Drone encounter at 7500' today.

I had the same experience in September last year over L.A. at 11500'. We were three people onboard the Mooney and none of us in the airplane could identify what that big object was. I reported it to the ATC immediately. Then FAA and FBI called and interviewed all of us. They were not able to see anything on their radar. As far as I know they couldn't figure out what that was either. I was wondering why they didn't have a primary radar anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

The only way that flying a drone at that altitude would be legal would be under an FAA waiver, or certifying the aircraft under existing rules (like part 135)...and I’m not aware of any that exist for what was described.

Not only was the pilot of that drone in violation of the 400 foot limit, they were clearly violating the visual line of sight rule that is at the center of the exiting part 107 rule.  The remote PIC must remain in visual contact with the drone and avoid other aircraft.   Doing so using a camera or first person view does not count.  They have to see the drone with their eyes.

I hope that RemoteID will help reduce these types of encounters and make it possible to make flying in the airspace safer.   

Eventually there could be rules that allow drones to fly at those altitudes, although it would be rare, most missions like package delivery and surgery will be a lower altitudes.  The RTCA and ASTM standards bodies are working beyond line of sight navigation requirements for drones.  It will be up to each country’s regulator to adopt and build on the recommendations once released.  The goal would be safe and reliable integration into all types of airspace and altitudes.  In addition to the navigation requirements are “detect and avoid” and “traffic management” recommendations to ensure that ALL aircraft can fly safely.

My personal view, not those of the standards body, regulator, or any company.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 9:46 AM, A64Pilot said:

I was at Oshkosh years ago as am exhibitor, and before the start of the show I was walking around and spotted a Predator drone on display, being interested I walked over to the thing and noticed it’s big CBP decal. They apparently use reapers which are big 1000 HP aircraft to patrol the border? I asked how they did that, how did they get around the see and avoid requirement, and someone else walked up and said they only fly in controlled airspace so it was legit. I asked what controlled airspace and was told class A, so I asked how do you get to class A? He walked away.

I mean be realistic, what does the CBP need Reapers for? It even had the wing hard points. 32 million dollar a piece drone and the ground station costs God knows how much, to replace a man in a C-182. Operating costs of the Reaper are over $12,000 a hour.

https://gizmodo.com/we-mapped-where-customs-and-border-protection-drones-ar-1843928454

Again years ago I was at an IA renewal in Savannah Ga, it was at the 8th Air Force museum. One of the classes was given by the Civilian in charge of the Army drones at FT. Stewart. He said the flew them in the Restricted area. I asked where they were kept, he said that fly them out of Wright Army airfield which is now a joint Military / Civil airfield and or course is outside of the Restricted area. I asked how do they get the to the Restricted area since they are not allowed to fly in the National airspace system and he got a little pissed and didn’t answer.

KSJT: launch in Class D, climb in TFR to Class A.  

TFR has been there for more than a year.   Ft. Worth Center and San Angelo Approach do a good job of keeping things sorted out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Navy79 said:

KSJT: launch in Class D, climb in TFR to Class A.  

TFR has been there for more than a year.   Ft. Worth Center and San Angelo Approach do a good job of keeping things sorted out.

You're right, there are several unmanned aircraft that are doing those missions today.  Most, if not all, are certified winged aircraft being remotely piloted.  All be it different looking than manned winged aircraft they would look different and more importantly be "in the system."   Whereas if someone encounters a multi-copter drone at 7500 feet...it is most likely illegal.  

• 2 weeks later...