What do you call your Bravo?

Mark Cline

When I first got my Bravo, I would say “Mooney Bravo” then the tail number on the radio.  I found that confused some people (they thought Bravo was part of the tail number), so I just started calling it a “Mooney.”  However, its much faster than the typical Mooney.  So I started calling it “Turbo Mooney” (after the M20T identifier) then the tail number and that ended any confusion.

Yes, I know that I don’t have to say that it’s a Mooney, and yes I know I can just give the tail number.

However, I was curious what other Bravo pilots call their airplane in the air (if they call it anything other than the tail number). 

Thanks!     

Yeah...I get the point that we "sneak up" a bit faster than others...it particular on approach or with tower.  Nonetheless I just say Mooney 9149P.   Otherwise it could get confusing...especially since "bravo" is part of the phonetic alphabet.   

I think commanders have the same problem, and I hear some pilots say turbo commander.

The fewer words, the better. ATC loves brevity on the frequency. After they know my full call number then Mooney 4JF. At lower altitudes Ovations are just as fast, no need to say Turbo for a Bravo or else they will want you to do airliner speeds on final and not space you out properly for a nice stabilized approach.

• Like 3

95% of my flying is into non-towered airports.  Air traffic controllers already know what I am per the IFR filing - there I am just my tail number.  I am talking about communicating with other pilots in non-controlled airspace.  If there is an M20D 10 north of the non-controlled field and I am 10 south, I am going to get there sooner.  I wanted to know what other Bravo pilots called themselves, if anything, in such situations.     

In the traffic pattern...

I’m the blue and white Mooney...

In case the student pilots can’t read my tail number... and haven’t learned what a Mooney looks like...

If they are so close they can read my tail number... I’m still the blue and white Mooney. :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I am also a Blue and While Mooney in the pattern at uncontrolled airports. I've always done this believing its far more useful than saying a tail number that no one can read. But these days folks can see my tailnumber with their adbs-b traffic in the pattern, so the Blue & White Mooney may not be as useful as what it was pre-adbs-b days.  At least when I am in a towered airport traffic pattern, I am listening for other tail numbers I hear the controller clear for the same runway and verify their location on my Ads-B - this helps when you're #4 or #5 for the runway and their is a parallel runway equally busy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, gsxrpilot said:

If you've really got a fast airplane, you don't have to talk about it. It will be evident to the controller.

Tucson Approach asked me to slow down coming in recently :D as I was about to overtake a regional. They know!