(KBLV) Scott Air Force Base/Midamerica Airport

FastTex

Hello!

Anyone recently flown to KBLV? I'm planning a flight for Sat early morning and I'm looking for PIREPs. It seems an unusual Military/Civil combined airport.

I'm trying to avoid SID/STAR, learning if they assign the same runway to GA vs. MIL, etc. Any other info/recommendation is welcome.

Scott Air Force Base/Midamerica Airport - KBLV - AOPA Airports

Thanks,

@FastTex Air traffic around St Louis is relatively light for a Class B and the approach controllers are generally happy to give you vectors rather than STARs and SIDs to and from the surrounding airports.

At Mid America the north side of the field is the civilian side. The last I knew there is no FBO or 100LL available on the field anymore, but you can try calling (618) 566-5265 as listed in Foreflight and the AOPA airport listing to find out where to park and where to exit the ramp. They used to have a very low volume of small scheduled air carrier operations out of the terminal there but I don't know if that's still true or if you can get a rental car easily. Boeing does large unmanned aerial system testing from the north ramp so that's something to be aware of and ask about as well. I would definitely call first before going in there. The plus side is the USAF controllers are really friendly and helpful.

If you aren't committed to KBLV but want to stay relatively close I recommend KALN, St Louis regional airport in Alton IL. Fuel is expensive but they have a full service FBO and there's a decent restaurant on the field. Or you could try St Louis Downtown KCPS. Its closer but fuel is a LOT more expensive and it isn't in the greatest area but it does have full services.

If you're just trying to get into the St Louis area and don't mind flying a little further, assuming you're coming from home, I highly recommend TACAir at Spirit of St Louis Airport KSUS in Chesterfield MO. Their self-serve fuel is some of the least expensive in the area and it's right off of interstate 40. Super easy in and out. That was my home field for about 8 years. But it's about 40 miles west of KBLV so may not fit your plan.

Cheers,
Rick

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Junkman said:

@FastTex Air traffic around St Louis is relatively light for a Class B and the approach controllers are generally happy to give you vectors rather than STARs and SIDs to and from the surrounding airports.

At Mid America the north side of the field is the civilian side. The last I knew there is no FBO or 100LL available on the field anymore, but you can try calling (618) 566-5265 as listed in Foreflight and the AOPA airport listing to find out where to park and where to exit the ramp. They used to have a very low volume of small scheduled air carrier operations out of the terminal there but I don't know if that's still true or if you can get a rental car easily. Boeing does large unmanned aerial system testing from the north ramp so that's something to be aware of and ask about as well. I would definitely call first before going in there. The plus side is the USAF controllers are really friendly and helpful.

If you aren't committed to KBLV but want to stay relatively close I recommend KALN, St Louis regional airport in Alton IL. Fuel is expensive but they have a full service FBO and there's a decent restaurant on the field. Or you could try St Louis Downtown KCPS. Its closer but fuel is a LOT more expensive and it isn't in the greatest area but it does have full services.

If you're just trying to get into the St Louis area and don't mind flying a little further, assuming you're coming from home, I highly recommend TACAir at Spirit of St Louis Airport KSUS in Chesterfield MO. Their self-serve fuel is some of the least expensive in the area and it's right off of interstate 40. Super easy in and out. That was my home field for about 8 years. But it's about 40 miles west of KBLV so may not fit your plan.

Cheers,
Rick

Rick, thank you so much for the info! My daughter leaves nearby and I do not want to land in an ATP with no fuel after a 3hr flight...neither I want to hop anywhere else for fuel so I will go to KCPS which is the closest to my final destination.

1 hour ago, FastTex said:

Rick, thank you so much for the info! My daughter leaves nearby and I do not want to land in an ATP with no fuel after a 3hr flight...neither I want to hop anywhere else for fuel so I will go to KCPS which is the closest to my final destination.

@FastTex You're welcome! But I would give them a call at (618) 566-5265 to see if they might be able to get you fuel, especially if KBLV is the closest airport to your daughter. Things seem to be changing daily.

Cheers,
Rick

2 minutes ago, PJClark said:

Heads up: F-15 QAs (Qatar) are doing aircrew training on the civilian side of KBLV.  I'd definitely call ahead to see if they even have ramp space available.

Thanks. I also need to be careful for pilots falling from the sky!

Minor injuries in F-15 incident at MidAmerica Airport | St. Louis News Headlines | kmov.com

Bizarre, fortunately everybody is ok!

In the event you go to the shared airport....

Be sure to have your taxi charts with the blue dot on it....

Often the military is on one side, civilian on the other...

One wrong turn on the taxiway you meet some nice guys with their machine guns....

This came from Bob’s experience...  Bob was touring the US with his grand nephew.... and made a wrong turn on a shared airport...

Definitely consider using the airport... You now are familiar with the added homework you want to cover.... 

Now... what’s with the fancy new F15?  It kinda looks gear up on or near the runway...

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-