Tire replacement w/pic

Noob here. The search reveled varying opinions so I thought it maybe beneficial to post pics of my particular situation.  I noticed this spot and am wondering if I need to get the port main replaced ASAP? Also, do I need to replace starboard at the same time (even if it doesn’t have the same wear)? 

Thanks. 

4FA4276A-8639-482F-A656-7E12A3BF1B69.jpeg

9D79B514-E657-4E54-AE37-0AEB34F3EA1E.jpeg

8A5F26A9-680D-4F71-9189-CA941A674040.jpeg

Noob challenge...

There is A time to hit the brakes, and a speed to not hit the brakes...

It is quite possible you need to change out your flying shoes.... :)

Above 50kias... it is really easy to generate one of these spots...

With heavy work boots... it is really easy to generate one of these spots...

If you didn’t scrub both tires the same way...  hold off on changing the semi-good one until you get a better feel for the braking system, speed, weight relationships... :)

If you have a transition trainer consult him for the details for max braking... and speed control prior to landing...

It is probably in the POH... I’ll have to review that as well...

Proof of being human...  fun isn’t it? :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Jhj’s tires as mounted...

Once showing cords... their strength has been diminished, or can get diminished easily without telling you...

Broken cords are a toss now, don’t wait....

Missing layers of cords... they gave a good smoke show for a micro-second if anyone was looking...

This is a very easy thing to have happen. And repeat, if unaware... :)

E29D1A1C-307A-433C-9DFB-F5EFD80BC322.jpeg

71101040-5255-4669-B820-B2D412654566.jpeg

D0810E9A-6990-4B32-81EA-46AA0EE6D0BE.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Sure, I get it if the other side is 10 years old and damn near worn out, but what if the other side is only 1 year old and has fewer than 25 landings on it?  What about something in between?

It’s a judgment call, personally I’d still do both and keep the best for a spare. Keeping used tires/tubes will deteriorate fairly quick in a hot hangar, I keep the tube in the tire with enough pressure to keep the tire spread 5” or so and keep it at the house, not readily available but easy enough to get should someone needs it

Do change that tire right away.

Do consider Desser Monster retreads on Goodyear Flight Custom cores for the mains- the best tread life, much lower cost without sacrificing anything. (Desser regular tread for the nose - otherwise creates an issue clearing wheel well).

Don't change the other tire. Zero benefit. Pointless expense if it still has decent tread on it.

Don't use nitrogen.  Trivial benefit for small plane tires. https://www.aviationconsumer.com/maintenance/nitrogen-tires-unnecessary-for-small-aircraft/

Do change the tube at the same time. Consider Michelin airstop tubes - way more benefit in terms of holding pressure than using nitrogen.

Do add "heels on the floor!" to your prelanding checklist on final and this will never happen again (I learned the hard way as a noob just like you)

Edited by DXB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are things done to prevent a flat or a blow out... like replacing when the tire is as pictured

There are things done to make people feel good, such as replacing in pairs if the other is still good (assuming good tread depth, no flat spots, not old enough where the rubber is cracking on the sidewalls).

When I see a tire like the above pic on an airliner, it gets changed right away. Does the one next to it get changed? Do the other 5 tires get changed? Nope!

Do what you like, but there is absolutely no need to replace in pairs. We're not le mans racecars here needing equal tires for maximum cornering.

And I have to echo  what carusoam says about technique. If that happens, a mistake was made. Its ok we all do it. I tried a short field the other day, applied very light brakes going too fast, sqeee.... I caught it before any damage was done, but it was a reminder, no need to do that. Absolutely no need. And also a reminder to use proper foot positioning when landing. That is, the toes should be at the bottoms of the pedals, heels on the floor. The feet need to move up to brake.

Reminds me of showing my mooney to a pilot friend, a big guy. I had him fly left seat. Hard to see where his feet were positioned during taxi. "Why do you need so much power to taxi this thing?" he asks. "Are your toes on the brakes?" I say. "No, I'm sure they aren't". Lightbulb moment right there... his toes were in fact on the brakes. I'm so glad we got that sorted out on the taxi out vs landing.

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, DXB said:

Do change that tire right away.

Do consider Desser Monster retreads on Goodyear Flight Custom cores for the mains- the best tread life, much lower cost without sacrificing anything. (Desser regular tread for the nose - otherwise creates an issue clearing wheel well).

