• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 3:25 PM, Hank said:

Let us know what happens!

Just to keep you all in the loop... The insurance adjuster let us know that they will pay out up to 70% of the policy amount for this particular policy before totaling out. After looking at the plane, she thinks it's possible we might be able to repair it within that amount, but not likely and we were instructed to gather quotes. 

We've been trying to, but are finding it difficult to get responsive mechanics and so we are currently in a horrible waiting game and have no answers whether or not we will be able to repair the plane. 

If it is totalled, due to how difficult it's been to simply get ahold of mechanics to get quotes, the owner is uncertain whether it would be feasible to purchase it back and try to get it repaired himself, particularly due to the fact in order for us to be able to afford repairs we would likely need to purchase used parts and we aren't sure how difficult it would be to find a mechanic willing to repair with parts we provide... So it's uncertain what we would do at that point, which is very sad.

She's a beautiful little plane and he would really like to keep her, so keep your fingers crossed!

Where is this plane located currently?

Somebody has to decide what they want to do from an owners perspective...

Identify all the broken parts... by part number

And see what they cost... from the people that have them...

Gather info on what they want for the engine to be done...

Same with the prop...

If that were my plane...

Do I want to get it back to the condition it was last in... with only the remaining hours until TBO....

Since all this work is getting done at my expense... do I want to end up with everything OH’d... good for another 2000hrs..?

Or are there any upgrades I might want while I’m doing this... a one piece belly, a different or new prop..?

Imagine asking a mechanic to spend hours of time researching a project...

When the owner can’t decide what it is he wants to do...

From an owners point of view...

What is that 70% dollar value that the insurance company is offering...

At the point it becomes too difficult to answer these questions...

It is probably better for somebody else to rebuild the plane... their expense, their risk, their profit...

There are mechanics that do this to support their families...

They have skills in this area that are different than the skills most pilots have...

Don’t feel bad if the owner finds this too challenging...  it is not an opportunity for everyone to capitalize on...

Then there is a time issue... these projects can take eons to complete... based on time available from other projects and jobs...

Best regards,

-a-

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

Where is this plane located currently?

Somebody has to decide what they want to do from an owners perspective...

Identify all the broken parts... by part number

And see what they cost... from the people that have them...

Gather info on what they want for the engine to be done...

Same with the prop...

If that were my plane...

Do I want to get it back to the condition it was last in... with only the remaining hours until TBO....

Since all this work is getting done at my expense... do I want to end up with everything OH’d... good for another 2000hrs..?

Or are there any upgrades I might want while I’m doing this... a one piece belly, a different or new prop..?

Imagine asking a mechanic to spend hours of time researching a project...

When the owner can’t decide what it is he wants to do...

From an owners point of view...

What is that 70% dollar value that the insurance company is offering...

At the point it becomes too difficult to answer these questions...

It is probably better for somebody else to rebuild the plane... their expense, their risk, their profit...

There are mechanics that do this to support their families...

They have skills in this area that are different than the skills most pilots have...

Don’t feel bad if the owner finds this too challenging...  it is not an opportunity for everyone to capitalize on...

Then there is a time issue... these projects can take eons to complete... based on time available from other projects and jobs...

Best regards,

-a-

It is currently located in Utah

From a few people a have talked to, I think repairs could be done under $15000 easily if we can find a mechanic willing to do repairs using used parts rather than new parts provided by them.

The work isn't being done at the owners expense- either it will be covered by insurance or we will be purchasing used parts to stay within the remaining balance of the insurance payout after buy back. 

But yes, if the insurance chooses to total it and it seems too complicated, we will probably let them take it so someone with a skillset better equipped to repair it can do so.

Expect buying new parts for a 50year old plane to be unusual...

Takes a lot of time, plenty of Coordination... and be on par with buying parts for an M20V...

I haven’t bought a new plane yet... mostly because they are soooo expensive...

Expect most mechanics would prefer installing proper parts from a donor... the kind that are available today at a great price...

But...  if you want... grab the part numbers form the IPC... and ask your local MSC if they can get/quote price and delivery for you...

Some parts are pretty obvious whether they need to be replaced or not...

Start with those ones and build your cost list...

See how close to budget you can be... or if it goes over budget so quickly and there are still damaged parts to be discovered...

1) Engine gear down?

2) Prop?

3) Belly panels?

4) paint/finish

The more delay in getting started...  the longer this project is going to take...

It’s usually measured in months...

post dozens of pics...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:25 PM, A64Pilot said:

You shouldn’t have too much of. a problem finding a mechanic to use owner supplied parts I woudn’t think. Finding parts can be a pain, one I’d rather not have to go through myself

I've done the research and have located nearly every part we might need at this point. It sounds like if that's the hardest part it might not be so bad to get it repaired. One can hope either way.

4 hours ago, Sienicwi said:

I've done the research and have located nearly every part we might need at this point. It sounds like if that's the hardest part it might not be so bad to get it repaired. One can hope either way.

You can post your list...

And see what @Alan Fox has in the back room...

Or send him the list if privacy is important...

Finding Mooney parts isn’t that hard around here...

Best regards,

-a-

Pics of the damaged parts... can remove much of the mystery...

Pics of the parts in the vicinity of the damaged parts can remove the next layer of the mystery...

We also have contacts for prop and engine work...

This basic research helps take the fear, and need for hope, out of the flight plan... :)

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Jerry Pressley @Alan Fox looks like there might be a repairable airframe waiting for you. 

@Sienicwi were you a partner in this plane?  Sorry to hear it got totaled out. what did the quotes vs insured value come out to be so we may all be educated.  Seems like insured value - %30 might have been close to have been able to have insurance buy out their liability and you guys are close to being able to out in the extra $$ to keep her without the hassle of having to find a new plane?  If you don’t mind us asking what was the prior experience of the PIC in RG / MM?  Did he receive transition training ?