.  So I am very pleased about catching this one earlier.

Question: what is the right glue product to reglue it?  Some kind of pro-seal?  Does anyone know exactly?  If I know what to buy I will order it overnight asap.  We have capable general mechanics locally who work with a local airline and they can certainly do the fix for me, but it will go much faster if I just present the right product in their hands.  I am hoping now to be able to go maybe Saturday?

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

7 minutes ago, alextstone said:

Chemseal CS3204B1/2.

I had that happen in Telluride once.  I taped it down with Painters edge tape and flew it home to MS. 

I have the instructions from CAV aerospace.  PM me if you want them

Thanks!  I will order that right this sec!!!

I will pm you right now too.

Make sure you clean the panel with the proper solution, I can’t remember their recommendation but some should not be used on the leading edge panel as it attacks the membrane.  I think we let ours cure at least 24 hrs as well. $2.5 k for a replacement, I’m glad you didn’t drop another one in the big lake!

One thing CAV advised me is they are running a small bead of RTV around the edge of the strip in their new installations. This prevents moisture getting behind and lifting the strip when it freezes. I used a dental syringe, filled it with silver RTV, trimmed the tip for the appropriate bead and ran a bead around the strip being careful not to plug pores on the strip itself. It has worked great and it seams much more robust and durable.

https://www.amazon.com/TecUnite-Disposable-Measurement-Irrigation-Mouthwash/dp/B07SL847D8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=17MEVOHFGJKNU&dchild=1&keywords=dental%2Bsyringe%2Bwith%2Bcurved%2Btip&qid=1622073915&sprefix=dental%2Bsyringe%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWkY3OVZFN0hINThYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDIxNTc2MlpKQzA2NVBUSUZXWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzMyMzk0MlBSQkZFUDU0SElGMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

• Like 3

17 hours ago, GeeBee said:

One thing CAV advised me is they are running a small bead of RTV around the edge of the strip in their new installations. This prevents moisture getting behind and lifting the strip when it freezes. I used a dental syringe, filled it with silver RTV, trimmed the tip for the appropriate bead and ran a bead around the strip being careful not to plug pores on the strip itself. It has worked great and it seams much more robust and durable.

https://www.amazon.com/TecUnite-Disposable-Measurement-Irrigation-Mouthwash/dp/B07SL847D8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=17MEVOHFGJKNU&dchild=1&keywords=dental%2Bsyringe%2Bwith%2Bcurved%2Btip&qid=1622073915&sprefix=dental%2Bsyringe%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWkY3OVZFN0hINThYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDIxNTc2MlpKQzA2NVBUSUZXWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzMyMzk0MlBSQkZFUDU0SElGMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Thanks.  What is rtv?  You linked to an applicator to apply the bead.

I have the Chemseal CS3204B1/2 in overnight mail to me already to arrive tomorrow.

E

2 hours ago, CAV Ice said:

@GeeBee the stall triggers are sealed on with a PRC type sealant (integral fuel tank sealant).  This creates the seal between the stall trigger and the panel.  Additional RTV type sealant is optional and not as strong as PRC, but not a bad idea.

Thanks Jason.  Also what is RTV?  See my question of the same above contrasting it to the Chemseal CS3204B1/2 I already ordered.

RTV is silicon sealant. To be sure it is not as strong as the Chemseal, and should not be used as a substitute.  Its only purpose is to prevent migrating liquid in any gaps behind the strip going there and freezing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

RTV is silicon sealant. To be sure it is not as strong as the Chemseal, and should not be used as a substitute.  Its only purpose is to prevent migrating liquid in any gaps behind the strip going there and freezing.

Thanks!  I will do that too then.

E

Room

Temperature

Vulcanizing

Silicone

The vulcanizing is the chemical cross-linking of the silicone molecules that turns it into a solid rubber...

The Room Temperature part makes it convenient for us to use...

Pretty much ordinary silicone from the aviation aisle at your favorite bright orange big box store... the silicone tube will probably be clearly marked with the letters RTV right on it...   

Its so obvious when you see it, but you probably hadn’t noticed it before...   :)

PP thoughts only, not a polymer chemist...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A reminder to all you Mooney drivers who have TKS.  Check the stall strips and ensure it is still bonded well to the wing.  It's a $1200 replacement part.  Re-gluing it isn't difficult but does take a little patience and time.   Don't ask me how I know....

Edited by warren.huisman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, warren.huisman said:

Check the stall strips and ensure it is still bonded well to the wing.

One of mine needs to be redone, but I don't see how to mark the current location with something that won't be abraded or washed away when cleaning off the old adhesive.  After everything is cleaned up, there won't be any sign of where it was originally attached.  I recall Bob Kromer talking about how 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch can make a big difference.  Maybe @CAV Ice or @CAV Ice Protection can offer some guidance.

• Like 1

I would mask around the installed stall strip with masking tape to mark where it is currently, remove the strip, abrade the surface per the instructions and re-glue it…. Do you have the instructions from Cav ice? I can send them to you if you don’t already have them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, warren.huisman said:

Do you have the instructions from Cav ice?

I have 3 files I downloaded from here a couple of months ago.  Not understanding the tape.  I understand marking the current location with tape, but when I take it off to remove the old adhesive, I'm back to not having a reference to original position.  Maybe if we apply the tape a certain distance from the stall strip that is a little outside the old adhesive, then I could leave the tape in place while cleaning and re-attaching the strip?