GMA 345 vs PMA450B

• PT20J changed the title to GMA 345 vs PMA450B

There are plenty of pireps for the PMA450B indicating it is the best audio panel possible...

It also has great support as one of the PSEngineering guys is a resident MSer....

It is the goto audio panel for the non-BigG crowd....

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

I still have a newish GMA340 that I’m happy with, but I’m planning to go the gsxr route and swap it out myself for a PMA450 one of these days. The charging ports and 3D audio seem valuable enough, and the Telligence feature on the 350 still seems too gimmicky for me. This is from someone who is otherwise an all-Garmin buyer, fwiw. 

• Like 2

Comment from Garmin regarding GMA 340 vs GMA 345

The GMA 340 and GMA 345 aren't exactly related in their base design.  The GMA 345 uses the same intellivox technology the GMA 350 uses.  This tech is a significant update from the GMA 340 with it's traditional transformer isolated Com and ICS channels.

Skip

I haven't used a 345 but I have heard good things about it.  I have lots of time with the 340, 347, and 1347 (G1000).  The 340 is a great basic audio panel.  The 347 and 1347 have terrible intercoms.  I've never been happy with them.  That fact that Garmin continued to use them in the G1000 line turned me off to Garmin audio.   Pretty much everything from PS is good, and like @carusoamstates the customer service is second to none.  I'm excited because my 450B will be showing up via UPS tomorrow, thanks to @Avionics Source

Martin Pauly and SoCal Flying Monkey have good videos on YouTube showcasing the features of the 450B.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2

I have a Garmin transponder, dual G5's, a GNC355, GFC500 currently getting installed, but I put the 450B in as my audio panel. I love it, can't say enough about it. The isolation modes, co-pilot as Pax setting so my son doesn't have to hear the radios when it's just the two of us flying and he wants to listen to music, two Bluetooth inputs plus direct audio input so everyone can listen to something different, the setting where you hear one radio on one side and the other from a virtually different location (I can't remember what it's called), making crystal clear calls on my phone through the headset, and recently found that if I'm receiving a call on my phone the phone number pops up on the 450B display like caller ID and you can answer or end the call with the soft keys on the audio panel. 

I know there are more functions, but those are just a few. 

I know Paul @gsxrpilot is a fan of the 450B as well. 

• Like 5

I have the PMA450B2, and it really is a kickass audio panel.   The second BT link is more useful than I would have thought, and the degree of configurability is very nice to customize as well as work around failures or limitations in other equipment.   I use the BT constantly as I just use my phone as a music source while travelling.   I've done phone calls over it, too, which is especially useful on the ground for wx, clearance, etc.

The display makes navigating the menus pretty easy.   I don't have to mess with it much, but when I do it's nice to be able to get to the various features easily.

My sole gripe with it is that microphone squelch is automatic, with no adjustment capability.   Maybe it's the headset that I use for passengers, but some passengers, especially quiet-spoken ones, have to speak up more than they're often comfortable with to get the mic to break squelch.   

Other than that I like it a lot, and that doesn't seem to be that big of a deal and passengers usually adapt quickly.

I have no experience with the GMA 345.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

... and recently found that if I'm receiving a call on my phone the phone number pops up on the 450B display like caller ID and you can answer or end the call with the soft keys on the audio panel. 

Another nice feature on the display is that it shows the BT connected phone's battery status, which is more useful than I'd have thought.  ;) 

• Like 2

Just now, EricJ said:

Another nice feature on the display is that it shows the BT connected phone's battery status, which is more useful than I'd have thought.  ;) 

I use my phone to listen to music or books, glancing over at that has reminded me on long flights that I need to plug my phone in and charge it for a bit. 

• Like 1

I have the 450B with dual Bluetooth. I use the second BT source way more than I would've expected to. I also love the IntelliAudio. It really makes a massive difference. Garmin has there stuff down, but the real king of the audio panels is PS. There customer service is also amazing. @Mscheuer will probably be around soon.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

My sole gripe with it is that microphone squelch is automatic, with no adjustment capability. 

