Panel Lights control with Garmin panel

Seems like all the Garmin gear has a photocell to control lighting intensity of buttons and backlights. Most also have a pin for external control (the G5 being an exception). Does anyone use the external control or just let the photocell do it? If not, what did you connect the Panel Lights control to?

Skip

Just now, PT20J said:

Seems like all the Garmin gear has a photocell to control lighting intensity of buttons and backlights. Most also have a pin for external control (the G5 being an exception). Does anyone use the external control or just let the photocell do it? If not, what did you connect the Panel Lights control to?

Skip

I had my g3x connected to one of the dials for the panel lights. I didnt like it and ended up turning the feature off. I just use the manual settings.

going through this now....The nomenclature on my audio control panel and the GTX 345 are not lit up to well.  There is no way to control it especially the audio panel without a rheostat.  May have one installed next big mx event.  

1 hour ago, Jim Peace said:

going through this now....The nomenclature on my audio control panel and the GTX 345 are not lit up to well.  There is no way to control it especially the audio panel without a rheostat.  May have one installed next big mx event.  

Before doing that try this:

On the GTX 345, enter configuration mode and step to the DISP page and you will find a lot of adjustments for the auto settings.

1437011239_Screenshot2021-05-02at8_48_43AM.thumb.png.e8880d96f6fd438f779c305c9d689548.png

There should be similar adjustments for a Garmin audio panel. Garmin only makes most installation manuals available to their dealers, but you can usually find them on the web with a bit if Googling.

Skip

5 minutes ago, PT20J said:

There should be similar adjustments for a Garmin audio panel. Garmin only makes most installation manuals available to their dealers, but you can usually find them on the web with a bit if Googling.

Skip

The 340 audio panel can only be adjusted with a rheostat....if you dont have one just defaults to some level and its not controllable.  I will look at my GTX 345 and see if I can make the nomenclature brighter....

I know I can make the onscreen stuff bright or dim but the numbers off screen on the outside may be a different story

29 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

The 340 audio panel can only be adjusted with a rheostat....if you dont have one just defaults to some level and its not controllable.  I will look at my GTX 345 and see if I can make the nomenclature brighter....

I know I can make the onscreen stuff bright or dim but the numbers off screen on the outside may be a different story

The GMA 345 has the option to have the photocell control everything, but apparently the 340 is set for the photocell to control only the buttons and the nomenclature legend backlights are controlled only by the panel lighting control. There don’t seem to be any adjustments for the photocell on the audio panels.

The GTX 345 has photocell adjustments for the display and the buttons. I’ve never adjusted them as it has been fine the way the installer set it up, but it looks like there might be enough adjustment options there to get what you need. 

Skip

For anything primary to your viewing pleasure...

Pilot Control is going to be required...

If your panel lights ar giving you trouble seeing out the window...  turn the knob.

having panel lights automatically dim is nice... but, what do you do when it isn’t nice enough and you need it dimmed now?

Probably PP fear of automation...

Best regards,

-a-