Looking for an available Mooney Expert/Enthusiast I&A for PPI(Pre-Buy) & Annual if all goes well near Ocala, FL

Hello fellow Mooniacs!

I pulled the trigger on a purchase agreement for a 1966 M20C located in Leeward Air Ranch near Ocala,FL.

I am looking for recommendations on very sharp I&As to inspect this plane that has only 20 hours flown in the last 15 years. 

I know it's a long shot but I tend to have great luck and need confirmation there is no looming issues with her and she is one sharp bird!

Most likely if all goes well,I would ask to complete the PPI and finish it as an annual.

Any recommendations on specific points to be keen on are also welcome!

I.e. spar corrosion,fuel seepage, pucks,camshaft corrosion, and anything else I'm missing or specific ways to analyze these big ticket items.

Thank you in advance for your time!

-Michael Brian

• Miami_Mooniac changed the title to Looking for an available Mooney Expert/Enthusiast I&A for PPI(Pre-Buy) & Annual if all goes well near Ocala, FL
1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

Contact Arnold Holmes at AVmech in Leesburg. He owns an E and is also a DAR. Sharp and fair. He will know what to look for and I am sure he will find a few things.

Thank you for this recommendation @mike_elliott

I just spoke with Arnold Holmes,great guy! Although he just hung his mechanic business up and has decided to pursue his DAR responsibilities full time.

If you know of anybody else that would be greatly appreciated

On 5/15/2021 at 6:52 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Does the plane have a current annual now? Can it be flown to a shop?

No sir it does not,would need a ferry permit.. trying to see if i can get it to PJ's in Avon Park if possible. If not second choice would be to have a great I&A come do the pre-buy and annual i presume if all goes well..

Just now, avtech72 said:

No sir it does not,would need a ferry permit.. trying to see if i can get it to PJ's in Avon Park if possible. If not second choice would be to have a great I&A come do the pre-buy and annual i presume if all goes well..

How far from PJ is the plane?

PJ knows Mooneys... and can probably asses many things with out flying it just yet...

Start with the phone call...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 5/16/2021 at 10:49 PM, carusoam said:

How far from PJ is the plane?

PJ knows Mooneys... and can probably asses many things with out flying it just yet...

Start with the phone call...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

113 NM to PJ and PJ will not deliver it, so looking for alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 6:53 PM, gsxrpilot said:

You should be buying it cheap enough that you don't even need a pre-buy.

I live within spitting distance of Leeward, next air park over, but I surrendered my IA due to not being able to renew and haven’t gotten it back yet. Waiting to hear from the FAA

‘But I second the above statement. As people age they stop flying and sometimes those that live in air parks don’t sell because there is no hanger rent etc and it’s hard to swallow the anchor to use a sailing term so the aircraft just sit, sometimes for decades, it’s not uncommon at all.

Often they pass and it’s the kids or Wife that end up selling. Neighbor Lady just sold a very low time cherry twin Comanche, one engine needed a few new cylinders, but the buyers said the cam was fine. One was an IA the other an A&P and that’s usually the type that buys these “barn finds”

The upside is that these aircraft are sitting in usually by regular airport standards, very good hangers, almost like being in a house, some are climate controlled.

‘For many of those aircraft the clock pretty much stops.

They can be a good find, sort of a barn find. OLD avionics of course.

In my opinion you should pay almost nothing for it, getting the owner to realize that can be an issue, but as they live in an air park, their neighbors should keep them grounded in reality.

You taking if to Miami? Do you have hanger space for it there? 

+1 for PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 9:28 AM, A64Pilot said:

I live within spitting distance of Leeward, next air park over, but I surrendered my IA due to not being able to renew and haven’t gotten it back yet. Waiting to hear from the FAA

‘But I second the above statement. As people age they stop flying and sometimes those that live in air parks don’t sell because there is no hanger rent etc and it’s hard to swallow the anchor to use a sailing term so the aircraft just sit, sometimes for decades, it’s not uncommon at all.

Often they pass and it’s the kids or Wife that end up selling. Neighbor Lady just sold a very low time cherry twin Comanche, one engine needed a few new cylinders, but the buyers said the cam was fine. One was an IA the other an A&P and that’s usually the type that buys these “barn finds”

The upside is that these aircraft are sitting in usually by regular airport standards, very good hangers, almost like being in a house, some are climate controlled.

‘For many of those aircraft the clock pretty much stops.

They can be a good find, sort of a barn find. OLD avionics of course.

In my opinion you should pay almost nothing for it, getting the owner to realize that can be an issue, but as they live in an air park, their neighbors should keep them grounded in reality.

You taking if to Miami? Do you have hanger space for it there? 

Really good advice, and that's what I'm hoping for here. Hopefully the clock did stop,even though it's not a climate controlled hangar.

I'm wondering how much is near nothing and how can I make him aware to it..

I have a pre-buy scheduled for it July 5th-6th with an IA so if all goes well to get the annual. Or to give me a list of how much work it needs to drop the price even lower, and basically give it away hopefully..

I am a certified A&P but don't have an IA I personally know to help me with this case..plus I don't have enough experience on these GA aircraft overall to fully take on the project.. You would've been a perfect candidate for the IA!! Let me know if you do hear back,and if your still interested in helping me bring this Mooney back to its glory days!

I can go over with you and look at it, either one of us ought to be able to get a ferry permit. I’d want a nice longish ground run and cut the filter first though.

‘Unless it’s overly far away, I might even leave the gear down until I got to the shop unless retract tests were done, many have jacks can’t hurt to ask. My luck they would come half way up and stop, stuck

‘I’ve been working with Orlando FSDO ref the IA, 8610.1 etc is done, everything is done, she is mailing me the 8610.1 and will watch me sign it via a facetime call, then I’ll mail them back to her for her to sign, then she will mail them back to me, you know because if I see her face to face she’ll catch Covid and die.

Hopefully July I’ll go to Bakers for the test prep and will have my IA back assuming I pass of course in July. I guess the people at Baker’s won’t catch Covid and die, just the Feds?

• 2 weeks later...

He does have jacks available for the gear swing, so lets see how that goes on the pre buy July 5-6th

On 6/11/2021 at 4:48 PM, A64Pilot said:

either one of us ought to be able to get a ferry permit

??? Im an A&P and I believe you as the IA is the only one allowed to get the ferry permit unless I missed something...

On 6/11/2021 at 4:48 PM, A64Pilot said:

I’d want a nice longish ground run and cut the filter first though

Yea thats what I've heard as well, even someone recommended pulling a cylinder to confirm the status of the camshaft corrosion. Not sure how I can arrange that for the PPI..

On 5/15/2021 at 6:53 PM, gsxrpilot said:

You should be buying it cheap enough that you don't even need a pre-buy.

Good to know.. but too late as I already signed for the Purchase Agreement and am in until the PPI, then I have the real choice of what to do with it.. but how cheap is cheap enough and how do I convince him of this.. Ive heard $10AMU is a good price... since I already agreed to $20k initially(maybe naïve, but I saw so many C's in the 50 -60's range that it sounded like a great deal!) now I'm looking for exit strategies or a proper good deal worth the time and effort of brining her up to date