Northern US route from Columbus OH to Seattle

Greetings!

I’m wondering if anyone has flown a normally aspirated Mooney along the northern US from Ohio to Washington state?  I’ve been able to figure out a southern route but thought if it were possible y’all would be the group to ask.  I’d prefer IFR but if VFR is the only option I’m open to suggestions.  

Thanks in advance!

Yes, in an M20C. 

Actually we flew from Seattle to the East. Or at least over the parts you care about. We did this in July several years ago. I thought it was easy in our M20C loaded pretty full. It was a mix of VFR and IFR flights.

KBFI  KCOE  KGPI  KWYS  KANW  KOMA  

91122693_ScreenShot2021-05-17at4_49_42PM.thumb.png.4d80b3dd9217c2ef81687a7fd5cbfa8d.png

I am flying M20F and summertime could be difficult to climb in teen altitudes due to DA.

It seems you can follow V120 almost all the way with MEA at 10k’ or lower and west of MLS (Miles City) you’d’ fly same route I would follow to do OSH.

Distance between GTF to MLP would put MEA to 13k’ but you can do VFR somewhat lower and scenery is spectacular. Good places to stop by and visit are Coeur-d’Alene and Sandpoint in ID, (perhaps camping at Cavanaugh Bay by your plane), Spokane, Walla Walla (further south), and Lake Chelan in WA east of Cascades and San Juan islands 40’ north of Seattle.

When and where do you plane to go?

• Like 1

Depending if you're trying to get there quickly or you've got some time.  Maybe pick some places along the way that maybe you would go to otherwise. 

We stopped in KRAP and went to Mt Rushmore on a flight to Spokane one year.  Worth seeing at least once and there's some good hiking around there. 

Also maybe Flathead Lake, MT or Coeur d'Alene, ID.  This also gives you the "IFR" (I follow roads) option and you can follow I-90 through the mountains if you're going VFR.

• Like 1

Thanks!  y’all are quick!  Great insights.   And I really appreciate the routes.  I like the “IFR” approach.  B)

Probably going to be an early fall trip to avoid some of the warmer summer temperatures.  

I announced my retirement and will be calling it quits in March. A trans-con trip in the J is the first bucket list item and my wife and I plan to take three to four weeks, making many stops along the way. My plan calls for a southern route to California, then up the coast to Seattle and eastbound through the Rockies on the way to Maine.

Given this itinerary, what is the ideal time of year to go?

• Like 1

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

I announced my retirement and will be calling it quits in March. A trans-con trip in the J is the first bucket list item and my wife and I plan to take three to four weeks, making many stops along the way. My plan calls for a southern route to California, then up the coast to Seattle and eastbound through the Rockies on the way to Maine.

Given this itinerary, what is the ideal time of year to go?

Different parts of the trip are better at different times of year. But coming through the Rockies, summer would be better. But if doing the section from San Antonio to LA in the summer, go early in the mornings. You don't want to be anywhere over West Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona after about noon in the summer. 

I know Denver isn't on the route of a circumnavigation of the lower 48, but if you do come through the central Rockies, maybe to land in Leadville... the beer's on me.

SC,

When you get a chance...

List the airports you intend to use...

Put them in a Flight Plan and post it like Paul did above...

You can get some awesome ideas from people that have been through that way before...

The picture helps with the memory... :)

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Different parts of the trip are better at different times of year. But coming through the Rockies, summer would be better. But if doing the section from San Antonio to LA in the summer, go early in the mornings. You don't want to be anywhere over West Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona after about noon in the summer. 

I know Denver isn't on the route of a circumnavigation of the lower 48, but if you do come through the central Rockies, maybe to land in Leadville... the beer's on me.

We have family in Parker, so Denver is going to be a scheduled stop. However, I'm a bit skittish about going into Leadville with a normally aspirated engine. All of my flying over the past 40 years has been at sea level and 10,000 feet feels kind of risky.

We will avoid the dead of summer and most probably do it late spring or mid-fall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

SC,

When you get a chance...

List the airports you intend to use...

Put them in a Flight Plan and post it like Paul did above...

You can get some awesome ideas from people that have been through that way before...

The picture helps with the memory... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Haven’t finalized this just yet.  I was asked by my brother if it was possible and I wasn’t sure.   I knew this group would have the answers.  Do you have any recommendations?  

• Like 1

The narrowest part of the Rockies is further north. But regardless, it' pretty easy to follow the roads through the mountains. 

If you're sight seeing along the route, KRAP is good for Mount Rushmore, then fly by Devils Tower in Wyoming. Going from there to KWYS is a good way to see Yellowstone from the air. The Grand Prismatic never disappoints. WYS is 6650 MSL but with plenty of room. I took off out of there at max gross in July. Just plan to take off in the morning when it's cool, and there is plenty of room to circle over the field until you're at a comfortable altitude. It's a short flight from there to KGPI. And you can stay over wide valleys the whole way.

With just a little bit of route planning and good weather, your Mooney is just fine for flying through the mountains to the west. And nice days are the norm in the summertime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

We have family in Parker, so Denver is going to be a scheduled stop. However, I'm a bit skittish about going into Leadville with a normally aspirated engine. All of my flying over the past 40 years has been at sea level and 10,000 feet feels kind of risky.

