Anyone else see this as a blow to General Aviation

Why does the FAA have to meddle in everything and make aviation a complete pain in the ass?  The instruction will still go on but now a different kind of compensation will occur.  Where I live there is an aerial spray company that has been crop dusting for over 35 years, has every single needed signature required and has endorsements a mile long.  The FAA did an audit of his logs and a signature back 30 years ago is not legible now his entire business is in an uproar because a signature is not readable from the ink smearing.  The FAA needs to stick to the big cans in the sky.  General aviation needs less government.  My opinion is if it is less than 12K pounds and certified or not stay the hell out of the business.  The rules need to be rewritten and the laws need to change.   The FAA is a needed entity but the overreach, the black or white rules, and the right or wrong mentality are sometimes gray and adjustment needs to be made.  Some of the rules were written so long ago they are obsolete and still require enforcement.  Where is the common sense?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I think everybody knows that this wasn't really flight instruction. It was an excuse to sell warbird rides. I would like to know how many of their students ended up with type certificates? A few I'm sure, but not many.

I think you mean type rating, but most Military aircraft you can’t be type rated for, because there is no type Certificate. All I can see you could get from a P-40 is tail wheel sign off and high performance / complex aircraft. 

See I agree with the FAA here, they Warbirds have pretty much a special Category so they can fly, because they do not meet all kinds of regulations of a normal Category aircraft, so they should not be used in a manner not consistent with their Category.

‘I feel certain that if they were only giving flight instruction to new Warbird owners, or prospective buyers nothing would have been said.

‘Now that I’ve said that, flight instruction and flight instructors have been forever given special considerations in maintenance requirements and Medicals etc. I have no idea why.

But 99% of the FAA bosses if you get to know them will admit that in their opinion that they waste too much time policing rich men’s toys where they should  be serving the Airlines because that’s serving the public. They also love to talk about the GA aging aircraft “problem” too.

9 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I think you mean type rating, but most Military aircraft you can’t be type rated for, because there is no type Certificate. All I can see you could get from a P-40 is tail wheel sign off and high performance / complex aircraft. 

See I agree with the FAA here, they Warbirds have pretty much a special Category so they can fly, because they do not meet all kinds of regulations of a normal Category aircraft, so they should not be used in a manner not consistent with their Category.

‘I feel certain that if they were only giving flight instruction to new Warbird owners, or prospective buyers nothing would have been said.

‘Now that I’ve said that, flight instruction and flight instructors have been forever given special considerations in maintenance requirements and Medicals etc. I have no idea why.

But 99% of the FAA bosses if you get to know them will admit that in their opinion that they waste too much time policing rich men’s toys where they should  be serving the Airlines because that’s serving the public. They also love to talk about the GA aging aircraft “problem” too.

The FAA used to give Letters Of Authorization for jet warbirds. About 10 years ago they started requiring Type Ratings. As far as a P40 is concerned, I think you are correct, as long as you have a tail wheel, complex and high performance sign off, you are good to go.

31 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The FAA used to give Letters Of Authorization for jet warbirds. About 10 years ago they started requiring Type Ratings. As far as a P40 is concerned, I think you are correct, as long as you have a tail wheel, complex and high performance sign off, you are good to go.

You can’t get a type rating for most Military aircraft, unless there is a civilian version, DC-3 and C-47 for example. So for pretty much any fighter or pursuit aircraft I wonder how they do that? 

‘I don’t have a type rating for an AH-64  as there is no civilian counterpart, there is no type to get a rating for, even though it’s got a gross weight of 21,000 lbs.

The FAA has no say, however in certain circumstances they can, for example say your local Sheriff’s office got an OH-58 from the Army when the Army got rid of them, they can fly it as a public category aircraft with a restricted airworthiness certificate, Then it’s under the FAA’s jurisdiction as it’s no longer a Military aircraft, you can spray crops with one too under a restricted certificate, Crop Dusters are Restricted category. But don’t carry passengers under normal circumstances.

‘Every rule has exceptions, for example only a vanishingly small number of crop dusters have an ELT in the US.

I would have expected most Warbirds to fly under an exhibition certificate, but that’s a PIA, I believe you have to report each movement or at least each exhibition destination.

‘I’ve only done that once for Oshkosh

19 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

You can’t get a type rating for most Military aircraft, unless there is a civilian version, DC-3 and C-47 for example. So for pretty much any fighter or pursuit aircraft I wonder how they do that? 

‘I don’t have a type rating for an AH-64  as there is no civilian counterpart, there is no type to get a rating for, even though it’s got a gross weight of 21,000 lbs.

The FAA has no say, however in certain circumstances they can, for example say your local Sheriff’s office got an OH-58 from the Army when the Army got rid of them, they can fly it as a public category aircraft with a restricted airworthiness certificate, Then it’s under the FAA’s jurisdiction as it’s no longer a Military aircraft, you can spray crops with one too under a restricted certificate, Crop Dusters are Restricted category. But don’t carry passengers under normal circumstances.

‘Every rule has exceptions, for example only a vanishingly small number of crop dusters have an ELT in the US.

I would have expected most Warbirds to fly under an exhibition certificate, but that’s a PIA, I believe you have to report each movement or at least each exhibition destination.

‘I’ve only done that once for Oshkosh

They now require type ratings for all jet warbirds. The FARs have always said you need a type rating for a jet aircraft. They used to give letters of authorization for jet warbirds, but now they require type ratings. 

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/64797/what-licenses-endorsements-or-type-ratings-do-you-need-to-fly-a-fighter-jet

I guess your saying any kind of type of jet type rating, cause your not getting an F-104 type rating for instance.

Exhibition is pretty restrictive, you can’t just go get a hamburger, without notifying the FAA when, where, route etc. if memory serves, so I’m sure they could but I believe that’s the end of the rides.

‘I don’t know how rides are given, no idea really, but I know the FAA is wanting to shut that down too, especially if money changes hands, that puts you into a whole different light, and is why I’m sure they were calling it training.

Now that I think about it, I’d bet lunch they were told likely several times to cease “training” 

Edited by A64Pilot

23 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I guess your saying any kind of type of jet type rating, cause your not getting an F-104 type rating for instance.

Exhibition is pretty restrictive, you can’t just go get a hamburger, without notifying the FAA when, where, route etc. if memory serves, so I’m sure they could but I believe that’s the end of the rides.

‘I don’t know how rides are given, no idea really, but I know the FAA is wanting to shut that down too, especially if money changes hands, that puts you into a whole different light, and is why I’m sure they were calling it training.

Now that I think about it, I’d bet lunch they were told likely several times to cease “training” 

Actually there is an F-104 type rating. These guys will train you for it:

https://flyastarfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2018F104-Flight-Training.pdf

My friend has a T-33. He pretty much can fly it whenever and wherever he wants. You are allowed to fly it for proficiency and training. All flights are for proficiency except the ones that are for training.

• Like 1