AeroCruze 100 Update

4 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

I spoke to Bendix King and supposedly in the next 4 weeks, the AeroCruze 100 AP will be STC'd for the Mooney's minus the real early models. FYI. Will update more on Mooneyspace as I find more out. 

This is really good news. Do you happen to know if this would be an option to work with the Dynon Skyview?

13 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

I spoke to Bendix King and supposedly in the next 4 weeks, the AeroCruze 100 AP will be STC'd for the Mooney's minus the real early models. FYI. Will update more on Mooneyspace as I find more out. 

uh huh, smh 8)

Edited by McMooney

On 5/6/2021 at 12:57 AM, Baker Avionics said:

Schweet! 

I suppose by "early" they are referring to the curve aileron Mooneys instead of the flat aileron ones. 

The early ones have a higher "break out" force than the later.   (If this is the reason for not including the early ones). 

I'm beginning to wonder what it would take to change to flat ailerons  I don't think there was any other change other than the way the ailerons were made when that change came out.

Might be able to include all the early models then. 

Hmm.....  I was told the very same thing from these people before they were purchased by King.  The difference is that they told me “four weeks” well over 2 1/2 years ago.

I would suggest that you don’t hold your breath waiting for it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm somewhat of a conspiracy guy.  It's fun to work up outlandish ideas and see how they hold up.  So here goes one:

Garmin funded King's acquisition of trutrak knowing that King would muck it up and leave their GFC 500 as the only viable option in the market place. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

53 minutes ago, dominikos said:

pure curiosity here… if, big if, Aerocruze 100 gets certified for Mooney and costs under $10K installed, any takers? Looking at socal monkey videos, it works nicely with Dynon Skyview.

I'm sure there would be, with me likely being one.    My Century III has proven difficult to keep working (it is currently inop), and I'm not a fan of Garmin's choice of cable servos in a pushrod airplane for the Mooney application or of dealer-only installations, so I'm waiting for either TruTrak or Dynon or somebody to sell a suitable AP for the Mooney.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dominikos said:

pure curiosity here… if, big if, Aerocruze 100 gets certified for Mooney and costs under $10K installed, any takers? Looking at socal monkey videos, it works nicely with Dynon Skyview.

Yes I would and if it’s STC’d before August I’ll have Greg Baker install it when I drop off my plane in mid August for a Skyview installation.

folks, thank you for sharing. having TruTrak (winning lottery) opens up more options. Here is what I found out through google searches on various forums.

- Dynon works with Seattle FAA office, same that supports Boeing and certified 737 MAX. Due to past mistakes and ongoing work with Boeing, it takes forever to move things through that office. Could be a reasonable explanation why it takes so long to get Mooney AP certified.

- AeroCruze is going through a different FAA office, hence it might be faster. Per email exchange with BK support/sales folks, they started the process in Q1 and expect to complete in June. Given it is a different office, this might as well happen. No explanation why they started in Q1 and not earlier.

I will wait to see how it unfolds. For my panel, the first step is vendor agnostic (swapping non-WAAS GNS 430 for WAAS version). I will hold on adding FS 210 as that ties me more to Garmin and could result in regret spend.

10 minutes ago, dominikos said:

folks, thank you for sharing. having TruTrak (winning lottery) opens up more options. Here is what I found out through google searches on various forums.

- Dynon works with Seattle FAA office, same that supports Boeing and certified 737 MAX. Due to past mistakes and ongoing work with Boeing, it takes forever to move things through that office. Could be a reasonable explanation why it takes so long to get Mooney AP certified.

- AeroCruze is going through a different FAA office, hence it might be faster. Per email exchange with BK support/sales folks, they started the process in Q1 and expect to complete in June. Given it is a different office, this might as well happen. No explanation why they started in Q1 and not earlier.

I will wait to see how it unfolds. For my panel, the first step is vendor agnostic (swapping non-WAAS GNS 430 for WAAS version). I will hold on adding FS 210 as that ties me more to Garmin and could result in regret spend.

I would be on the lookout for a used Avidyne IFD440 and then sell your non-waas 430. You'll have a WAAS unit with built-in WiFi and Bluetooth and won't need to buy an FS210 and pay to have it installed. Plus you then have the IFD100 app for your iPad if you want to control the IFD440 from the app. Deals come up now and then where you can buy a used IFD440 for $7500ish. I'm sure you could get $2500 or more for your 430. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dominikos said:

You sound like you're holding out hope still.  Just stop it.  For your own good.  If it happens, it really is like winning the lottery.  But don't live your life expecting that ticket to cash in. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJMac said:

You sound like you're holding out hope still.  Just stop it.  For your own good.  If it happens, it really is like winning the lottery.  But don't live your life expecting that ticket to cash in. 

Haha, I’m reviewing options… it just happens that it is unfolding as I’m making decision. In my case, there is no harm in waiting for a few more months before I decide on the route. I need clarity by August. I’m happy with my gradual improvements as they give me optionality.