M20k window replacement procedures?

I’m going to have my mechanic do the windows on my 1981 Rocket. I was curious if anyone knows any tricks or things to be aware of before he goes in to tackle this. He wanted me to ask about getting a replacement for the lower windshield trim piece because he thinks it’ll be tough to keep it straight and if the part isn’t terribly expensive, would be easier to just plan on replacing it. 

This existing glass is riveted in and the glass in my m20f is affixed with screws. For those of you who have done new glass, I would appreciate any insight you may have. 

Edited by FloridaMan

We got the trim piece off of mine without damaging it.  I know some people do replace the trim piece.  I did the side windows myself and removing the old sealant was a pain.  Probably 25 hours of work to do the removal, install and clean up.  Not complicated, just hard to remove the sealant.  Lee

Its quite a job. You have to remove the interior window trim plastic to access the clips or screws that hold the windows in place.  Depending on what type and how much sealant was used when the windows were installed last time, you can be in for hours of scraping, picking and cleaning PRC sealant is bad, silicone is even worse.

If the lower windshield retainer strip hasn’t been replaced before you have to drill out dozens of rivets which fasten it to the forward skin.  Often the retainer does not come off easily.  A recent one was bonded with 1422 fuel tank sealant and oversized Cherry Max rivets.  Had to fit a new retainer, repair some skin damage and work with oversized holes.  The retainer is then riveted back to the airframe with solid bucked rivets this requires two people and removal of the instrument panel.

Piper does it better with plate nuts and screws.

Most windows that I’ve encountered require trimming to fit the opening in the airframe, followed by sanding all the edges smooth after fitting.

Lots of clean up of sealant followed by re assembly of everything.  Careful work makes for better results.

Clarence

• FloridaMan changed the title to M20k window replacement procedures?