Don't change the other tire. Zero benefit. Pointless expense if it still has decent tread on it.

Don't use nitrogen.  Trivial benefit for small plane tires. https://www.aviationconsumer.com/maintenance/nitrogen-tires-unnecessary-for-small-aircraft/

Do change the tube at the same time. Consider Michelin airstop tubes - way more benefit in terms of holding pressure than using nitrogen.

Do add "heels on the floor!" to your prelanding checklist on final and this will never happen again (I learned the hard way as a noob just like you)

Do not use Dresser Monster retreads!

I put a set of those on my mains and they are bigger in diameter than the stock tires. They would hit the zerk fitting. it ruined the fittings and the fittings made a groove in the tire. I had to get a tire grinder from JEGS and grind about 1/4 of tread off the tires. That makes a giant mess in your hangar BTW. They have been great since I did that.

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

Do not use Dresser Monster retreads!

I put a set of those on my mains and they are bigger in diameter than the stock tires. They would hit the zerk fitting. it ruined the fittings and the fittings made a groove in the tire. I had to get a tire grinder from JEGS and grind about 1/4 of tread off the tires. That makes a giant mess in your hangar BTW. They have been great since I did that.

Huh interesting - first problem I've heard with them on Mooneys, for the mains at least.  Mine have been great.  Regular retreads may be the way to go then.

You're also going to feel the tire taxing in the out of round conditon - like its a square wheel - because it is right now. Sometime even when the cord isn't yet showing, you could have a flat spot making the tire out of round which you'll feel very annoingly as a constant reminder. Although still airworthy, in that condition you may want to replace it as well to get back to a smooth taxing aircraft - if that applies.

If you read the Service and Maintenance Manual, you are supposed to do a retract test after replacing the tires. I've never had a problem with standard tires, but I would check if using a retread.

I usually replace my tires in pairs because they are generally worn about the same and I schedule maintenance around trips and would prefer fewer down days. But that's just me.

Skip

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PT20J said:

If you read the Service and Maintenance Manual, you are supposed to do a retract test after replacing the tires. I've never had a problem with standard tires, but I would check if using a retread.

I usually replace my tires in pairs because they are generally worn about the same and I schedule maintenance around trips and would prefer fewer down days. But that's just me.

Skip

Me, too. But the OP flat-spotted a tire, which by definition is not "generally worn about the same." Still, I'd only replace the one. Always tire and tube replaced together, with Michelin air stop tubes. 

1 minute ago, Hank said:

Me, too. But the OP flat-spotted a tire, which by definition is not "generally worn about the same." Still, I'd only replace the one. Always tire and tube replaced together, with Michelin air stop tubes. 

Agree :)

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 8:34 PM, GEE-BEE said:

Change in pairs

use nitrogen 

try the Michelin Air Radial

If you can’t afford tires then why own a aircraft?

Safety is cheap

And change all 3 at each annual. Its slightly safer and if you can't afford it take up boating.

-Robert

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Find the thread for favorite flying shoes...

Some like deck shoes...

Others went driving shoes...

Somebdy recently... (last KOSH)... reported actually getting flying shoes...

They help you know when your feet are on the brakes...

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Find the thread for favorite flying shoes...

Some like deck shoes...

Others went driving shoes...

Somebdy recently... (last KOSH)... reported actually getting flying shoes...

They help you know when your feet are on the brakes...

Best regards,

-a-

The best shoes for feeling the peddles are no shoes. just wrap your toes around the top of those peddles, your breaking and steering will be so precise.

In the summer, if I'm out working on the plane, I usually ware flip flops. They suck for flying, so If I go fly, I just throw them behind the seat and fly barefoot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When I sold the Rocket I flew with the buyer from Stockton to Las Vegas to deliver it. He insisted on flying left seat. The landing in Vegas had a pretty strong cross wind component. He was doing a pretty good job landing but panicked about 200’ up and said “your plane”

I got it and landed safely but was not quite straight on touchdown. He had owned a Grumman American with a castering nose wheel and was used to steering with brakes. 
 He totally smoked the right main. Thump thump thump as we taxied.  He was unaware he had done anything. When I pointed it out as we walked away he accused me of doing it. I was quite thankful Mooney had chosen to not install co pilot brakes. 
Brand new to junk in one landing.

Lots of good advice above about foot placement and shoes.

If a landing “needs” that heavy of braking you already made multiple mistakes. 

• Like 1