Lower-baffle Rod?

Hi, folks,

I'm in the middle of our first annual (owner-assisted) on a 1965 M20C, and one of the A&Ps noticed that the small rod that tightens the lower baffles is missing on the left side.  Does anyone happen to know if this is unobtanium or if there's a way to track down a replacement?

The attached photos show where the right one is and the empty brackets where it *should* go on the left side.

Any leads appreciated!

RightSide-1.jpeg

LeftsideMissing-2.jpeg

LeftSideMissing-1.jpeg

Somebody went through this exercise not that long ago...

See if using a good search uncovers that thread...

It is needed for proper cylinder CHT control... they don’t last forever...  should be able to find some...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

When I had a cylinder replaced a year or so ago, they noticed that I was missing one as well and another was worn bad enough that it was going to come off on its own eventually.  My shop had one of them on the shelf and the other they made, as Clarence suggested.  It was a fairly easy part to make.

I searched pn 600029-2 on Controller.com and didn’t get any hits.  Loewen Mooney Salvage sold me one a year or so ago so you might try that, or the Reaper.

If you end up making one, at least you have one to use as an example.    

image.thumb.png.dd56a3a069ff591aa1192ac5210df41d.png

image.thumb.png.88f61d26cb85e42274f1a04c8f59b8ab.png

• Like 1

I was missing one as well, A&P didn’t even stutter when he told me to just make one. I ended up making 2. The existing one was worn badly and wouldn’t have lasted long. When installing make sure they don’t contact the oil return tubes

3 hours ago, Yourpilotincommand said:

Mine is missing on one side too… a previous mechanic used Safety wire… it appears to be a good fix.

Safety wire will saw right through the baffling, make sure where it goes through there is generally a steel washer it “pulls “ against so it can’t cut the aluminum 

• Like 1

If you want to use safety wire, get some #10 screws with holes in the ends for cotter pins, screw them into the baffling holes pointing towards each other and put a steel locknut on them. Then put lock wire between the cotter pin holes. It will never wear out the baffle.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses!  My A&P mentioned piano wire and a thread die which I can give a try. Sounds like the main thing is to make sure it's clear of the oil return tubes and if safety wire is used to make sure a washer is used so it doesn't wear/bite through where it's connected to the baffle.

Use caution with all things rubbing under the cowling...

The harder materials saw through the softer materials... without much warning...

Aluminum parts are extra easy to saw through...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Someone used safety wire on mine.   I made rods.  Then the kind of repaired, safety wire cut through baffels  broke the lower ends.  So I riveted a new piece on the bottom of the baffell.    Now the other side had broken.   More riveting excitement to come.