I had the same problem and spoke with @Mscheuer at an AOPA flyin. He provided a setup manual that explains how to adjust the limits on the PMA450B. It involves removing the unit, changing a jumper and reinstalling the unit. You then get a set of menus that let you adjust several settings including the automatic squelch. I lowered mine slightly and it works perfectly for us now. I am sure if you contact Mark he will explain or provide you the documentation on how to change it. I still have the document but since it isn't mine I'm not comfortable sharing it without permission from PS.

Jim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not much to add beyond what's already been said. I never thought an audio panel would make much difference in the cockpit. After all, the audio quality is a function of headsets, or so I thought. Then on a whim and a Black Friday sale at @Avionics Source, I bought a PMA450a and later traded it for a PMA450b. It is the single biggest improvement in my cockpit. 

Not only is it a top quality unit, but it's nice to know I can ask for service and get it, if needed. Garmin makes good stuff, but they won't give you same level of support at @jcovington describes above. They'll tell you to take it back to your installer. For those of us who are pretty good with our hands and somewhat technically savvy, being able to talk with the guys who build the kit, is a game changer. I had a GMA340 prior and did the swap myself. It took longer to open the box than it did to switch out the units.

Just some of the things I like:

• Noise suppression is amazing. In my all electric airplane and two alternators, the PMA450 just took all the electronic noise away.
  • Music distribution and selective muting makes it my wife's favorite cockpit tech. Easier to get funding that way as well.
  • Bluetooth works and works perfectly. I took a call on my phone once while on the take off roll, full power. The guy I was talking to thought I was sitting in my office at home.
  • IntelliAudio - I'm always either on flight following or IFR. There's no need to ask to step away to get weather, or flight service. Its easy to listen to two channels at the same time.

@Avionics Source just made it too easy to buy, and @Mscheuer made it too easy to install and use. What's not to like?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks for everyone’s comments. In my world, I’m flying solo 60% of the time and with my wife 40%. Occasionally someone’s in the back seats, but not often. 

It seems that the GMA 345 is an improvement over the 340 and closer in feature set to the PMA450B. Both probably have more features than I need. 

I think that the distinguishing feature for me is the capability to maintain intercom communication with the copilot without the copilot having to hear ATC. Like Paul, I’m always using ATC and my wife hates listening to all the jabber. It doesn’t appear that there is any way to get the GMA 345 to do that.

Skip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Pirep on the Dynon please! 

I too love my 450

I Really like it.   I think it is the way to go for older planes as things fail you just buy a solid state box.   Solid state is better than spinning gyros.  Safety wise I think there is a great increase in safety. Right now I have 3 separate sets of Flight instruments.  Plus a phone and Plus a Tablet.  When I get the GPS in I will have 4 sets of flight instruments.  I am doing a bit at a time.   A base system with Engine monitoring is 13 AMU.   Then when you want to say add ADSB just a quick box and cable.   The last two pieces I have to do is 10" Pilot Screen for 5AMU  and then Auto Pilot Servers for 4 AMU.    The Radio integration is very cool.   Dial in the airport and all the freqs are there to switch between.  Excited to see the IFR integration with the GPS

Edited by Yetti

On 5/19/2021 at 12:04 AM, PT20J said:

Comment from Garmin regarding GMA 340 vs GMA 345

The GMA 340 and GMA 345 aren't exactly related in their base design.  The GMA 345 uses the same intellivox technology the GMA 350 uses.  This tech is a significant update from the GMA 340 with it's traditional transformer isolated Com and ICS channels.

Skip

First, thank you everyone for the very kind words for the PMA450B. It is the culmination of designing audio panels since 1995.

One IMPORTANT point regarding the above post, "IntelliVox(R)" is our registered trademark and is licensed PATENTED technology from the USAF. It is NOT the same that is used in any GARMIN audio panels.

Additionally, one of the short comings of the GMA345 (in my opinion) is it does not provide music distribution. (NOTE: there is a switch on the rear right side on the chassis that if you flip it, then passengers will always hear Music #2). The only selection of sources is the one that everyone hears (Music 1, Music 2, BT). 