We will avoid the dead of summer and most probably do it late spring or mid-fall.

There is really not that much to Leadville.  It's cool and all, but entirely untechnical.  You fly up a giant valley from Salida and the airport is in a huge clearing.  You do get to fly by Independence Pass which is cool but I wouldn't consider it mountain flying - if you come in from the south.  I've had my E in there plenty and it's fine.  My biggest concern is always getting the plane started after shutdown at that altitude!  Obviously, go early in the AM and don't do dumb stuff.

I used to be based out of BFI with an M20F and have crossed the mountains a lot in different directions including trips to and from Oshkosh and Calgary during late July and August.  I have never had a problem getting into the teens for cruse flight.  I like to go non-stop over both the Cascades and Rocky Mountains in one stop to avoid landing and having to re-climb.  My go to stop is usually BIL after Seattle.  For IFR just follow T268 which is a pretty easy route to follow and can be flown at 12k heading west.  This route also follows a lot of roads and can also be used if you do want to make stops at GEG/COE/HLN/MSO.

Beware of icing into and out of Seattle even during July, I picked up icing over the cascades on the way to Oshkosh in 2019.  If you do go VFR in an attempt to stay lower expect to be out of ATC radio and radar range for a lot of the crossings.  Also summer and fall have been very bad for forest fires so often climbing into the teens is the only way to get out of the smoke.  Be prepared for that and monitor the TFRs. 

• Like 5

Actually, crossing the mountains does bring up a good point. 

You might consider buying or finding a friend that has a Garmin inReach to borrow.  https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/c16841-p1.html

The Mini is fine, but I happen to have the Explorer+  I also only have the basic SOS plan, though I know people that have the plans for full tracking, unlimited texts, etc.  Originally bought it for hiking way out in the boonies.  But immediately started turning it on before every flight.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The narrowest part of the Rockies is further north. But regardless, it' pretty easy to follow the roads through the mountains. 

If you're sight seeing along the route, KRAP is good for Mount Rushmore, then fly by Devils Tower in Wyoming. Going from there to KWYS is a good way to see Yellowstone from the air. The Grand Prismatic never disappoints. WYS is 6650 MSL but with plenty of room. I took off out of there at max gross in July. Just plan to take off in the morning when it's cool, and there is plenty of room to circle over the field until you're at a comfortable altitude. It's a short flight from there to KGPI. And you can stay over wide valleys the whole way.

With just a little bit of route planning and good weather, your Mooney is just fine for flying through the mountains to the west. And nice days are the norm in the summertime.

Thanks for the additional details. Looks like I’ll be going mid-august so we’ll definitely be getting up early.  

15 hours ago, FlyinAggie14 said:

I used to be based out of BFI with an M20F and have crossed the mountains a lot in different directions including trips to and from Oshkosh and Calgary during late July and August.  I have never had a problem getting into the teens for cruse flight.  I like to go non-stop over both the Cascades and Rocky Mountains in one stop to avoid landing and having to re-climb.  My go to stop is usually BIL after Seattle.  For IFR just follow T268 which is a pretty easy route to follow and can be flown at 12k heading west.  This route also follows a lot of roads and can also be used if you do want to make stops at GEG/COE/HLN/MSO.

Beware of icing into and out of Seattle even during July, I picked up icing over the cascades on the way to Oshkosh in 2019.  If you do go VFR in an attempt to stay lower expect to be out of ATC radio and radar range for a lot of the crossings.  Also summer and fall have been very bad for forest fires so often climbing into the teens is the only way to get out of the smoke.  Be prepared for that and monitor the TFRs. 

Good advice, thanks. I’m adding GEG/COE/HLN/MSO to the list.  

4 hours ago, S.C. said:

Good advice, thanks. I’m adding GEG/COE/HLN/MSO to the list.  

Instead of GEG, use SFF in Spokane.  It’s cheaper, closer to town and historic.  It has a restaurant and GA services.  I’m based there.  GEG is just airliners and an expensive Signature.  If you want to do approaches there it’s fine but I wouldn’t stop at signature.

From SFF, ground can give you a squawk code and freq for flight following with Spokane approach (SFF is under the GEG/Fairchild AFB class C).  I usually go ~SFF-EAT-BFI if I’m vfr.  Easily done at 11,500’ in my F.  Fully loaded isn’t a problem.  Spectacular views of Mt Rainer.  If you want to go with lower rocks, follow V2 from ELN.  If you’re landing at BFI, it’s spitting distance to KRNT and KSEA. It’s real busy.  Vfr is a bit confusing into BFI but can be done.  I highly recommend asking to enter the class B instead of going below which is where they will try to push you.  IFR into BFI is much easier.  AWO is a nice GA field to the north with a restaurant.

Dropping a few things into WingX....

It kind of looks like this...

but I was guessing about first and last airports, and didn’t take into account the advice Rags gave...

-a-

It only took a minute or two...

Looks like crummy weather if you leave tonight!

:)

C4880DD8-D6EA-4850-A2FB-742177A6ABFC.png