81 J gear relays

Who did or does yours? Noticed your in Fl.

My AP sent it off to LASAR to have it overhauled. My emergency mechanism failed, fortunately I was just testing it. Based on the sticker looks like my spring has been replaced 3 times.
If you do ship it off, make sure it’s adequately insured, I think they are the most 3rd expensive part on the plane after the engine and prop.

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Mooney reported a while back that they got a batch in. Might be good to do it soon before all the no backs evaporate.

Skip

I can believe that, I’ll call LASAR in the morning and order one, assumption is once they are gone if I bought it from them they will install it? 
What I’d like and maybe can’t get is it to be disassembled, inspected regreased and motor brushes inspected too. I assume these things are no longer available and would hope that parts to overhaul have been sourced?

Odd thing is that I’ve spoken to a few Mooney drivers and not one has ever heard of a no back spring, and the IA that maintained mine before I bought it had obviously never heard of one either. I’ve only spoken to a few Mooney owners though.

I think there may be quite a few flying around with original springs?

Somebody at Mooney botched naming the darned device...

Nobody can remember its name without a mechanical engineering degree...

a no back clutch spring?

I know exactly what it is, what it doesn’t do when it’s broken...

If you get to name a device... go with something simple...

How many landing gear gearbox internal springs do we have to confuse?

Probably one gearbox for the landing gear...

Probably one spring inside it...

Guess they never intended to have a problem with that doohickey... :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 5/23/2021 at 10:17 AM, PT20J said:

Mooney reported a while back that they got a batch in. Might be good to do it soon before all the no backs evaporate.

Skip

They don’t, I was told to try again in a month. Oh,and the motor is sealed too, all you can do is replace it, if it’s available I didn’t ask 

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue on my 84J model. There's a Cannon plug that attaches the instruments including the landing gear selector switch to a harness that goes behind the panel to the underside of the aircraft. One of the wires was grounding out and popping the 5 amp gear up relay breaker. Identifying that wire and insulating it solve the problem.

• Like 1