Car Seats

Matt M

Currently I have two lightweight car seats for my twin soon to be 5 year old boys just for the plane. They are starting to get to be too big for them as they are about 45 pounds. The next logical step is a booster seat. I am wondering what everyone else has done? I like having the seat belt harness that is part of the car seat. It keeps them secure. It seems most booster seats are designed to use the cars seat belts which would be just the lap belt in the rear on my plane. Seems like a booster seat would be useless as it is designed for kids to fit with a car three point belt. I don’t see any advantage to just sitting in the rear seat, but I would like more restraint protection other than the lap belt.

• Like 1

I faced the same issue.  I know it's not cheap, but installing shoulder belts in all four seats is the best way to keep everyone safe.  

I then use a booster with a back to ensure the shoulder belt is properly aligned and the kids can't move it much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

I faced the same issue.  I know it's not cheap, but installing shoulder belts in all four seats is the best way to keep everyone safe.  

I then use a booster with a back to ensure the shoulder belt is properly aligned and the kids can't move it much.

Actually now that you mentioned shoulder harnesses in the rear seats I actually have them. I haven’t had anyone in the rear seats other than them with their car seats so I never used the shoulder harnesses and tucked them behind the seats and forgot they were there. 

• Haha 1

Then you're good to go.  Use a booster with a back to make sure the shoulder belt stays in the right place across their torso.   

Flying with kids is fun....just make sure you have a good cleaning every once and a while.   Food is a great place for corrosion to start.

4 hours ago, Matt M said:

Currently I have two lightweight car seats for my twin soon to be 5 year old boys just for the plane. They are starting to get to be too big for them as they are about 45 pounds. The next logical step is a booster seat. I am wondering what everyone else has done? I like having the seat belt harness that is part of the car seat. It keeps them secure. It seems most booster seats are designed to use the cars seat belts which would be just the lap belt in the rear on my plane. Seems like a booster seat would be useless as it is designed for kids to fit with a car three point belt. I don’t see any advantage to just sitting in the rear seat, but I would like more restraint protection other than the lap belt.

@Matt M our family is in a similar situation. Up until recently, I always had them both in their lightweight, airplane designated car seats but have more recently began putting both my 5yo and 3yo both boosters with the shoulder harness WHEN my wife is flying with us. If it is just me, my 3yo stays in a carseat and my 5yo in a booster to give me one less distraction/concern in case my 3yo tried to get out. Also, consider this, In an emergency and/or off field landing, would you rather have them in the carseat or booster? The carseat will probably provide superior protection on impact but be more difficult to get them out incase of a post-accident fire, or other need to get them out quickly. That said, I see pro's and con's in each choice.

I use cosco combo booster seats.  They are relatively small and light.  They have full harness and can be used as a forward facing carseat, but when the kid is big enough, the harness is removable and you can use it as a regular booster.  

Here’s where I differ... I put them in the luggage for use in the rental car.  I put our 5 year old twins in the traditional seat belts.  However, the combo seats are small enough to fit in the seats if that’s what you want.

15 years ago...  (back in the day...)

Booster seats with backs had their own seat belts...

So... the seat was held in place, with the vehicle’s lap belt,   and the kids were held in place in the booster seat... with the booster’s straps...

Getting everything/everyone in and out takes some thought and some practice....

Not much different than being in a car...

The nice thing... the kids are big enough and motivated enough to bring the seats with them...

:)

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-