Apollo GX 55 database supported?

I was speaking with a potential new Mooniac who is looking at a J with not one but two Apollo GX-55s.  Last I understood Jepp and Garmin both discontinued database support for these units.  I told him I doubted that the plane was able to be considered /G and file for approaches or enroute as the database seems to be kaput. 

Can someone confirm? 

https://support.jeppesen.com/partner?pc=&pid=&pp=a3a60000000ZNSgAAO&pt=a3a0z000000pPHIAA2

They stopped supplying nav data, so if you had the ability to verify all of the points on the approach and the box would let you, you could legally shoot that approach. But time to think about replacing it. These go’s boxes were great back in the day for those who had Apollo lorans since the wiring was the same, just needed a new antenna.

It depends upon how the Approved Flight Manual Supplement was written.  Typically they would state that using an expired database was acceptable for enroute and terminal operations if the waypoints to be used were verified.  Most prohibited flying a GPS approach without an updated database.

So he would still file /G, but be very limited beyond flying direct.  Again, to be sure, he'd have to read his AFMS.

As Lance said above, it's probably time to swap out at least one for something new.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Lancecasper and hammdo, I have an old Loran II Morrow in my panel. Since the GX series is no longer an option, are you saying that a GPS 175, or a GNX375 would fin without much work on wiring? I would like to go direct from Loran to GPS 175 if possible. Looking for ideas.

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, docjeffry said:

Lancecasper and hammdo, I have an old Loran II Morrow in my panel. Since the GX series is no longer an option, are you saying that a GPS 175, or a GNX375 would fin without much work on wiring? I would like to go direct from Loran to GPS 175 if possible. Looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Lots of wiring but not much panel surgery since it should fit in the same footprint.

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

@docjeffry, did you see the responses to your question above?

I saw you stop by earlier, but couldn’t tell if you got here…

Go MS!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Yes I did. Thank you. I'm finding out there is a lot to consider when looking at a panel upgrade. This plane, I think all I want is a fun flyer so I am not going to go too extravagant. 

~J~ 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, docjeffry said:

, I think all I want is a fun flyer so I am not going to go too extravagant. 

~J~ 

I felt the same when I started with an M20C, with a minimal panel….

A decade later it was followed up with an M20R…

Coming up on that next decade soon….  And all the old 90s gear is starting to show its age…

:)

-a-

23 hours ago, docjeffry said:

Yes I did. Thank you. I'm finding out there is a lot to consider when looking at a panel upgrade. This plane, I think all I want is a fun flyer so I am not going to go too extravagant. 

~J~ 

Yeah, I said the same thing, then did dual g5s and gnc 355 ;o)

trutrack will be next...

when it hits, it just doesn't stop ;o)

-Don

• Haha 1