Uvonix experience

Now that we have a fair amount of Uvonix installs already completed on a variety of different Mooney models, how do you now feel about them? Do you prefer the wingtip units over the tailbeacon or the other way around. Seem like there is about a $150 difference in price. Did you decide to change out/purchase a different transponder when you installed whatever uvonix unit you chose or did you keep the one you had. Especially looking for comments from "F" model owners. Thanks for any pireps you would care to share......

My unit is installed on a D/C model.  Installation option is the same as a standard F model ( wingtip mod exception I believe).

I chose wingtip because tail unit was not available at that point.

It would be a toss up for me regarding tail vs wingtip unit.

My unit operates with the existing Narco 150 unit.

All have performed flawlessly for approximately 2 years.

• Like 1

I have a tailbeacon installed on a J, I bought it with it installed, it had been installed by an MSC. When I got the airplane, I noticed it was loose, a quick investigation showed that they had used the screws supplied by Uavionix and they are smaller than what the Mooney requires, So I removed the unit and the installer had buggered up the plate that mounts to the rudder, the screws were broken and Uavionix supplies the good butt splices, the ones that heat shrink and seal with glue, but the installer hadn’t heat shrunk them, so everything they could screw up, they did.

‘So I called Uavionix and asked to buy the mounting plate, and was told it was a Certified part and they couldn’t sell it separately, So I thought UH-OH, but the next words out of his mouth was send it in and we will warranty it, and they did, even paid to ship it back Fedex.

So MSC zero, I mean how can you screw up two screws and two butt splices? Avionix 10 for supporting something that was not their fault. The $2,000 tail light was going to fall out, hopefully not on someone’s head.

‘I don’t like the wing tip one as how could you do wingtip strobes?

1A977AAE-1E99-430C-957A-D53DC28A1543.jpeg

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

I bought a wingtip SkyBeacon, as I was planning on going south a lot more (F-U Covid). Also under the thought that UAvionix was working on a SkyLight for the starboard wingtip (due Spring 2020.... F-U... avionix).

Figured this was my way to get strobes on my aircraft and make it look symmetrical..... And I wait. 

Now thinking I’ll switch to a tail Beacom when they release the TSO’d X and go another route for the wingtips. 

• Like 1

Had mine installed last year while plane was getting annual’d by previous owner. Took A&P/IA 3 hours (not joking) because he couldn’t get the light to rotate and lock in. Turns out, the base plate was not countersunk enough and countersunk screws that were provided stuck up about .005”. Enough to not let unit spin and lock in position. I haven’t been able to get unit to see my squawk code like the beacon app says, even changing thresholds. Now my battle is it is sending wrong code to ATC and had to disable otherwise I show a transponder code of xxxx and an ads-b code of yyyy. Only help I get from uavionix is adjust my threshold. Transponder is good, just had the 91.413 completed two weeks ago. 
maybe I’ve got old stuff, kt-76c, new RAMI av74 antenna, checked connections and wire and continuity is good. 
YMMV

Steve

• Like 1

I have a '70 F and installed the Tailbeacon in December 2019.  0.15AMU was insignificant to avoid the asymmetry that the wing tip install would have provided:D  My A&P and I installed in an hour and I kept my old KT76 transponder.  I did have to adjust the threshold to get good PARs.  Other than that minor adjustment I've been very happy!  Total cost with tax and install was under $2300.  While I'm still bitter that I was forced by government edict to install an always on tracking device (I don't buy the 'anonymous' mode...if the Feds want to track you, they are going to), I'm pretty glad I waited to the last minute...it's staggering how much some early adopters paid:o

• Like 1

‘67F model here. I went with the skybeacon as it was the only one available at the time.  AI let me do the install myself which would have been 15 minutes or less if the correct screws had been sent. A trip to the hardware store and a properly sized drill bit solved that issue.  Everything worked fine out of the box with my kt 76. 

I kept my whelen strobe on the right and wired it so that and the skybeacon strobe come on with the strobe switch. The skybeacon of course comes on with the Nav lights.

Tail or wing, both have pros and cons. If your tail light is in the rudder you have to rebalance, but I’m sure it’s much brighter than the original night light. If you go with the wing, your wings won’t match, but the install is super easy. Both have the same “guts” so either should work equally well.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SSimpson77 said:

Had mine installed last year while plane was getting annual’d by previous owner. Took A&P/IA 3 hours (not joking) because he couldn’t get the light to rotate and lock in. Turns out, the base plate was not countersunk enough and countersunk screws that were provided stuck up about .005”. Enough to not let unit spin and lock in position. I haven’t been able to get unit to see my squawk code like the beacon app says, even changing thresholds. Now my battle is it is sending wrong code to ATC and had to disable otherwise I show a transponder code of xxxx and an ads-b code of yyyy. Only help I get from uavionix is adjust my threshold. Transponder is good, just had the 91.413 completed two weeks ago. 
maybe I’ve got old stuff, kt-76c, new RAMI av74 antenna, checked connections and wire and continuity is good. 
YMMV

Steve

The supplied screws fit the baseplate, but not the aircraft, the ones required to fit the aircraft, #6 I believe will require you to counter sink the mounting plate, that can be done with a drill bit, but it won’t be the correct angle, but it will work.

