L3 NGT9000R

I'm thinking about buying an NGT9000 and I'm inclined to go for the remote unit.  You know, keep the panel minimalistic.  I'm interested to hear from other people that went for an NGT9000 why they did or didn't go for the panel-mounted version.  Important detail: I live in Europe where we don't have FIS-B, XM wx, ADS-B UAT or any of that good stuff.  So knowing this, would you go for a panel mounted unit ?  I'd operate the xpdr via an IFD 540.

I can't speak for the remote unit but I had a panel mount in my PA-18 SuperCub and I loved it. Very easy to use, a lot of info in a small space and space was at a premium in that airplane. The remote unit of course would not work, because there was no place to mount it in that airplane. The product is really built good and really reliable.

• Like 2

I was not aware that these came in remote units.  Will it include the 'lightning detection'?  And can you control it with the IFD540 that would make it a really nice unit?

I'm also doing the minimalist approach in a 252 - remote transponder, audio panel, stormscope, XM etc.

Aerodon

I have a 9000R but haven't installed it yet.  Same idea here, minimalist panel.  I'll have a PMA 450b. IFD540, SL30, remote NGT900R.  

I debated a lot over the remote or panel mount.  I just love the idea of a tidy and small avionics stack. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

I'm thinking about buying an NGT9000 and I'm inclined to go for the remote unit.  You know, keep the panel minimalistic.  I'm interested to hear from other people that went for an NGT9000 why they did or didn't go for the panel-mounted version.  Important detail: I live in Europe where we don't have FIS-B, XM wx, ADS-B UAT or any of that good stuff.  So knowing this, would you go for a panel mounted unit ?  I'd operate the xpdr via an IFD 540.

I absolutely love my NGT 9000+. Mine is not a remote unit but I have it wired into the Aspen 2000 and the GTN 650. On the Aspens, I get all of the weather & traffic products, on the GTN, only the traffic shows up and of course I get everything on the unit itself.

Since you won’t be receiving the FIS/TIS stuff, I would look at the active traffic unit. It does a great job of pinging the non-ADS-B traffic.

If you have a WX-500 StormScope, the 9000 does a nice job of allowing you to display the output.

23ddfc86ef1d8d921c3741b2a5531a5e.jpg

Traffic (TIS-Bravo)

9c8c2753f78423c121b3e632c3c0312a.jpg

Weather (FIS-Bravo)

c64a0afed573fb1904ed529a8901383f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Really funny if you put a lynx unit remote on the avionics shelf...

Literally a cat in the trunk... :)

Schrödinger would be proud!

With BT and WiFi... you can tell if the cat is live or dead, without opening the trunk!

Probably something only a science/engineering professor is going to appreciate...:)

Modern technology of sensors has come an extremely long way.

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

With BT and WiFi... you can tell if the cat is live or dead, without opening the trunk!

Wouldn’t the Avidyne alert you about the cat’s health on startup ?  I’d expect a quick systems diagnosis when the avionics switch comes on.

Also, I think we can exchange the cat for a parrot in this case :)

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2021 at 6:13 PM, Aerodon said:

And can you control it with the IFD540 that would make it a really nice unit?

Yes, Avidyne and L3 are best buddies on that front.  Avidyne even promotes the NGT9000 if you need diversity.  They often do rebates on combo’s (IFD+NGT9000).

5 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

I love mine, and wouldn’t hesitate to install it again on my next aircraft.

@StevenL757, I noticed you installed your L3 on the right hand side in the panel.  I guess it is hooked up to your GTN750 ?  Would you say that you rather look at your 750 for traffic info + wx and that you merely use the L3 head to operate the xpdr ?

8 hours ago, Airways said:

@StevenL757, I noticed you installed your L3 on the right hand side in the panel.  I guess it is hooked up to your GTN750 ?  Would you say that you rather look at your 750 for traffic info + wx and that you merely use the L3 head to operate the xpdr ?

The Lynx is connected to and displays traffic on the 750Xi, 650Xi, and G500TXi.  I reference combined TCAS and ADS/B traffic on the TXi first, mainly because its in my scan.  If I need to flip the TXi over to terrain or weather, I can reference traffic on either GTN…or vice-versa.  Rarely do I use the Lynx for traffic reference, as I have a GDL69 installed which displays WX on all Garmin displays.

You’re correct, in that I reference the actual Lynx display less than the other displays for both traffic and weather, but as the Garmin displays don’t show the differences between Lynx’s ADS/B and TCAS targets (Garmin uses the same universal TCAS/TCAS1 symbology for both types), I reference the Lynx’s display to show me those differences.

• Like 2

[mention=12500]StevenL757[/mention], I noticed you installed your L3 on the right hand side in the panel.  I guess it is hooked up to your GTN750 ?  Would you say that you rather look at your 750 for traffic info + wx and that you merely use the L3 head to operate the xpdr ?

Having the traffic display on the units in front of you is great but as you can see in the photos below, there can be a lot of traffic to sort through. I fly the corridor between Philly and the Washington/Baltimore a fair amount. In addition to the usual VFR traffic, you have the commercial traffic heading in and out of the metros.

The real power of the 9000 is the ATAS capability. With the unit verbally telling you where the traffic conflict is, there is little doubt where your focus should be.

b0ab77a4f0e7f5c7d0a3a268a86cade5.jpgd8d028cdedf4feca836b485ad1f56adb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I get the impression that, although it looks very slick, the xpdr head in the panel has no added value/functionality provided the interface via the MFD works well.  I’ll try to figure out whether the IFD540 differentiates between TCAS & ADS-B symbology…

I had the remote mount lynx in my Cirrus.  I have the panel mount in my Mooney.  Like the panel mount much better.  The only reason I could find to do remote mount was if the panel mount physically just didn’t fit, like it didn’t in my cirrus.  We sell 10x to 1 of the panel mount vs remote mount.  image.thumb.jpeg.7552a842f532ff4d0664a5baba9eada1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7552a842f532ff4d0664a5baba9eada1.jpeg