$1000 "climate" regulated landing fees in Massachusetts?

14 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Did you read that article?

I didn’t see anything about Gore-tex, but I did see one huge massive political payoff one after the other.

I had no idea actually

I thought I read Bil Gore was a grandfather of Al.   But finding no links to that report.

WhatI read was that he inherited a not insignificant amount, but not much really, enough to live a middle class lifestyle on certainly, then was on the Board of Apple, doing what? and got a not insignificant amount of stock for that, also Google, again doing what? Inventing the internet I guess :)

Bought apparently a failingTV station and sold it to Al Jazeera for a large profit.

I know he was selling “carbon credits” but apparently that went bust as did any other business he started, it seems his money was given to him. OK, so he “earned” it with his political connections. My guess is they were rewards for his political agenda, but the Al Jazeera thing has me concerned.

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

because Gore-Tex.   GORE-TEX is made from expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (or ePTFE      You know that stuff that is made from petroleum.   https://financialpost.com/news/how-al-gore-amassed-a-200-million-fortune-after-presidential-defeat

I'm not defending Gore, who doesn't need to be defended, but many, many ex-public officials and politicians are asked to and are seated on corporate boards. Paul Ryan joined Fox's board after he stepped down, Colin Powell is on the Salesforce board, John Boehner joined Reynolds American, Richard Gephardt served on Ford Motor Company and the list goes on and on.

According to Wiki, Al Gore owned 20% of Current while Comcast and other investors owned the remainder.

The only thing I would fault Al Gore for is selling his Apple stock when he did. Had he held on he could have had even larger gains.

11 hours ago, Urs_Wildermuth said:

Well, I did not want to start a politics battle, as a foreigner who came across this thing in another aviation forum I simply wanted to know what it is.

So if i get it right, it is the proposal of one State Senator who represents Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard who came up with this and nobody else has supported it so far. Therefore it will likely be shot down by the state senate before it ever gets dangerous.

Well, let's hope so.

It's quite interesting to see that a Senator representing islands would do this, it would truely kill all the airports on these islands and most probably drive quite a few of it's  inhabitants out of his constituency. Is there a more effective way of political suicide?

It is likely that the Senator who proposed it never intended for there to be $1000 landing fees anywhere in MA, but he submitted the bill as a means to start a dialogue in the relevant committee.    It's like selling something;  you know there's going to be a negotiation, and you can't increase the price during the negotiation, so you have to start high.   It's like medical billing in the US, the numbers are outrageously high for some reason nobody seems to understand, and they seldom wind up reflecting reality.

“Carbon credits” ASSume that Carbon is somehow a BAD thing. 
Almost every form of life on our planet needs carbon to exist. Trees “breath” in that “poison” so they can breath out oxygen.

We, the human race, are a carbon based life form.

Carbon is good. Plants grow better in an atmosphere with higher CO2 content.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RJBrown said:

“Carbon credits” ASSume that Carbon is somehow a BAD thing. 
Almost every form of life on our planet needs carbon to exist. Trees “breath” in that “poison” so they can breath out oxygen.

We, the human race, are a carbon based life form.

Carbon is good. Plants grow better in an atmosphere with higher CO2 content.

And carbon makes diamonds.

But that’s not what carbon credits assume.  We know that.  I am not a fan of carbon credits as a method to handle a problem but it weakens the argument to deliberately misunderstand the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJBrown said:

Carbon is somehow a BAD thing. 

Water is good for you. Doctors say drink 2 liters/2.5 quarts a day minimum. But it'll kill you if you drink 7 liters. 

Oxygen is good for you. Without, you'll suffocate. However too much of it will cause oxygen toxicity...

Climate change is a scientific matter. Just like covid. It's sad and obnoxious that things get politicized...

• Like 3

“Climate Change” is a purely political matter. It is an outgrowth of “acid rain” and  “The next Ice Age” 

I think the problem here is not that the proposal is outrageous, so much so it will never pass but it is the proverbial camel nose in the tent. You know what happens next? The camel starts spitting and you are out of your tent.

When people like this MA State Senator propose these things, it needs to get very painful for him. Painful so much so that even a watered down version threatens his seat. It is not enough to defeat these people, because they will rise like Zombies. We need to dig their political grave and show it to them so they don't even think of adding on stupid costs like this. (Remember Dan Rostenkowski and his Medicare increases? Yeah, that kind of heat!) I don't mind paying for the infrastructure I use, but I am not going to pay for something that does not benefit the operation of my aircraft in the form of a fee upon its use just "because" you have wants and needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When they "buried" Dan Rosenkowski, they didn't get him on the issue he messed up, they got him on mail fraud. The fact is everyone knew he was doing it for years, but they let him slide because he was "on their side". Look at Cuomo in NY. Same thing. Remember who revealed the Nixon tapes? A minor official in the form of the FAA Administrator. Most these guys have skeletons and they figure best way to cover them up is elected office. Hide in plain sight. My guess is this guy in MA is a bird of a feather. Time to put him under a microscope. Trying to play politics on the basis of constituencies and the size thereof or class warfare is for civics class.

4 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

When they "buried" Dan Rosenkowski, they didn't get him on the issue he messed up, they got him on mail fraud. The fact is everyone knew he was doing it for years, but they let him slide because he was "on their side". Look at Cuomo in NY. Same thing. Remember who revealed the Nixon tapes? A minor official in the form of the FAA Administrator. Most these guys have skeletons and they figure best way to cover them up is elected office. Hide in plain sight. My guess is this guy in MA is a bird of a feather. Time to put him under a microscope. Trying to play politics on the basis of constituencies and the size thereof or class warfare is for civics class.

I met Dan Rostenkowski once. I was working at a Cubs spring training game. He was sitting with Harry Carry who was announcing the game. I was trying to fix an audio cable under their feet.

• Like 1

Agreed it’s all about the money.

So where does climate change come into it?

How about let’s cry that's its for the children, before the climate sacred cow, that was the rallying cry.

‘It’s that kind of drama that ticks me off, there is a huge amount of the population that rally’s around anything that throws climate change into the mix, whether it has any effect or not on climate is irrelevant.

Anytime any of this nonsense is proposed, it’s my opinion that how it will affect the climate needs to be addressed, which it never will be, they are searching for more money to collected to be put into the general fund so that they can spend either to enrich themselves, or their major contributors.

‘In US government, you get what you pay for. So we should be asking who’s paying? But it seems that we never do.

On edit, I just read the article on Avweb that said the airports and the State would split them money.

‘So where does climate come into this?

Someone should run the BS flag up on this 

Edited by A64Pilot

As is typical of this administration, no answers just more bullshit.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gvpb8XQ1xN8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Tony Starke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DXB said:

Yea and he said it was just to “start a discussion”. Anyone who’s B.S. alarm isn’t going off can buy my ocean front property in Kansas.  

• 4 months later...