N261TA restoration

Gubni

2 hours ago, Schllc said:

Not sure about his handle changing. I emailed him about a door seal and he said he deleted his account on Mooneyspace and would not be returning.

Might have been some unkind posts.  That's a shame.  I hope he is still making the seals.  Everyone who has them thinks they are great.  I think he hangs out on BeechTalk.

3 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Did his handle change recently?  I don't recall seeing "GeeGeeBee" before.  Might just be a feeble brain on my end.

Yeah I think I put the wrong handle in there. I can't find his other one. Looks like he left Mooneyspace. He is very popular among the Beech owners: https://csobeech.com/GeeBee.html

I've always had very good dealings with him.

5 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

I have always been curious about this statement on the webstore for GeeBee Aeroproducts.  Showing my ignorance, is this a big deal for baffling, hoses, door seals etc... (all the stuff he sells)?

*Products in the GeeBee Store are not currently FAA/PMA approved, so consult your

A&P/IA for guidance regarding installation and use on certified aircraft.

It is up to the installer to determine whether a part is suitable for installation, and then it may get another look at annual inspection by your IA (if that's a different person).    If they're both good with it, then you're fine.    Their opinions are the only ones that matter for your airplane, so his guidance is 100% appropriate.

He went through the ringer with the FAA a few years ago and came out seemingly unscathed, and at least unchanged on how he was doing business.   So he's already been looked at pretty thoroughly.   

There are tons of non-PMA parts that go on airplanes.   One does need to be diligent and careful, but it's often not nearly as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Might have been some unkind posts.  

Actually, the unkind posts were his.

He would regularly tell folks here that the hoses/seals/materials that they installed were junk and that their A&Ps were incompetent because they installed them.  A few of us pointed out (me included) that Gibney made good products but he didn’t have to denigrate others in order to sell more of his stuff.  Evidently he got his feelings hurt and left.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Actually, the unkind posts were his.

He would regularly tell folks here that the hoses/seals/materials that they installed were junk and that their A&Ps were incompetent because they installed them.  A few of us pointed out (me included) that Gibney made good products but he didn’t have to denigrate others in order to sell more of his stuff.  Evidently he got his feelings hurt and left.  

Like all of us here, unique in our own ways.  His products were/are the best, and he wasn’t shy sharing his beliefs.

1 minute ago, Rick Junkin said:

Ouch. Good preflight inspection find by your designated pilot. Did he find anything else?

A little more time, a little more money and you'll be back on course.

Cheers,
Rick

No, that's all he found.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gubni said:

Grounded at the last moment. I had a pilot with Mooney experience come by to fly it and he noticed this.

KIMG0400.JPG

KIMG0401.JPG

Other than flaking paint and some corrosion, what am I missing?  I'm sure it's bad but I'm not seeing it.  Duh.  Is there a dent and crack ? 

Just now, DCarlton said:

Other than flaking paint and some corrosion, what am I missing?  I'm sure it's bad but I'm not seeing it.  Duh.  

It has been over steered and big dent in one of the tubes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCarlton said:

Is there a dent and crack ? 

Looks like both to me… that was done with tug.  It’s as bad if not worse than any I’ve seen. Hopefully LASAR has rebuilt trusses in stock.

@Gubni good idea to inspect the nose gear for play in other areas. You’re definitely replacing the upper nose truss.  It might be prudent to buy a completely rebuilt nose gear from LASAR.

https://lasar.com/lasar-stc-upper-nose-gear-truss

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, carusoam said:

@Gubni have you seen @mosesk?

He is selling a new nose gear he recently purchased… that has the west design to prevent the dent…

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you for thinking of me. I already got one. It was a little over $1300 from LASAR.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I got a local A&P to put on the SCAT tubing and work on some of the details. He didn't like the condition of the airbox and said that had to be fixed first. We got that fixed last week. I am hopeful that he will start trying to fix the tachs next. Once I get them fixed I will try to get the AI to finish the annual.

• Like 1

It has the original tach and the jpi digital neither one work. Both sensors were left on the motor when it was sent off to be rebuilt and neither came back. The JPI was easy to order the replacement but still didn't work. The original was with Bendix maga and I have Slick mags and I can't find a direct cross over replacement. I ordered a generic version and I'm waiting to see if it works.

.It is based at KTRI, but Greeneville is close.

Engine OH lesson #1…

Know what goes, and what stays, before sending…

Too many things get left on a shelf at the OH shop… with no record of what it is or who owns it…

I good phone call to the right person, may be able to find them…

Good luck!

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Engine OH lesson #1…

Know what goes, and what stays, before sending…

Too many things get left on a shelf at the OH shop… with no record of what it is or who owns it…

I good phone call to the right person, may be able to find them…

Good luck!

Best regards,

-a-

I tried and he said he didn't get it.