Looking for a M20K. I am based at KRHV/KPAO

I am done with IFR and trying different airplanes before I make my first purchase. I am at 260 hrs. I am narrowing my choices down to M20K. The hard thing about M20Ks is that there isn't any I can check out in the Bay Area. I would love even joining a partnership. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one to get checked out or join a partnership? Thanks.

Welcome aboard other Paul K!

Our first Paul K @kortopates is down in the San Diego area and has an M20K... a great resource for transition training when you get that far...

Planes are in short supply lately...  the nicer they are the faster they sell...

Hold tight,  Monday is often a bit light on traffic around here...

Best regards and good luck with your search..,

-a-

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Shawn for asking! I had a real fortune of meeting Adam out of KRHV. He took me up in his M20J. It was a blast! His M20J has everything you could dream of. He's got the MOONEY SUPER 201 COWL and painting done with special coating. His avionics were top of the line glass cockpit. Overall, it looked like a brand new airplane!

I just spent a week in Alaska doing a bush piloting course and I am heading back to San Jose next week. I will keep looking for opportunities to learn more about Mooneys. I am 5'7" with short legs so reaching the pedals while sitting up right seems little challenging in Mooneys. Adam mentioned about extension you can put on the pedals for guys with short legs.

I want to pay to get some Mooney time (~25 hrs) and get the real experience of piloting and landing. Someone is selling a M20F down in SoCal. I will check that out, too. That's the report from me so far, Shawn.

• Like 3

That looks awesome. Dang - need to put that on my to-do list. M20Fs are nice if you are flying up and down the coast of California. But if you intend to go over the mountains, a turbo really helps. In my 252, I was getting climb rates of 800-900 fpm in ~95 dF OAT today and maintained that all the way up to 14,500.

Finding Mooney training in a rental in the Bay Area is not so easy.  There is a club at Livermore that has J model.  You might poke around the West Coast Flying Club.  I am also 5’7” and the second seat notch works fine but the extensions are easy and cheap.  I think Mooneys are great for smaller folks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for checking. Not yet. I am still searching. Also, I want to get some training in a Mooney, but there isn't any available around San jose. Only closest one I know is over at livermore and I need to join a club with membership and shares.  Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Paul_K said:

, I want to get some training in a Mooney, but there isn't any available around San jose. Only closest one I know is over at livermore and I need to join a club with membership and shares.  Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Let’s see if @donkaye is around…

Don is an awesome CFII up in the Bay Area that is a go to guy for transition training…

Usually, his clientele have purchased the Mooney… and are looking for the transition…

Being from that area… he may have suggestions….

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

Just joined the group and potentially looking at a Mooney to purchase.  Found this thread in my first search!

My son and I have been working on our PPLs and I got mine about 3 weeks ago (he can’t until his 17th birthday next March).  Training at Tradewinds (KRHV) in C172s and I’m starting my complex endorsement this week.

If anyone is around that could show me, my son and my wife a Mooney to get familiar with them it would definitely help the search!  

The couple of possibilities that have popped up for me are a m20f executive and a m20g statesman both relatively close geographically.

@Paul_K , did you end up finding one?

Thanks all for having this forum!

Regards,

Russell Katz

San Jose, CA

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Bigdaddie said:

I have a M20K based in Chowchilla (2O6).  I'll take you flying any time.

Steve

Thanks Steve!  Not too far away (even by rental 172).  Let me see what we can do.  My son is doing his long XC Sat or Mon, so probably not this weekend.