GoPro blues...

Fry

Hi there,

I have a GoPro Hero8, and have 3D printed my own quick-mount including a 5000mAh powerbank which allows the GoPro to run for >5 hours. I have mounted the camera to the VOR antenna at the vertical stabilizer, so the movies show my aircraft in front of the scenery, which I like very much. The quick-mount is so convenient that I now routinely record every flight (and get to judge every landing afterwards :-). So far, so good.

Two concerns:

* I would not be a Mooniac if I wouldn't complain about the ridiculous form factor of the GoPro, would I? That form factor imitates the form factor of a big camera which makes no sense, as it is usually mounted to something in motion (helmet, bicycle handlebars, etc) where aerodynamics is somewhat important. So, does anyone have a recommendation for another camera with a better form factor and preferably also a longer battery run-time, but comparable 4K image quality?

* When flying through clouds, even the least bit of icing clogs the camera lens, rendering the movie unusable until one gets back to lower, warmer air. Before some of you jump at me for flying through "icing conditions" - I am talking about light icing of a few millimeters, hardly noticeable on the leading edge of the wings. Does anyone have an idea how to make a "deiced" lens, possibly using a slightly heated cover element)?

Happy landings

Fry

You can find some older cameras like the Contour, Session, or VIRB cameras that are a bit more aerodynamic, but they’re older, more dated tech, which means you’re gonna see a significant drop in image quality (and I’m not talking 1080 vs 4k here, but overall sensor and processor performance in terms of color, contrast, dynamic range, quantization, in-camera stabilization, rolling shutter performance, capture frame rates, and so on.  

You get a lot of bang for the buck in a GoPro in terms of image capture flexibility and image quality. And other action cameras that yield similar image quality (like the Sony RXO-II) are a similar form factor to the GoPro. GoPro sells a heap of cameras for a reason.

Edit: Might also look at products aimed at motorcyclists. Aerodynamics tend to be a bigger deal there because head mount is common. Products like Sena might be a bit more aerodynamic, but pretty sure my comments above about IQ will still apply. 

Edited by sleeper-319

I'm super interested in this topic. I've only ever used GoPro cameras to date. And I've used a lot of them. 

I was just looking at the Drift cameras, but their Amazon reviews are not good. I'd love to order a Drift 4K but just a little hesitant at the moment.

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm super interested in this topic. I've only ever used GoPro cameras to date. And I've used a lot of them. 

I was just looking at the Drift cameras, but their Amazon reviews are not good. I'd love to order a Drift 4K but just a little hesitant at the moment.

For fun I ordered one of the Amazon clone 4K.    It's OK but the Sony not 4K probably 720 still has a better picture.   Nope the Sony is:  Record up to 1080 60p (50 Mbps) Video

I was flying the clone 4K around on the drone and it was just not that pretty.     I will tell you what is pretty is the 4K on the Antifa drone.    A snapshot off the video from the Antifa. 

vlcsnap-2021-05-18-16h50m07s542.png

Edited by Yetti

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I don't have the Drift 4K but have used the Drift Ghost X and been impressed with it. I get 4+ hours of battery life out of it. This is a video from it mounted under the wing. Skip ahead to about 30 minutes for some nice footage of the lights from container ships coming up through the marine layer. A bonus is that the N-Flight Cam cable that is for the GoPro Hero 3 will also work with the Drift Ghost X to pick up the radio/intercom on a recording. I did a write up a couple months ago in The Mooney Flyer about the different cameras I have used and the mounts. You can make a good underwing mount that goes on the tie-down for about $15.

https://themooneyflyer.com/issues/2021-AprTMF.pdf - Look at the "Cameras, Mounts, and Cables Article

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I don't have the Drift 4K but have used the Drift Ghost X and been impressed with it. I get 4+ hours of battery life out of it. This is a video from it mounted under the wing. Skip ahead to about 30 minutes for some nice footage of the lights from container ships coming up through the marine layer. A bonus is that the N-Flight Cam cable that is for the GoPro Hero 3 will also work with the Drift Ghost X to pick up the radio/intercom on a recording. I did a write up a couple months ago in The Mooney Flyer about the different cameras I have used and the mounts. You can make a good underwing mount that goes on the tie-down for about $15.

https://themooneyflyer.com/issues/2021-AprTMF.pdf - Look at the "Cameras, Mounts, and Cables Article

Yep, I read the article and watched the video, all before I went to look at the cameras. And I was about to buy when I started reading the reviews. But it's good to hear you're not having any issues with the Drift. Maybe I should get the Ghost X for a lot less money and try it out.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yep, I read the article and watched the video, all before I went to look at the cameras. And I was about to buy when I started reading the reviews. But it's good to hear you're not having any issues with the Drift. Maybe I should get the Ghost X for a lot less money and try it out.

Yes, no problems at all with them. The first one I bought was on a lightning deal with Amazon and I think was $80 so I thought what the heck, I've thrown that much money at stuff that didn't work before, why not give it a try. Even at $100 it's not a bad deal to try out, the jump to the 4K at $250 is more than I would want to roll the dice on. From what I have read unless you are planning to put it on a big screen TV the 4K isn't noticeable. Even watching the videos from the Ghost X on my 75" TV they are crisp and look good. I'm sure if I watched the 1080p side by side with 4K I could tell, but for what I'm doing I'm very happy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Yes, no problems at all with them. The first one I bought was on a lightning deal with Amazon and I think was $80 so I thought what the heck, I've thrown that much money at stuff that didn't work before, why not give it a try. Even at $100 it's not a bad deal to try out, the jump to the 4K at $250 is more than I would want to roll the dice on. From what I have read unless you are planning to put it on a big screen TV the 4K isn't noticeable. Even watching the videos from the Ghost X on my 75" TV they are crisp and look good. I'm sure if I watched the 1080p side by side with 4K I could tell, but for what I'm doing I'm very happy.

Thanks. And love the video and the blog by the way. Always good stuff.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Skates97 said:

From what I have read unless you are planning to put it on a big screen TV the 4K isn't noticeable. Even watching the videos from the Ghost X on my 75" TV they are crisp and look good. I'm sure if I watched the 1080p side by side with 4K I could tell, but for what I'm doing I'm very happy.

I've done video quality analysis and consumer testing in my day job, and it's highly content dependent. 1080p to 4K from a consumer display perspective is definitely into the flat part of the diminishing marginal returns curve. But there are plenty of benefits to you as a creator from capturing in 4k (cropping, stabilizing, reframing, etc.). All that said, I'd opt for a camera with better dynamic range and optical characteristics over one with a larger raster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1