Control cables

1 hour ago, Newowner said:

I found new mixture cable part 660154-003. Can anyone tell me if it’ll replace my cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find the Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC) for your airplane.   They are usually available for download for free if you search around.   It has drawings showing the locations and part numbers for all parts, including the control cables.

The correct part number may depend on the specific model and serial number of your airplane, so it's hard to say whether it is correct without that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Junkman said:

You can try McFarlaneaviation.com, they can custom build anything they don't normally stock.

McFarlane is also a new Mooney Summit sponsor this year!

Cheers,
Rick

Definitely contact them. They are awesome and served me well for the old Mooney. 

• Like 1

Their mixture cable is a generic cable that can be fitted to many aircraft- you trim it to length. The original mixture Mooney cable had the firewall fitting swaged to it. The MacFarland cable had no fitting included, FYI.... so you need to source a firewall fitting for the mixture cable. Or did they forget to include one with mine?

Great thread...

We discussed The Who and the how.... and the why was already covered....

Now about that ram air...

Many get changed for updated intake plumbing....  which is a fancy way to eliminate the control... seal problems and other intake challenges...

Something to consider before getting a new cable...

MS spending OPM!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

I removed the ram air last year and many other J owners have done the same. The F reportedly benefits more from the Ram Air than the J and many swear by it.  However, that is just another system to maintain and honestly the cost of the seal is more than enough to either discourage me from using it, or more likely to eliminate it altogether. 

Thank you for all your replies. I talked to my A/P and he’s kinda uneasy to install those cables coz of legality. When you order them do they provide any papers making them legal to use? I know that they make them for Mooney but Mooney certifies them and charges double.

7 hours ago, Newowner said:

Thank you for all your replies. I talked to my A/P and he’s kinda uneasy to install those cables coz of legality. When you order them do they provide any papers making them legal to use? I know that they make them for Mooney but Mooney certifies them and charges double.

When you send yours to McFarlane and ask them to duplicate it, it can fall under one of the processes that are accepted for Owner Produced Parts.   You can make a log entry yourself regarding the OPP process (be sure to read, understand, and follow the regs/ACs on OPP), and then your A&P/IA can install it under a separate log entry.

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I assume they also have a PMA stamp on them. 

Nope, not FAA approved.   See the disclaimer in the signature block of the drawing that 1964-M20E posted above.   It gets installed as an Owner Produced Part, so the OPP process requirements should be followed.

I've done two like this.

Even as an A&P I can't produce the part, so I make a logbook entry for the OPP as owner/operator, and then a separate entry to install it as an A&P.

• Like 2

Macfarland told me that they are still seeking certification of their throttle and prop cables for the Mooney.... the generic mixture cable is already certified for use in our planes...at least that is my understanding, per their website.

The new design vernier throttle & prop cables without a push button are pretty slick- turn for vernier or  just grab the knob and move in and out without having to unlock it.

15 hours ago, Newowner said:

What you are seeing here is the process for an owner to get parts for his plane when the parts are no longer available...

There are a few twists and turns to each situation...

Fortunately Macfarlane is very familiar and supportive to the Mooney community...

The process includes sending in the only ones you have... they copy them... because they make engine controls for a living...

Fully documented, and very legal...

You can have your mechanic brush up on the owner supplied parts by talking to Macfarlane...

Of course... If Mooney makes the part... and can supply it.... call you local MSC and see if it is available...  depending on the day and year... Mooney hasn’t always been able to supply some important parts... unfortunately...

How many times are you going to answer the same question?   Year and model of your plane is pretty important for many conversations... :)

Everybody else is doing it.... or endlessly writing I have a xx yy...

Best regards,

-a-

I used a 337 to install all MacFarlane replacement cables in my A Model.  I'm looking for the .pdf in my files, but cannot locate it  .. right now.    Technical writing, as well as turning wrenches,  can be a real asset in the aviation world.

I do remember citing MacFarlane producing similar cables for other certificated AC under PMA.  I think here you reference the FAA standard regarding owner produced parts.  I think I even included a letter from MacFarlane saying that all of their cables are manufactured under identical technical standards.  Their is also a FAA technical bulletin titled something like "engine controls for reciprocating engines"  I referenced that and the golden rule for any 337 is to finish it with "instructions for continued airworthiness" (even if you say there are none required) but I quoted some lines out of this tech bulletin.  I also attached the drawings for the replacement cables on MacFarlane's standard form. 

Hope this helps.  My AI at the time required this and a 337 on file is always a plus for any "even minor" work. Joe

Edited by mike20papa

17 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

Macfarland told me that they are still seeking certification of their throttle and prop cables for the Mooney.... the generic mixture cable is already certified for use in our planes...at least that is my understanding, per their website.

The new design vernier throttle & prop cables without a push button are pretty slick- turn for vernier or  just grab the knob and move in and out without having to unlock it.

My new Macfarland vernier throttle cable would be "slick" if the vernier actually worked. I can rotate mine 10 turns without any change. To get the vernier to work I have to push in while turning clockwise and pull slightly when turning counterclockwise. I've ended up using it as a non-vernier cable. Also, according to my MSC, the notch on the cable makes it almost impossible to set the landing gear low MP warning. I have had 2 separate service facilities try to adjust the alarm and they both gave up. It seems the cable needs some more design time.

My new Macfarland vernier throttle cable would be "slick" if the vernier actually worked. I can rotate mine 10 turns without any change. To get the vernier to work I have to push in while turning clockwise and pull slightly when turning counterclockwise. I've ended up using it as a non-vernier cable. Also, according to my MSC, the notch on the cable makes it almost impossible to set the landing gear low MP warning. I have had 2 separate service facilities try to adjust the alarm and they both gave up. It seems the cable needs some more design time.

FWIW, mine works fine. How much resistance is there?

I had to have my shop do it twice. I ended up shutting down engine with throttle in the proper position. Then I had them disconnect throttle cable at the engine, adjust the throttle cable to turn on the warning and reconnect it.

2 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

FWIW, mine works fine. How much resistance is there?

I had to have my shop do it twice. I ended up shutting down engine with throttle in the proper position. Then I had them disconnect throttle cable at the engine, adjust the throttle cable to turn on the warning and reconnect it.

I measured the distance the throttle knob had to be out for 16''MP. The shops used that to set the alarm switch. But sometimes the warning comes on at 23MP and sometimes 19. Never been able to get any consistency or even close to the warning coming on at 16MP.

I don't have much resistance in the cable. I tried increasing/decreasing the friction but that doesn't make the vernier work. I am open to any ideas because Macfarlane said to work with the installer and the installer has given up on the cable working correctly. Same with the second MSC.