Tire replacement w/pic

I fly with my shoes off - just socks.  In part because it’s comfortable - In part because I’m tall and it lets me relax my feet between the rudder peddles in cruise - but in large part I feel I fly the plane better with more direct tactile feel without big fat shoes.

sounds strange but give it a try.  I bet you fly a bit better.

in the winter I have wool lined leather moccasins with no rubber soal.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 1:09 PM, Jhj123 said:

Noob here. The search reveled varying opinions so I thought it maybe beneficial to post pics of my particular situation.  I noticed this spot and am wondering if I need to get the port main replaced ASAP? Also, do I need to replace starboard at the same time (even if it doesn’t have the same wear)? 

Thanks. 

4FA4276A-8639-482F-A656-7E12A3BF1B69.jpeg

9D79B514-E657-4E54-AE37-0AEB34F3EA1E.jpeg

8A5F26A9-680D-4F71-9189-CA941A674040.jpeg

Change them both.

Unless you believe it’s ok to protect a $150 tire with a $200k + aircraft.

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 2:09 PM, Jhj123 said:

Noob here. The search reveled varying opinions so I thought it maybe beneficial to post pics of my particular situation.  I noticed this spot and am wondering if I need to get the port main replaced ASAP? Also, do I need to replace starboard at the same time (even if it doesn’t have the same wear)? 

Thanks. 

4FA4276A-8639-482F-A656-7E12A3BF1B69.jpeg

9D79B514-E657-4E54-AE37-0AEB34F3EA1E.jpeg

8A5F26A9-680D-4F71-9189-CA941A674040.jpeg

It may not be entirely your fault.  Many Mooney’s have the brake pedals adjusted so they lean aft at the top, making it easier to  have a small amount of brake pressure applied on landing.

Clarence

In line with what Clarence is saying...

Some rudder pedal extensions have also been added with really quirky, odd, pedal angles....

That make it extra easy to squash the brakes....

Get a good look at the pedals when able...

Send a camera down there to get a pic...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

23 hours ago, M20Doc said:

It may not be entirely your fault.  Many Mooney’s have the brake pedals adjusted so they lean aft at the top, making it easier to  have a small amount of brake pressure applied on landing.

Clarence

It's especially bad with 3" extensions. There is an undocumented adjustment at the brake cylinders under the left exhaust cavity to change the angle. There's a thread around here somewhere

What I've found is that the brakes on my M20J take quite a bit of pedal pressure compared to a lot of other airplanes and the pedal force gradient doesn't increase all than much as you get near lock up and it's hard to feel when you are about to lock them up. My flat spot came from trying to help out the tower by making a turn off and I accidentally locked one up. Now I just avoid anything near maximum brake effort. 

Skip

On 5/20/2021 at 8:36 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

The best shoes for feeling the peddles are no shoes. just wrap your toes around the top of those peddles, your breaking and steering will be so precise.

In the summer, if I'm out working on the plane, I usually ware flip flops. They suck for flying, so If I go fly, I just throw them behind the seat and fly barefoot.

Don't laugh, these are my flying shoes. Like flying barefoot with some support (Vibrams Five Finger shoes - I know toes but...)

-Don

3F31F07E-C1BA-40EA-9E33-88B573D250FD.jpeg

• Haha 2

For the most part I'm off the brakes landing until the very end - yoke full back in my chest, unless you're looking at a very short field or a short turnout, use the full runway, let the plane slow itself down - save your brakes and your tires.  The first rule is landing with the stall horn - less speed to kill after landing.

5 hours ago, MARZ said:

For the most part I'm off the brakes landing until the very end - yoke full back in my chest, unless you're looking at a very short field or a short turnout, use the full runway, let the plane slow itself down - save your brakes and your tires.  The first rule is landing with the stall horn - less speed to kill after landing.

Land with stall horn sounding. Feet off brakes until IAS < 50 mph. Took 800 hours to replace whatever pads the previous owner left me when I bought her. That included transition training for a 52-hour pilot and an instrument rating, and I flew 2 or 3 times on Plane Ride Day at the airport. My first 7 years were at an obstructed 3000' field with no taxiway, just a single entry 1000' from the preferred end.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As an A&P at a major airline, I will say this. On the line, or at the gate, we never change a tire un-necessarily. Meaning change all the tires or the adjacent tire on the main gear because it simply looks better or felt it was safer......We would do it if the pressure of the adjacent tire was too low and compromised the adjacent tire's safety. We commonly let a worn tire go to the first layer cord. Which, by the way, is an indicator the tire should be changed at the next "overnight " opportunity. In fact, we routinely defer the above tire photo shot for an additional "10" landings.