ALL of our audio panels provide various music distributions. The PMA450B with dual Bluetooth(R) that takes the distribution to the next level. The pilot can select to hear both a hardwired XM (GDL69 maybe) music while also listening to BT2 that might be connected to an iPad providing audio alerts from Foreflight. The copilot might want to hook up their phone to BT1 and listen to Music 2,  while the PAX can select to listened to any one of the four entertainment inputs. Music 1, Music 2, BT1, BT2

This might sound extreme but in actuality, it is not. How often have you wanted to hear audio alerts from your iPad AND listen the XM music at the same time? Each station (pilot, copilot, and all the passengers are treated as individual stations) can select their own volume level and muting settings as well.

The most important point in this post is to alert everyone that IntelliAudio(R) is nothing like GARMIN's 3D audio, completely different implementations. For example, we do NOT make the passengers intercom audio "appear" to becoming from the back of your head. We figured you already know and recognize the voices of the folks in the back. We kept the intercom MONO. Additionally, it is my understanding the the copilot's intercom audio goes to the pilot's right ear. That might be a problem when COM 2 comes from the 2 O'clock position while the copilot intercom comes form the 3 O'clock position. IntelliAudio(R) places all intercom audio at he 12 O'clock position, much easier to ignore when trying to listen to COM 1 or COM 2. The PMA450B allows the pilot to place COM 1 and COM 2 in the 9 O'clock near, 9 O'clock, 10 O'clock, 11 O'clock, 12 O'clock, 1 O'clock, 2 O'clock, 3 O'clock, and 3 O'clock near.

Thank you all for allowing me the opportunity to clear up some unintentional misinformation. For years, people thought we made GARMIN audio panels. We never did except after GARMIN purchased UPS-AT, they continued to purchase the UPS-AT SL-15 but that ended after a year. However, we are very appreciative that other avionics manufacturers purchase our audio panels either under the brand name or ours.

- Mark

Mark

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

When I did the major work on my center stack a couple of years ago, it was just after Sun-n-Fun where the 450B was introduced. I came home and had my avionics shop order one. They were still in the process of manufacturing the first batch, so I think I may have one of the earliest ones produced. It has never given any problem, and it has been the one the more rock solid piece of avionics gear I have purchased. Given the opportunity to do it again, I would do so in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

Skip....

I just  put in the gma345 am couldn’t be happier.

that being said ...I respect the alternative PMA unit.

my conclusion is that you need to make a change,  and you will really appreciate how quiet and crisp the headphones are.  Both audio panels are an upgrade

larry

4 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

Skip....

I just  put in the gma345 am couldn’t be happier.

that being said ...I respect the alternative PMA unit.

my conclusion is that you need to make a change,  and you will really appreciate how quiet and crisp the headphones are.  Both audio panels are an upgrade

larry

Question for the GMA 345 owners:

If you connect Foreflight to the GMA 345 Bluetooth input to get Foreflight annunciations, how does it interact with the music?

Can you connect Foreflight to a GTX 345 Bluetooth to get ADS-B In and simultaneously connect it a GMA 345 Bluetooth to get annunciations? 

Skip

5 hours ago, PT20J said:

If you connect Foreflight to the GMA 345 Bluetooth input to get Foreflight annunciations, how does it interact with the music?

Can you connect Foreflight to a GTX 345 Bluetooth to get ADS-B In and simultaneously connect it a GMA 345 Bluetooth to get annunciations? 

Skip

I can answer the first question Skip, you can pair the GMA345 to your iPad and while running Foreflight you play music on your iPad. You will hear the both the alerts and music from your iPad.

What I can't answer is can you hookup the iPad to both the GTX345 and the GMA345? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PT20J said:

Skip

8 hours ago, Mscheuer said:

I can answer the first question Skip, you can pair the GMA345 to your iPad and while running Foreflight you play music on your iPad. You will hear the both the alerts and music from your iPad.

What I can't answer is can you hookup the iPad to both the GTX345 and the GMA345? 

You can hook up an iPad to both the GTX345 and GMA345 to get ADS-B in via the transponder and annunciations out through the audio panel.

• Like 1