Kx155/165 replacements

larrynimmo

looks to be in the $3200  range.   I paid $1200 to add a VHF Com to the Dynon Skyview.  And it auto tunes the frequencies of the airports.   I just have to select which ones I want with a button.

I looked at it hard back in 2017.  It’s been “going through certification” ever since.

My impressions: the user interface is not very good.  They tried to cram too much stuff into the box, it makes it clunky to use.  I tried tuning frequencies and things like that for a while, and decided I would not buy it.  If they had done a simple NAV/COM replacement with maybe frequency storage, I’d jump on it.

What I did instead was to ship off my KX-155 to Gulf Coast avionics for an overhaul ($610).  It came back looking brand new and works great.  They also have the kit to change the display to LED, but mine didn’t need that yet.  That adds about $1600.

When mine dies, I’ve already decided to skip the TKM MX-155 and just get a Garmin GNC-255.  It’s only about $800 more than the MX-155,will work with my existing King KI-209, and can interface with my GPS and G5 if I want.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I looked at it hard back in 2017.  It’s been “going through certification” ever since.

My impressions: the user interface is not very good.  They tried to cram too much stuff into the box, it makes it clunky to use.  I tried tuning frequencies and things like that for a while, and decided I would not buy it.  If they had done a simple NAV/COM replacement with maybe frequency storage, I’d jump on it.

What I did instead was to ship off my KX-155 to Gulf Coast avionics for an overhaul ($610).  It came back looking brand new and works great.  They also have the kit to change the display to LED, but mine didn’t need that yet.  That adds about $1600.

When mine dies, I’ve already decided to skip the TKM MX-155 and just get a Garmin GNC-255.  It’s only about $800 more than the MX-155,will work with my existing King KI-209, and can interface with my GPS and G5 if I want.

Thanks that’s good info. I switched my primary to the 255 but have the 155 as my secondary (really a backup since the 255 is really two radios). I was wondering what I’ll do when the display eventually fails on my 155

3 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Shortly after buying my plane I replaced the aging KX 155 with a GNC 255A.  I'm glad I did, especially since it can take GPS input from the GTN 750 and identify the frequencies without an additional subscription.  With the GTN 750's COMM, it can basically give you three radios, because the GNC can monitor both of its frequencies simultaneously.  I'll often talk to approach on the GTN, monitor guard on the GNC, and toggle ATIS on the GNC's stand-by frequency as needed.  Really helps out.

And I'd be surprised if that TKM webpage has changed at all since 2017.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I’m holding onto the old King stuff as long as I can, Hopefully they will outlast me.

The displays are the ticking time bomb. Made with lightly radioactive material that no one will make today. Changing to LED is no small change as the existing system works on very high voltage.

-Robert

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

Shortly after buying my plane I replaced the aging KX 155 with a GNC 255A.  I'm glad I did, especially since it can take GPS input from the GTN 750 and identify the frequencies without an additional subscription.  With the GTN 750's COMM, it can basically give you three radios, because the GNC can monitor both of its frequencies simultaneously.  I'll often talk to approach on the GTN, monitor guard on the GNC, and toggle ATIS on the GNC's stand-by frequency as needed.  Really helps out.

And I'd be surprised if that TKM webpage has changed at all since 2017.

Are you sure that's true? It certainly uses the GPS to know which frequencies are local but I believe its using its own database to look up the frequencies. I pay the $25/yr to keep the database updated in the 255. I guess you'll have to wait for a local airport to change its frequencies to know.

BTW: The frequency database is the best feature of the radio. Transmitting on the wrong ctaf is one of my fears. And its easy to miss a frequency by a digit. Showing the  name of the airport on the comm radio is worth it to me.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Are you sure that's true? It certainly uses the GPS to know which frequencies are local but I believe its using its own database to look up the frequencies. I pay the $25/yr to keep the database updated in the 255. I guess you'll have to wait for a local airport to change its frequencies to know.

Believe so, haven't had an issue yet.  Guess I have to wait for a frequency to change to find out.

For those of you who are using GNC-255s- is the frequency database really that worthwhile?  I figured if I get a 255, I would still be verifying the frequency anyway, so I figured I may as well input it as well.

I could see the usefulness of AWOS or ATIS, but I’d be too scared the CTAF or Tower frequency changed to not look it up.  Just wondering from people who have real-world experience with it.

Just now, Andy95W said:

For those of you who are using GNC-255s- is the frequency database really that worthwhile?  I figured if I get a 255, I would still be verifying the frequency anyway, so I figured I may as well input it as well.

I could see the usefulness of AWOS or ATIS, but I’d be too scared the CTAF or Tower frequency changed to not look it up.  Just wondering from people who have real-world experience with it.

It’s $25/year. So I keep it updated. It’s just as reliable as your nav data. I use it to confirm. 

• Like 1

having a slide in replacement for the KX-155/165 is great ....

but why does the MX155 interface has to be so ugly .....  seriously ....  it looks like those Liquid Crystal watches from the 70/80s  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, OR75 said:

having a slide in replacement for the KX-155/165 is great ....

but why does the MX155 interface has to be so ugly .....  seriously ....  it looks like those Liquid Crystal watches from the 70/80s  

Things have probably evolved too but years ago I had a their slide in replacement for the KX-170b and it always had issues with moisture. I'm in California where the weather is pretty mellow and even at that on a cool morning the display wouldn't work right.

-robert

On 5/11/2021 at 4:22 AM, larrynimmo said:

Looks like there will finally be a plug and play replacement for our kx155/165 radio...it is going through certification

F5C4361D-8D2D-45AF-B842-13C6D497A1D9.png

Nothing has changed in 4 years on their website.  It was going through certification back then.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, RobertGary1 said:

Things have probably evolved too but years ago I had a their slide in replacement for the KX-170b and it always had issues with moisture. I'm in California where the weather is pretty mellow and even at that on a cool morning the display wouldn't work right.

-robert

Compare that to a stack of old Bendix King radios I had in the 210, I was leaving Bangor Maine IFR after the airplane being tied down outside for a couple days in steady rain.

As I rotated and just before punching into a 200 ft overcast layer, water came pouring out of the radio stack, yet they continued to work just fine.

17 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Compare that to a stack of old Bendix King radios I had in the 210, I was leaving Bangor Maine IFR after the airplane being tied down outside for a couple days in steady rain.

As I rotated and just before punching into a 200 ft overcast layer, water came pouring out of the radio stack, yet they continued to work just fine.

And with those old King radios if they did stop working you could go to an avionics shop and they'd open it up and solder on a new capacitor or whatever. Today its "slide it out and mail it to Garmin".

13 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

And with those old King radios if they did stop working you could go to an avionics shop and they'd open it up and solder on a new capacitor or whatever. Today its "slide it out and mail it to Garmin".

Quasar TVs had “works in a drawer” for easy maintenance. Times have changed. Anyone get a “field repair” on a TV lately? Modern SMT boards are not easily repairable. Pretty much all repairs now are board swaps.

I bought a new top of the line washing machine a few years ago for north of 1 AMU. It went nuts just after the warranty expired. Repairman came out and diagnosed new controller board needed — $600. 

Skip

12 hours ago, PT20J said:

I bought a new top of the line washing machine a few years ago for north of 1 AMU. It went nuts just after the warranty expired. Repairman came out and diagnosed new controller board needed — $600.

Same here, but a GE Monogram wall oven. I have a home service contract with a reputable company and they used to cover everything from soup to nuts, but about six years ago they started giving an allowance of $100 toward circuit boards.  Replacement board for the oven was $800