N261TA restoration

Gubni

On 5/29/2021 at 3:37 PM, M20Doc said:

I’d be curious to know how Jewel’s pricing works out for a complete engine overhaul.  Their on line price list doesn’t include accessories.  Do they use new cylinders or overhaul your old ones?

Clarence

25B5DA49-7274-4905-ABC5-A0D0CD66B4BD.jpeg

They generally reuse cylinders. Paul's rebuild was about $32,000 and they expect mine to be about the same. I am going to send off my Alternators, Starter, and Turbo to other companies for IRAN.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I shipped the engine off to Jewell. I did get a call from Cody saying my prop had been cut down before and could not be cut down any more so it cannot be reused. I am planning to send the turbo and accessories to Main Turbo in California.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gubni said:

Today I shipped the engine off to Jewell. I did get a call from Cody saying my prop had been cut down before and could not be cut down any more so it cannot be reused. I am planning to send the turbo and accessories to Main Turbo in California.

Main is number one in turbos and there service is awesome too.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gubni said:

What prop are you going to replace it with? It might be pricey but good time to consider a MT or a 3 blade harztell.

40 minutes ago, AerostarDriver said:

What prop are you going to replace it with? It might be pricey but good time to consider a MT or a 3 blade harztell.

Cody has 2 used blades he is hooking me up with. 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 2:26 AM, carusoam said:

For a moment…

I was wondering what you were going to do about the third blade… :)

Looks like you are making good headway Gub!

Got any pics of your project?

Best regards,

-a-

I took many pictures as we disassembled it, but there's not much to see there. One the first page of this you will find some pics of the plane.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Current update: I now have my prop back. Cody replaced the blades and sent my old ones back to me. The engine, 2 alternators, starter, turbo, and 02 tank are being inspected and serviced. The prop governor had to be replaced. I have ordered new motor mounts, baffling, and a broken heat sensor. 

I am hoping to finish my PPL training by the end of the month and have my Checkride by the middle of August and fly my plane with a CFI by the end of September. Then in October be free, lol. Of course I want to go to IFR very soon. Its good to have goals, right?

• Like 4

Just now, Urs_Wildermuth said:

Great to hear you are getting on.

The engine is getting overhauled, right?

Yes by David Jewell. He said it had stuck valves and bent push rods is why it was only running on 4 cylinders.

• Like 1

Update from David Jewell

Two cylinders are not repairable due to stuck valves. The accessory case, crankcase and crankshaft look good. 4 cylinders are good.

Due to weather and limited CFI availability I don't have my check ride scheduled yet, but still making progress.

Back on the subject of transition training when you get around to flying your 261. Just be aware that you must get both a Complex and a High Power endorsement to act as PIC, because the engine HP exceeds 200 hp (it is 210). You probably want to do that during transition training and before you might start on your instrument rating.

20 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

Back on the subject of transition training when you get around to flying your 261. Just be aware that you must get both a Complex and a High Power endorsement to act as PIC, because the engine HP exceeds 200 hp (it is 210). You probably want to do that during transition training and before you might start on your instrument rating.

Thank you for the reminder. My insurance requires 10 hours of dual and I am hoping to get both of those during that 10 hours. I'm am also looking forward to my high altitude endorsement FL250+ after I get IFR.

You can get a high altitude, but I think you will find that the service ceiling of your 261 is 24,000, you will not need the high altitude. The high altitude is more keyed towards pressurized aircraft that fly above 25k, not so much the issues we encounter in nonpressurized turbos. But you might learn something. When I looked at it, it was all class work, there was no flight required, maybe its different now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

You can get a high altitude, but I think you will find that the service ceiling of your 261 is 24,000, you will not need the high altitude. The high altitude is more keyed towards pressurized aircraft that fly above 25k, not so much the issues we encounter in nonpressurized turbos. But you might learn something. When I looked at it, it was all class work, there was no flight required, maybe its different now.

According to the AFM ceiling for this one is 28,000.

Be VERY careful going that high, any problem with your O2 system can cause a problem in a real hurray at FL280.  The good thing about the high altitude training I took was a chamber ride where we went to FL200 and then FL250 to see how we reacted to a loss of O2.  For some in my class it was a very quick step to being incoherent.  I learned a lot about my initial signs of hypoxia and I constantly look for them even at lower altitudes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Then 252 was certified to FL280 but this article was written by the gentleman in charge of the 252 project:

24D2C798-18D9-4114-B6AC-752111799ECC.jpeg

Great article. I'd never do it without a very experienced copilot. Really first steps first and that's going to be just pattern work, lol

3 minutes ago, Gubni said:

Great article. I'd never do it without a very experienced copilot. Really first steps first and that's going to be just pattern work, lol

All pilots, experienced and otherwise, are subject to the effects of oxygen deprivation - even the experienced test pilot who wrote the article who advised against it. 

• Like 2

Great update Gub!

cams and cranks are the expensive parts…

Cylinders are just the cost of doing business sometimes…

+1 on getting to know your plane

+1 on knowing oxygen limitations…

+1 on having a back-up O2 system for flying in the FLs…

+1 for going on a chamber ride to see your signs of low O2 using your eyes and brain…

We are 1 for 2 when it comes to score keeping and running out of oxygen while flying a Mooney…

There isn’t a very good chance of landing a plane successfully while sleeping… :)

Especially while trimmed for cruise speeds.

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...

I just added up my current and expected expenses and I am looking at about $90,000 including the $10k purchase price. This is all inclusive from buying optional manuals to hangar rental while waiting. I even added the Kool Scoop which I have heard is a necessity, lol. It's still way more expensive than I thought it would be, but less than the plane is worth and I know it's all done and good to go. By assisting with a lot of the work myself I know it's done right also. I absolutely realize people are saying to themselves if he can afford an airplane he can afford to pay my stupid price. For example motor mounts where about $2000 and they are rather simple and could be made for less than 10% of that cost. I have learned to just swallow it as part of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gubni said:

I just added up my current and expected expenses and I am looking at about $90,000 including the $10k purchase price. This is all inclusive from buying optional manuals to hangar rental while waiting. I even added the Kool Scoop which I have heard is a necessity, lol. It's still way more expensive than I thought it would be, but less than the plane is worth and I know it's all done and good to go. By assisting with a lot of the work myself I know it's done right also. I absolutely realize people are saying to themselves if he can afford an airplane he can afford to pay my stupid price. For example motor mounts where about $2000 and they are rather simple and could be made for less than 10% of that cost. I have learned to just swallow it as part of the game.

For things like Kool Scoops, I'd suggest deferring the purchase until you know you really need it or want it.   I loved having one on the Arrow I used to fly and considered it kind of necessary there, but wouldn't put one on my Mooney because it'd be right in the way where I'd be wanting to look at things out the window.   So it really is a personal preference thing that you may find you don't really want yourself.