The cord level (worn to or just past) does not compromise safety....On Mooney tires, we have three more of those layers to go at a minimum folks! I would bet that most here buy the 6 ply. So that is 5 more plies......and I'll bet the next layer is steel belted as are the tires in the airlines.

The only time I have seen the adjacent tire changed for the hell of it when it is close to service life is on the nose. Some Technicians will change the adjacent nose tire probably knowing that the plane is coming back tomorrow night and they will be working! 

Nitrogen is used in tires to prevent fires in wheel wells. Wheel wells on jets contain lots of greasy and hydraulic components. Ours, ok-you get the point! I would have no problem using regular air......

Now all this logic goes right out the door if the Captain say change it! (he probably own's a Mooney (hehe)

Just my thoughts.......

MK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mkruger2021 said:

As an A&P at a major airline, I will say this. On the line, or at the gate, we never change a tire un-necessarily. Meaning change all the tires or the adjacent tire on the main gear because it simply looks better or felt it was safer......We would do it if the pressure of the adjacent tire was too low and compromised the adjacent tire's safety. We commonly let a worn tire go to the first layer cord. Which, by the way, is an indicator the tire should be changed at the next "overnight " opportunity. In fact, we routinely defer the above tire photo shot for an additional "10" landings.

The cord level (worn to or just past) does not compromise safety....On Mooney tires, we have three more of those layers to go at a minimum folks! I would bet that most here buy the 6 ply. So that is 5 more plies......and I'll bet the next layer is steel belted as are the tires in the airlines.

The only time I have seen the adjacent tire changed for the hell of it when it is close to service life is on the nose. Some Technicians will change the adjacent nose tire probably knowing that the plane is coming back tomorrow night and they will be working! 

Nitrogen is used in tires to prevent fires in wheel wells. Wheel wells on jets contain lots of greasy and hydraulic components. Ours, ok-you get the point! I would have no problem using regular air......

Now all this logic goes right out the door if the Captain say change it! (he probably own's a Mooney (hehe)

Just my thoughts.......

MK

The above is solid advice in my opinion. I’ve never understood why some feel that disturbing a functioning system of known quantities in order to replace the known with an unknown somehow enhances safety.

• Like 1

Your supposed to change the tube with the tire.

‘The theory is that the tube stretched to fit the tire and if put into another tire, it won’t fit and that could cause it to fail.

‘I’ve not seen all that many tubes fail, and the ones I’ve seen usually the valve stem was pulled out from the tube, and with what tubes cost, I’m sure many are re-used.

17 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Do y’all change the tube as well or just the tire?

The tire comes pre-assembled with the bearing greased....We slide off and slide on.....We check the pressure....And she is good to go!

Actually, I am not sure they have tubes......I'll have to ask the tire shop.....

5 minutes ago, Mkruger2021 said:

The tire comes pre-assembled with the bearing greased....We slide off and slide on.....We check the pressure....And she is good to go!

Actually, I am not sure they have tubes......I'll have to ask the tire shop.....

There is a business next to where I work that rebuilds airline tires/wheels. They have pallets of old nasty ones coming in and pallets of beautiful shrink wrapped assemblies going out.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

There is a business next to where I work that rebuilds airline tires/wheels. They have pallets of old nasty ones coming in and pallets of beautiful shrink wrapped assemblies going out.

You and Kruger must be talking of airlines. My tires come empty and unmounted, with the [separately ordered and paid] tubes folded up in a bag. I supply the baby powder to make them go together nicely, AFTER removing the wheel from the plane, taking out the valve stem to deflate the tire, separating the wheel halves and removing the old stuff . . . . .

Just a note I didn't see expressed, in  the above.  When landing with flaps, lift remains a factor until the flaps are raised.  Without the weight on the tires, they are just more likely to lock up.  So hitting the brakes with flaps down is more likely to cause a flat spot.   Once on the ground, if you have the time/runway, raise flaps ASAP, then brake.   You need as much weight on the tire as possible to keep them on the ground and rolling, not sliding.  Saw it all the time when I was instructing.  (in the old days).

Edited by GMBrown
grammar