Gear down safety

Gubni

A week or two ago I was reading about gear down safety. Someone replied that they have a gizmo that audibly announces the elevation starting at 50 ft and down. The author mentioned that this helped them to make sure the gear was always down. I thought a bookmarked a link to that gizmo but I can't find it. Can somebody help me out?

I have found the LHS System to be very useful,  Although I always check "gear down" on downwind, base, and final, that "Check Gear" announcement after the 70 foot callout always causes me to look again.  Where can you find something this useful for under 1 AMU?

• Like 2

2037 | Aircraft Components INC (flyingsafer.com)

This is the system I have. Works really well. I can not imagine anyone landing gear up with this system installed and working. It is really loud and unmistakable as the female voice states a repetitive " check landing gear" until the gear is down or you climb above 50 feet. Mine is also hooked to the MP swatch in the throttle so you will get the alert at near idle power settings as well.

Any retract I ever own will have one of these installed, as I stated above there is no way you will forget the rubber rollers if this system is installed and working.

It also loudly states a repetitive  "stall" instead of the beeping stall horn

Edited by 75_M20F
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I’m waiting for Garmin to do this. They have everything it needs if you have their full stack. They just need to put it in the software. 

I use the GTN 500 ft callout for the same purpose.  It is my reminder to triple check the gear.

17 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

A 500 foot call out on the GTN? What?

As part of the Terrain Alerting, there is an informational voice callout (no annunciation) of "Five Hundred"  when you descend through 500ft AGL.  In Rev B of the GTN650Xi Pilots Guide, it is on page 5-118.  That is the only version of the GTN guide I have handy but I'm almost sure it was available before I upgraded to the Xi units as well.

75_’s system uses microwaves to sense the ground...

Possibly similar to BK’s ground sensing radar altimeters...  (BK’s became aged technology that got replaced by WAAS GPS....

The mikrokit Lidar adds an extra layer of accuracy and precision to the mix to aid in the landing process... above the GU warning...

Best regards,

-a-

FAA CERTIFIED PRODUCT

2037 Ground Sensing Gear Warning System $1595.00

Gear up landings can generally be traced to distractions that occur inside or outside the cockpit during a landing, or the pilots inability to hear and recognize the existing warning system. The P/N 2037 gear warning system is designed to address these reasons, and provide an additional margin of safety against a gear up landing.

The P/N 2037 Gear Alert system is an electronic gear warning device that senses the presence of the ground when landing. If the system determines that the aircraft is close to the ground, and the wheels are still retracted, it provides an instantly recognizable voice warning directly in the pilots headset and through its built in speaker alerting of the problem .The unit also connects to the existing aircraft stall warning system. Anytime the existing stall horn sounds, the pilot will hear a separate voice message in his headset.

The system consists of 3 components, a ground sensing transducer ( approximately 3 inch by 4 ½ inch by 1inch ) that mounts on the belly of the aircraft, a small electronic unit that mounts anywhere in the aircraft, and a small switch that mounts in the instrument panel. Pushing the switch performs a self test of the system. If the electronics are working, the pilot will hear the voice message "TEST OK" in his headset. The ground sensing transducer is a microwave device much like a radar. When the aircraft descends to about 150 ft above the ground, the transducer senses the presence of the ground. The electronics then look at the gear down light to determine if the wheels are up or down. If the system determines that the aircraft is close to the ground and the wheels are still retracted, the pilot will hear the voice message "CHECK LANDING GEAR" in his headset. The system can also be hooked to the existing throttle switch system. Anytime the throttle is retracted with the wheels up, the pilot will hear the warning message. Any time the existing stall horn sounds, the voice message "STALL, STALL" will be heard.

The P/N 2037 Gear Alert system is supplied as a complete system to make installation easier. The installation kit includes a pre-made cable assembly, a pre-wired switch assembly, connecters, and all mounting hardware. The only other part required is a 1 amp fuse or breaker. Total system weight is 1 lb. 

10 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

What trigger do you set on it?

Not sure what you mean but I get an audible 500 ft callout and I've trained myself that whenever I hear it I check gear down.  Nothing special and certainly not as good as a check gear warning but it is just another reminder for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

Not sure what you mean but I get an audible 500 ft callout and I've trained myself that whenever I hear it I check gear down.  Nothing special and certainly not as good as a check gear warning but it is just another reminder for me.

In the alarm configuration in the Garmin setup how do you set the 500 ft trigger? Maybe I'd have to see it to understand.

-Robert

Robert, there is no alarm configuration that gets setup.  This is a 500 ft audible from the terrain alerting system.  If you hear audible alerts from the terrain alerting system and you are on recent software, you should be getting this.  When I first upgraded to the software version that supports this, I'm sorry but I don't remember the version number, I wasn't getting the alert, it turns out there wasn't a wire to an unswitched input on the audio panel from the GTN as it was previously not that useful.

13 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

Robert, there is no alarm configuration that gets setup.  This is a 500 ft audible from the terrain alerting system.  If you hear audible alerts from the terrain alerting system and you are on recent software, you should be getting this.  When I first upgraded to the software version that supports this, I'm sorry but I don't remember the version number, I wasn't getting the alert, it turns out there wasn't a wire to an unswitched input on the audio panel from the GTN as it was previously not that useful.

I do have terrain monitoring but it never goes off when I'm landing. I assumed it knew about the airport? But I do hear traffic and terrain called out.

-Robert

3 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I do have terrain monitoring but it never goes off when I'm landing. I assumed it knew about the airport? But I do hear traffic and terrain called out.

-Robert

Robert,  In the latest GTN Pilot's Guide https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01007-03_r.pdf,  you can see the 500 ft callout on the top of page 11-17

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steingar said:

I must be doing it wrong.  I always go to drop the gear when I'm 3 miles from the airport.

I drop gear to start descent on downwind, or to start descent when following glideslope [1½ dots before centering].

Many GPSi like to give some form of warning as you get close to the ground....

Even the non-WAAS ones (I believe)

I think it Was my KLN90B that had the option to alarm at 500’...

As PIC, I thought it a pretty cool piece of information...

Everyone else in the cabin thought the plane was stalling.... :)

So the ubiquitous beeper got disabled...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Hank said:

My 430W lights up the screen in yellow, with "TERRAIN" on the display. But it's silent, visual warning, pretty visible at night, less so during the day.

But even when you are landing? Mine seems to know I’m at an airport.