Value of a fresh Top overhaul.

Welcome aboard Larry!

What we find around here...

When it comes to upgrading something before selling it..It is impossible to know what a future buyer is going to want...

If you put on OH’d cylinders,  the buyer may want factory new...

There won’t be enough buyers to make sense out of a particular upgrade...

On the back side of that curve... if you put any work into item...  potential buyers will spend more time trying to figure out why was that done,  what is hidden that I need to know about...  was it done properly?

PP thoughts only not a mechanic or an engine sales guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

It may help sell the airplane, but I do not think you’ll get your money back out of it, it’s run out, and most buyers will price an overhaul into what’s it’s worth, put new cylinders on it, and it’s still run out, at least the savvy ones will.

‘But now is crazy, I’ve seen crazy prices from brokers with run out motors, I doubt they are getting those prices, but with today’s market who knows?

I’d throw it out there at the same price as most seem to be asking for a mid to high time motor and see what happens, you may be surprised especially if the airplane shows well.

1. Other than engine time and selling are there any other reasons you are wanting to do the TOH?
  2. Have you been able to do a good bore scope of the cylinders looking at the valves? 
  3. Do they look good?
  4. Are the compressions good?
  5. Is the engine is running well?
  6. Are the oil filter inspections are clean?
  7. Leave it alone and sell it as a good running high time engine.

You will spend close to $10k on TOH and maybe increase the value of the plane by $5k.  

If you were keeping the plane maybe the TOH would be worth it.  Some have claimed to run the engines to 2500+ hours with no issues.

We pulled all 4 of mine at 1900 hrs with the intent to refurbish the cylinders, fix an oil leak, and keep on flying. However we found a single spalled lifter and then COVID hit that next week so the plan changed quickly, but the execution slowed to a crawl. Be prepared to change your plan...

If I were a buyer I would be suspicious of a top OH at TBO. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bartman said:

We pulled all 4 of mine at 1900 hrs with the intent to refurbish the cylinders, fix an oil leak, and keep on flying. However we found a single spalled lifter and then COVID hit that next week so the plan changed quickly, but the execution slowed to a crawl. Be prepared to change your plan...

If I were a buyer I would be suspicious of a top OH at TBO. 

I'm always suspicious of any type of work just before sale, especially overhaul or paint. I'd like to see the way it was operated, not the way someone wants me to see it.

Now the panel is a different story. If it has avionics from the days of Marconi it may not sell very fast.

image.png.a579bf4d2d143ad15a69ebb137bfe0b6.png

Most buyers today expect a WAAS GPS. You may not get your money back completely but it may be the difference between it selling soon and taking forever..

• Like 2

Thanks for the input and advice everyone. The engine runs strong with great mid 70's+ compressions, and does not make metal. I just wasnt sure if a run out engine would flat out stop buyers or not. Plane shows well, could use some new panel glam I guess.  I will throw it out there and see what happens.  

Larry

A run out engine appropriately discounted has a lot of advantages for the buyer because it puts the buyer in a position to have complete control and knowledge of the condition of the engine. And, any time they get before it needs OH/replacement is sort of free.

For the seller, opening up an engine that old can be like a can of worms. If you find a cam issue that you previously didn't know about, you will end up paying for an overhaul that the buyer gets to enjoy.

Skip

• Like 5

7 hours ago, O-1E BirdDog said:

Thanks for the input and advice everyone. The engine runs strong with great mid 70's+ compressions, and does not make metal. I just wasnt sure if a run out engine would flat out stop buyers or not. Plane shows well, could use some new panel glam I guess.  I will throw it out there and see what happens.  

Larry

I bought my F with a run-out engine....priced accordingly but figured I'd have to do an overhaul at any time, but it would be the way I wanted it done.  Three years and coming up on three hundred hours later and compressions are all mid-70s, no leaks, runs great.  I'm in no rush.

I wouldn't spend any money on the engine; just price it right.

• Like 2