GMA 345 vs PMA450B

The GMA 345 has a RS-232 connection to the G3X. As far as I can tell, the only function is to inform the G3X which comm is selected on the audio panel so that it can be displayed as green on the CNS data bar. The PMA450B does appear to have this from the documentation. Perhaps Mark @Mscheuer might comment on any plans to add this.

444893861_Screenshot2021-05-23at7_29_31AM.thumb.png.eaae76d9775b95c45ed95be112e7b17f.png

I have a G3X and a PMA450B. Not once have I wanted to be able to adjust the audio panel one the screen. I have the frequencies available on the top of the G3X and on the radios themselves, and I rarely ever use the screen to adjust the frequency.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PT20J said:

The GMA 345 has a RS-232 connection to the G3X. As far as I can tell, the only function is to inform the G3X which comm is selected on the audio panel so that it can be displayed as green on the CNS data bar. The PMA450B does appear to have this from the documentation. Perhaps Mark @Mscheuer might comment on any plans to add this.

FWIW, the annunciation on the 450B is very good in this area.    If it is even remotely in your sight-line a glance makes it obvious what radio(s) are selected.

24 minutes ago, EricJ said:

FWIW, the annunciation on the 450B is very good in this area.    If it is even remotely in your sight-line a glance makes it obvious what radio(s) are selected.

I agree and I don't think it's a big deal. But since the GMA 345 and PMA450B are both slide in replacements for the GMA340, it shouldn't be difficult to reverse engineer this feature and add it to the 450 which would seem to obviate the only advantage that the 345 has in a G3X installation.

Skip

• Like 1

Skip, another great feature of the 450B, particularly if your doing a new install, is flightmate.  This allows 4 customizable audible annunciations.  My last Mooney had a Bitching Betty and I found it very useful, she was quite annoying and I can't imagine forgetting to putting the gear down with it in operation.  I wanted a "Betty" in my current Mooney, now with the 450B I'll get something better.  Bitching Deanna (my wife :)).  

@Mscheuer quick question.  If I wire a remote audio playback button does it behave exactly like pressing the COM rcv?   Would I have to hold the remote audio playback button for 1 sec or would just a tap activate it?

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

Skip, another great feature of the 450B, particularly if your doing a new install, is flightmate.  This allows 4 customizable audible annunciations.  My last Mooney had a Bitching Betty and I found it very useful, she was quite annoying and I can't imagine forgetting to putting the gear down with it in operation.  I wanted a "Betty" in my current Mooney, now with the 450B I'll get something better.  Bitching Deanna (my wife :)).  

@Mscheuer quick question.  If I wire a remote audio playback button does it behave exactly like pressing the COM rcv?   Would I have to hold the remote audio playback button for 1 sec or would just a tap activate it?

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan, yes, if you install the remote Playback button, the playback will be immediate, unlike the press and hold of the C1 or C2 button.

Thanks for being our customer.

-Mark

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mscheuer said:

Hi Dan, yes, if you install the remote Playback button, the playback will be immediate, unlike the press and hold of the C1 or C2 button.

Thanks for being our customer.

-Mark

Thanks Mark! I’ll be adding a button to my  yoke then! 

cheers,

Dan 

19 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Mark @Mscheuer, curious what your sales ratio is 450B with marker beacon vs without.

Skip

While I can’t  say exactly what the current ratio is, I can say that all of our audio panels have seen an increase without the marker beacon. 

• Like 2