No yoke landing

5 hours ago, kerry said:

Interesting event to think about.  My thought would be to stay in the left seat and reach over with my right hand to control the plane.  I might have to practice the situation incase the event ever repeats itself.

I have never tried using right controls from the left seat.  Practice it and share the results.  

I practiced right seat flight, in case I ever needed it (no intention of being a CFI).  It paid off for me when I lost pilot side brakes, and co-pilot ones still worked, permitting an uneventful landing.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2021 at 4:21 PM, midlifeflyer said:

A DPE (20 gazillion hour pilot) friend of mine once demonstrated a hands off landing to me. Rudder for directional control, trim for pitch control.

A game we used to play in the little Cessnas was to use the doors for directional controls, that sprang from using your arms out of the windows.

Good friend sort of successfully landed an S2R-T660 Thrush when the elevator push pull tube broke by using pitch trim, he did bend the airplane, but limped away from the event. I think he got addled because it’s not all that hard to land a Thrush with just trim, it’s on a lever so full up to full down is instantly available, and it powerful enough to just about put the airplane in a stall.

https://thrushaircraft.com/support/technical-publications/Service Bulletins/sb-ag-54 S2R-T660 ELEVATOR PUSH-PULL TUBE END FITTING INSPECTION.pdf

• 6 months later...

Dredging up an old thread.  I noticed someones yoke broke on the vintage Mooney Facebook page.  Fortunately it was the co pilots side.  Starting to wonder how many times this has happened (or will happen).  I've never liked the way my pilots side yoke rocks a little on the shaft.  I snug up the set screw any time this happens.  I think I need to find the service bulletin or AD for the yokes and revisit inspection requirements.  Mine has been inspected but this failure on Facebook leaves me wondering if these things are more prone to failure than we may realize.  Any time I find myself pulling hard on the yoke, I always add my other hand to even out the pressure and take the torque off the yoke shaft.  How much faith should we have in the inspection criteria?  Thoughts welcome.  

1 hour ago, DCarlton said:

Dredging up an old thread.  I noticed someones yoke broke on the vintage Mooney Facebook page.  Fortunately it was the co pilots side.  Starting to wonder how many times this has happened (or will happen).  I've never liked the way my pilots side yoke rocks a little on the shaft.  I snug up the set screw any time this happens.  I think I need to find the service bulletin or AD for the yokes and revisit inspection requirements.  Mine has been inspected but this failure on Facebook leaves me wondering if these things are more prone to failure than we may realize.  Any time I find myself pulling hard on the yoke, I always add my other hand to even out the pressure and take the torque off the yoke shaft.  How much faith should we have in the inspection criteria?  Thoughts welcome.  

The 201 yoke failure was just out of a major service, and was not a fatigue failure or design flaw. 

12 hours ago, Bolter said:

The 201 yoke failure was just out of a major service, and was not a fatigue failure or design flaw. 

The yoke that failed this week on Facebook was not a 201.  It was pre 201.  Reported as a 74 M20C.  Reference the Vintage Mooney Group post 7 hrs ago.  

363415990_10229847470751716_8453308398067810893_n.jpg

12 hours ago, DCarlton said:

The yoke that failed this week on Facebook was not a 201.  It was pre 201.  Reported as a 74 M20C.  Reference the Vintage Mooney Group post 7 hrs ago.  

Yes. I was referring the 201 failure that was the start of the thread, and part of the YouTube videos. I wanted to emphasize that there is not a similarity between the older failure and this newer C model failure. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:50 PM, Bolter said:

Major service on the yoke? (heh heh)

If it wasn't a fatigue or design flaw it must have been a defective part or a maintenance induced failure (was removed and reinstalled incorrectly).

Not sure about the later yokes, but the older yokes uses a taper pin and a set screw. My guess is the taper pin was over tightened to correct a yoke that was loose (rocks side to side) when the set screw was the one that needed attention.