Advice on getting comfortable sitting in an Ovation

I am looking at Ovation 2 GX's. I recently flew one for the first time. Loved it!

Any suggestions for getting comfortable in the Ovation? I had a J but it had been a while. Been renting a Cirrus. It is quite different with a yoke and the low seating. Much of it is me. I'm 6' 1" around 180 lbs.. I have the standard lower back issues. It didn't hurt but my feet were tingling a bit. Once in Cruise it was OK as I could slide the seat back and bend my knees. I didn't bump into the yoke at all but it seemed close. I see the seat goes up and down. Someone recommended a personalized seat. I have a small pad I use in a car. Oregon Aero apparently does some customized seat cushions. I've seen other notes on the message boards here.

That's it. I know an odd question but it's important. I want to be comfortable while enjoying my Ovation!

Thanks!

Not a Mooney, but my Maule had absolutely horrible seats, no thought or very little for comfort, just flat bench seats.

Oregon Aero cushions are expensive, but they absolutely transformed the seats, factory seats had my legs going to sleep and my back hurting i’m 30 minutes, Oregon Aero cushions and I could and did sit for 5 hours at a time.

Maule seats were horrible, if they can fix them, they can fix anything. But don’t go with off the shelf cushions, call them and tell them your issues and they will custom build something for you.

Excellent! Many thanks. A few other owners mentioned that they weren't that comfortable either. Guess I'd just forgotten. I won't be flying more than 3 hours or so I guess but want to be relatively pain free and enjoying the ride!

It'll be worth the money to me to get something from Oregon Aero. Appreciate the tip.

Perhaps the foam on the seat cushions is just shot and is in need of some quality seat work. One of the best shops for doing Mooney seats is Hector at Aero Comfort. They do multiple layers of different density memory foams  and know how to build up a comfortable seat without making the seat oversize and preventing access to seeing the Mooney floorboard gear light and accessing the manual trim wheel - a few things I have seen in done in "custom" seats gone wild. You can even ship him the seats and he'll ship them back. His shop does really quality work plus they also know Mooney's really well and can repair almost anything. 

First time I needed to re-do my tired seats and upholstery I didn't see the value in expensive seats and cheaped out with a local guy out of the auto upholstery business that knew enough to use materials with burn certs. But the quality of the seat cushion foam was terrible and on longer flights I became very uncomofrtable after only a couple hours. After years of flying like that I was determined to get a quality job for real comfort and and glad I did - the quality and comfort was defineitely worth the $.  

• Like 1

My 1978 M20J had horribly uncomfortable seats. My wife got me an orthopedic upholstered foam back support from a store specializing in such and I flew with that for a year. It was really comfortable with just the right support in all the right places. When it was time to redo the interior, I took the seats to an aviation upholstery shop and gave them the support and told them to match it and it turned out great.

Skip

Hi, I have a m20K with 3 inch pedal extensions. I am 6'2" and 175 lbs and find it quite comfortable even with the extensions. It allow me to site quite a bit further back and still reach the pedals but puts the yoke in a more comfortable position for me rather than right in my lap.

I have the seat on the last notch all the time, but never have anyone sitting behind me, so no concern about leg room.

Also, my seats are fixed, non adjustable. If anything, they are a bit too high for me after being resurfaced, but when they were old and squishy were too low...

iain

To the OP, it's not clear exactly what you're finding uncomfortable in the Ovation.  A GX means it has the G1000, which will be a big help since the panel will not be as tall as earlier models. I think it was the DX that had the St. Moritz gauges which added two inches to the height of the panel.  I don't know how this compares to the initial panels as I've not been in any of those.  But yes, the seat does adjust up and down which is very helpful.  I'm 6'2" 195, so similar to you, and I've found the seats to be fine. I leave my seat lowered to the stop, but then I raise the back to be more straight up so I can rest my back and still have easy access to the yoke.  I've always preferred my setbacks to be more upright than reclining, even in cars, so that's what works for me and my back.

As others have noted, you could redo all the cushioning and Oregon Aero is excellent at this. You may also consider some of the real sheepskin covers which can be quite nice. I had those in my J, but haven't added them to the Ovation. I may do this, though, because I can tell that now the padding in my seats is starting to compact.

If you have any other specific questions just let me know or shoot me a PM. Good luck!

On 5/8/2021 at 2:11 PM, A64Pilot said:

Not a Mooney, but my Maule had absolutely horrible seats, no thought or very little for comfort, just flat bench seats.

Oregon Aero cushions are expensive, but they absolutely transformed the seats, factory seats had my legs going to sleep and my back hurting i’m 30 minutes, Oregon Aero cushions and I could and did sit for 5 hours at a time.

