Spark Plug

So I have an EGT probe on each exhaust stack. Rotating through them, number 1 was significantly different than the others, much lower than the others. 

In January I replaced all spark plugs and added a Power Flow exhaust. 

I mentioned this to my mechanic last week when we upgraded the ELT. We checked the cylinder and found the top spark plug not even finger tight. 

I've never seen this before. Any ideas as to what would cause the plug to vibrate loose?

Thanks

Ummm, not using a new gasket or torque wrench. 

Only plug I have ever seen come loose was the one in my uncles Briggs & Stratton go cart. That’s because the threads were shot. It would shoot spark plugs. 150ft!

-Matt

• Like 1

And don’t forget the gasket. Someone did that on a couple of plugs on the museum DC-3 last year. It leaves about 2-3 threads protruding into the cylinder which get carboned up, and it was a real PITA removing them.

Skip

15 hours ago, PT20J said:

And don’t forget the gasket. Someone did that on a couple of plugs on the museum DC-3 last year. It leaves about 2-3 threads protruding into the cylinder which get carboned up, and it was a real PITA removing them.

Skip

Or they miss one sticking on the plug and have two on the plug putting the tip too far up in the cylinder head.

Have seen that one also.

I buy copper spark plug gaskets by the 100 and any time I remove a plug a new gasket goes on. Cheap insurance. 

Also remember that Continental and Lycoming have different torque values for their plugs  One size doesn't fit all.

• Like 2

No one has mentioned WHY the gaskets need to be replaced every time they come off

Copper gaskets turn "hard" after use on the engine and won't "crush" as they should to seal the spark plug hole when retightened

New gaskets are soft copper and crush correctly upon tightening for a proper seal.

One can also "anneal" the old gaskets to a soft condition by heating them cherry red a dropping them in water to quickly cool and anneal them. 

Copper and aluminum soften by quenching BUT steel hardens by quenching   Something to remember. 

• Like 3

There is a well known Mooney MSC in East Texas.  There was a Mooney came out of annual that went from there to a Mooney Safety clinic.   There were engine troubles.   All the spark plugs were only finger tight.

Edited by Yetti