Post maintenance checklist

Personally I open up the panels and do a full visual. But I've been an owner and seen a lot of stuff. At least remove enough cowling to check for rags. But I've found things in the wing, etc after work from a Mooney Service Center. For me its easiest to just not allow work when I'm not around.

-Robert

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Aviation Medical Examiner?  :rolleyes:

Somebody yesterday did say their annuals were like going to the proctologist...

You could take him with, I’m not sure how helpful he’d be.  When I fly I always take my AME(Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) along.

Clarence

You should be able to get from Mooney the production test flight report.

‘It’s the checklist that every production aircraft must pass before the aircraft can be certified.

Often it’s two separate reports, the ground checks and flight checks are often separate. But it will walk you through every check that’s done to a new production aircraft.

There is usually a separate one for each model of aircraft and Mooney most likely has the ones for aircraft no longer in production in their historical files, calling and asking for the person in charge of their quality control dept should get you the forms.

Edited by A64Pilot

56 minutes ago, kortopates said:

download and read Lycomings SI on how to properly break-in the engine cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a friend who had a couple cylinders replaced, was losing the engine on his post maintenance flight losing power, they found shop rag pieces within the filter and cylinder, I guess you can’t always see the rags inspection looking around, luckily a safe outcome.

• Sad 1

Just now, Igor_U said:

This doesn't really help if he/she forgot something... 

If the AME won’t go along on the test flight, he either doesn’t trust his own work or doesn’t trust your piloting skills.  It’s mutual trust.  My work won’t kill you, your flying won’t kill me.

Clarence

Clarence,

I got this, I truly do... but him being with me in plane if engine quits will not solve the problem. ;) Reminds me of story in Fate is the hunter...

Full disclosure: Tomorrow, I will start working with my mechanic on an engine installation. considering I'll do (dirty) half of the work, I should be fully aware what we did, if we completed my IA's checklist, Lycoming break-in instructions and such.

47 minutes ago, Chris Strube said:

Clarence, are you still wrenching?  I was flying in the Arctic islands in the 80's when we met in Kitchener.

I sure am, we’re busier than ever.

15 hours ago, M20Doc said:

If the AME won’t go along on the test flight, he either doesn’t trust his own work or doesn’t trust your piloting skills.  It’s mutual trust.  My work won’t kill you, your flying won’t kill me.

Clarence

Wow, I must really trust you Clarence, all those rides you've given me where you are both the pilot and the mechanic!

18 hours ago, Danb said:

I had a friend who had a couple cylinders replaced, was losing the engine on his post maintenance flight losing power, they found shop rag pieces within the filter and cylinder, I guess you can’t always see the rags inspection looking around, luckily a safe outcome.

I hope any one that has previously picked up their plane after an invasive annual and didn't think much about departing IFR, and often on a weekend day after the shop was closed, takes your post to heart on the importance of both a thorough pre-flight (that wouldn't necessarily find the above issue) as well as a return to service flight above the airport! Stuff happens unfortunately and we're test pilots after significant maintenance.  

• Like 2

I had a NOS Rajay installed 2 years ago.  It completely changes the E.  I can still use 1500 ft grass strips, but can also climb to FL190 in 20 minutes.  In the summer heat, I might have to reduce climb to 500fpm above 14,000.  I show 135 KIAS at 10 GPH above FL180, which is about 180 KTAS.  The manual wastegate is fiddly, and I have to be very careful not to overboost, as there's no pop-off valve.  Lots of money to throw at an old 1965 E, but I enjoy the plane more.  Once travel opens up, we'll be back to some of our favourite places, which happen to be in Texas.  San Antonio and Austin are top of the list.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, M20Doc said:

Take your AME with you.

Clarence

I did that once. I had a truck hit me and had to fly an a&p out of Arizona down to Mexico. He fabricated a repair to the aileron and before putting my kids in the plane I said he needed to ride with me. He had a bit of a look of concern but he went. 

• 4 months later...

On a recent large design-build highway bridge over large river job, I performed Quality Assurance duties (a part of the process was to make sure that the QC happpened and was documented).  [An aside, it is interesting to see the improvement in QC when an engineer needs to sign a checklist confirming that all things were done]. That job reinforced the need/necessity of double checking that work was done correctly and that it was documented.

In a recent post-annual maintenance induced error, it made me think of and search for a specific post-annual checklist that I could sign MY name to that everything was QA-checked. 

Disappointing to find maintenance induced errors for relatively pricey work, but I suppose that we humans have a lot on our plates.

If I find the specific list, I’ll post it… otherwise I’ll create (and update it as I think/find/learn of more things to check).

Sidebar: two times in the last year when maintenance was performed, the mechanics failed to reconnect the RNC antenna connector for my transponder (two different shops).

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Can anyone confirm the Lycoming-approved method of adjusting power % during break-in of an IO-360 in a complex like my M20F?  Manifold pressure vs.  RPM?  Any combo is OK to achieve 85%, etc. In the performance charts?

9 hours ago, SLOWR426 said:

Can anyone confirm the Lycoming-approved method of adjusting power % during break-in of an IO-360 in a complex like my M20F?  Manifold pressure vs.  RPM?  Any combo is OK to achieve 85%, etc. In the performance charts?

Lycoming’s break-in recommendations are in Service Instruction 1427.

• Like 1