N261TA restoration

Gubni

16 hours ago, Gubni said:

It has the original tach and the jpi digital neither one work. Both sensors were left on the motor when it was sent off to be rebuilt and neither came back. The JPI was easy to order the replacement but still didn't work. The original was with Bendix maga and I have Slick mags and I can't find a direct cross over replacement. I ordered a generic version and I'm waiting to see if it works.

.It is based at KTRI, but Greeneville is close.

You need an approved primary tach.  Even if you get the JPI EDM700 to display RPM it's only for supplemental information and not legal for flight if you don't have a approved primary tach. 

Both of these are approved and could replace the ship's approved tach:

https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/slim-line-tach/

https://iflyei.com/product/r-1-rpm-tachometer-instrument/

(the EI should fit right in the same hole with the adapter plate that they sell)

@oregon87 who works for EI could chime in and help possibly

Horizon used to make an electronic tach that would have worked but they are no longer in business.

• Thanks 1

Our R-1 is indeed certified as a primary replacement and fits in a standard 2-1/4" instrument hole.  If the existing tach to be replaced is a 3-1/8" unit, we provide the adapter plate in the package, as well as the cap for the tach cable.  Additionally, as we pick up the signal directly off the p-leads via provided isolators (resistors), there are no additional sensors to install, or wiring to be run through the firewall as the RPM inputs can be picked up off the mag switch.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, oregon87 said:

Our R-1 is indeed certified as a primary replacement and fits in a standard 2-1/4" instrument hole.  If the existing tach to be replaced is a 3-1/8" unit, we provide the adapter plate in the package, as well as the cap for the tach cable.  Additionally, as we pick up the signal directly off the p-leads via provided isolators (resistors), there are no additional sensors to install, or wiring to be run through the firewall as the RPM inputs can be picked up off the mag switch.  

While I don't understand most of that, I have sent it to my A&P as an alternate if he doesn't get the original to work.

• Like 1

Personally, the R1 is easier to install, which means cheaper labor, than getting a factory one working that is missing the sensor on the mag. Its only $550. 

The JPI sensor for the pressurized mags in $360.

I have both RPM indications - R1 and EDM-900.