Maule seats were horrible, if they can fix them, they can fix anything. But don’t go with off the shelf cushions, call them and tell them your issues and they will custom build something for you.

having owned both a Maule and a husky...its a toss up which eas worse...oregon aero memory foam to the rescue

• Haha 1

Thanks. Very Helpful!

That sounds similar. Had the feet going to sleep a bit. It's the reclined (lying down feel) that is getting to me.

Hey, it's a Mooney. We're sitting on the floor-board, not above it as in other aircraft. I'll get it done.

I tried most of what you said. I'll get the back more upright and the seat lowered all the way. Off to Oregon Aero or Aero Comfort.

I did a C182 2 hour engine break-in a couple of weeks ago.  I couldn't wait to get out of the plane.  While the seats were higher, I couldn't imagine going on a cross country with those seats.  It reminded me of my '66 Ford Mustang (my first car).  Most uncomfortable on a long trip.

To me Mooney figured out the seat angle on the Bravo perfectly.  There is no limit to the amount of time I can sit on my original seats comfortably on a cross country.  The same goes for all the Ovations I have flown.  I just don't like leather.  It doesn't breath.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:33 AM, Jeff_S said:

To the OP, it's not clear exactly what you're finding uncomfortable in the Ovation.  A GX means it has the G1000, which will be a big help since the panel will not be as tall as earlier models. I think it was the DX that had the St. Moritz gauges which added two inches to the height of the panel.  I don't know how this compares to the initial panels as I've not been in any of those.  But yes, the seat does adjust up and down which is very helpful.  I'm 6'2" 195, so similar to you, and I've found the seats to be fine. I leave my seat lowered to the stop, but then I raise the back to be more straight up so I can rest my back and still have easy access to the yoke.  I've always preferred my setbacks to be more upright than reclining, even in cars, so that's what works for me and my back.

As others have noted, you could redo all the cushioning and Oregon Aero is excellent at this. You may also consider some of the real sheepskin covers which can be quite nice. I had those in my J, but haven't added them to the Ovation. I may do this, though, because I can tell that now the padding in my seats is starting to compact.

If you have any other specific questions just let me know or shoot me a PM. Good luck!

St. Moritz is in Switzerland  : )

The Moritz brand instruments started in 1999 on the same height (taller) instrument panels that the Bravo and Ovation had since their beginnings, 1989 and 1994, respectively. 

In 2004 the panel was lowered 1-1/2 inches. The DX had steam gauges and as the G1000 was introduced around December 2004, that was called the GX. They had the same height instrument panels (lower). They eliminated the DX models part way through the next year since everyone was specifying the G1000 option (GX) for $20,000 more (zero DX Ovations or Bravos were made in 2005). All later Ovations (2004 and on), Bravos (2004-2006)  and all Acclaims have the same lowered instruments panels. The last tall instrument panels were in 2003. Finding a lower Ovation DX instrument panel is going to be hard - they are rare - 2004 only.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

I did a C182 2 hour engine break-in a couple of weeks ago.  I couldn't wait to get out of the plane.  While the seats were higher, I couldn't imagine going on a cross country with those seats.  It reminded me of my '66 Ford Mustang (my first car).  Most uncomfortable on a long trip.

To me Mooney figured out the seat angle on the Bravo perfectly.  There is no limit to the amount of time I can sit on my original seats comfortably on a cross country.  The same goes for all the Ovations I have flown.  I just don't like leather.  It doesn't breath.

Flew Ft Pierce to New York recently in one shot (5.5hr flight).  I pull the seat back all the way and then spread my legs between the two footwells.  No problems (but I do have the full adjustable seats which helps a lot).  And it's an AirMod / Dennis Wolter cloth interior that's 20 years old.  Quality work. Wouldn't do leather also.  PS: 6ft 220lbs.  Yeah yeah - Covid and sitting a lot the last year..... :D

Edited by pwnel

Flew Ft Pierce to New York recently in one shot (5.5hr flight).  I pull the seat back all the way and then spread my legs between the two footwells.  No problems (but I do have the full adjustable seats which helps a lot).  And it's an AirMod / Dennis Wolter cloth interior that's 20 years old.  Quality work. Wouldn't do leather also.  PS: 6ft 220lbs.  Yeah yeah - Covid and sitting a lot the last year..... 

Whenever I see an Ovation panel, it seems to be so large, I assume the fully adjustable seats help mitigate the submarine effect?

It’s obviously personal preference, but the Mooney is a more supine than erect position, I would describe it like the position of reading in bed. I find this much more comfortable than a chair. 
I’m 6’ 180lbs and I have done almost seven hours and no real problems with comfort in my Mooney. 
Meanwhile, 1+ hours in a 172 and I’m counting the minutes until we land. 
If you’re more comfortable in a chair vs a recliner, then you will probably never be as comfortable in a Mooney as other planes. 
That being said, I’m not sure any person could satisfactorily answer this question for someone else.