‘It sounds to me like your phone or whatever your using is not connecting via bluetooth to the device, try to pair it again. If memory serves there is also a time limit to pair the device after it’s tuned on, and you can’t use the app when in the flight mode, which I’m pretty sure uses ground speed to determine flight mode.

So far as old equipment, I originally had a 41 yr old KT-76A and it worked fine, I recently put in a 76C and as far as I know it still works, but I have not done the flight test,but have flight followed and if it didn’t work, I expect they would have said something.

As far as anonymous mode, according to Jax approach when I was squawking 1200 he said all he got was the letters VFR, but surely there is a way somehow that you can be identified, I don’t believe it’s truly anonymous just as Onstar etc in automobiles etc can be remote activated and “ they “ can listen to conversations as well as track you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/01/15/police-spying-on-car-conversations-location-siriusxm-gm-chevrolet-toyota-privacy/?sh=67df7c202ef8

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 10:34 AM, A64Pilot said:

The supplied screws fit the baseplate, but not the aircraft, the ones required to fit the aircraft, #6 I believe will require you to counter sink the mounting plate, that can be done with a drill bit, but it won’t be the correct angle, but it will work.

‘It sounds to me like your phone or whatever your using is not connecting via bluetooth to the device, try to pair it again. If memory serves there is also a time limit to pair the device after it’s tuned on, and you can’t use the app when in the flight mode, which I’m pretty sure uses ground speed to determine flight mode.

So far as old equipment, I originally had a 41 yr old KT-76A and it worked fine, I recently put in a 76C and as far as I know it still works, but I have not done the flight test,but have flight followed and if it didn’t work, I expect they would have said something.

As far as anonymous mode, according to Jax approach when I was squawking 1200 he said all he got was the letters VFR, but surely there is a way somehow that you can be identified, I don’t believe it’s truly anonymous just as Onstar etc in automobiles etc can be remote activated and “ they “ can listen to conversations as well as track you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/01/15/police-spying-on-car-conversations-location-siriusxm-gm-chevrolet-toyota-privacy/?sh=67df7c202ef8

I’ll go give that another try. I think I normally connect via WiFi, not Bluetooth and when I do it says it’s talking fine to my phone. Something is fishy. I think I’ll go through all my wires and clean up all grounds. From what I read, the tailbeacon “hears” the squawk code through small voltage fluctuations. Maybe if I don’t have really good grounds it is somewhat muffling the sound to the tailbeacon. 

• Like 1

yeah , i’m likely incorrect in saying bluetooth, wifi is probably correct.

Yes it somehow determines squawk through power line, I’m thinking it’s just an antenna.’

Did you contact them via email? They were very helpful to me.

• Like 1

‘65 E model with a Tail Beacon since August 2019.  I chose that option since I already had LED nav/strobes on the wing tips.  It worked fine after it was finally configured properly.  The installer had some bad settings in the set up and it kept failing the proving flight.  I had an avionics guy (not the original A&P) take a look and he immediately knew what the issue was.  He made a software adjustment to the configuration and it has been great since.  I originally had an AT150 and it worked with that.   The transponder got a little weird ( sticking digits).  I had a chance to change that out for a Garmin 327 and it has worked great with that transponder too.

• Like 1

I have the skybeacon on my Mooney and I have the tailbeacon on my Experimental.  Both work problem free.  As others mentioned above the tailbeacon hardware screws for the mounting plate didn't fit my tail light mount. The screw diameter was to small.  I had to find backing nuts that fit the smaller diameter screws.

• Like 1

All the information that everyone has contributed on this threat is fantastic and extremely informative. For anyone looking to get a "feel" for which option they should choose for their own aircraft will not be disappointed in reading the experiences that the comments provided, whether good or bad. Given what's been said, my choice will be the wingtip unit. It seems to be the most trouble free not only with the install but with the configuration as well. It also seems to be the simplest of the two units once it's up and running as it should. Please accept my thanks for all the helpful information everyone has provided. As usual, this community rises up with the great wealth of knowledge it has and shares it with candor and frankness.... Kudos to everyone.

• Like 1

From what I’ve seen with these, if all you want is compliance, they will get you by.  I’ve been pleasantly surprised that they have worked.  I expect that those who have had trouble have had it with their long in the tooth transponder, not the beacon itself.