M20M TLS BRAVO: MY CHECKLIST FOR THE PHONE

Jonás

Hello to all,

Just in case anyone is interested in having a checklist in the phone, I am sharing mine here.

I tried to copy all the fields the best I could from my POH.

Download this app and import the attached file.

Check out "Aviation Checklists"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mb.avchecklists

NOTE: I DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY. USE IT AT OUR OWN RISK. MODIFY IT AS YOU WISH. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE WELCOME.

MOONEY M20M TLS CHECK LIST V1.txt

• Like 1

@Jonás Thanks for sharing your work!

I did a quick review of the text file and saw a couple of things on the start/taxi/before takeoff checks that look different from the checks I do. I have an 89 TLS, #19 off the line.

Do you turn the boost pump on for start and leave it on? My POH has guidance to use it to prime for a specific amount of time based on temperature and then turn it off for start. My standard is 6 seconds of boost pump after fuel pressure indicates, then off and wait 15 seconds before engaging the starter. The 15 seconds delay is just my technique.

Do you check the function of both alternators at 1000 RPM before your run-up checks? Your checklist says to confirm the field switch is on and a positive rate of charge is indicated, but I didn’t see anywhere that checks each alternator individually. Is that in your POH?

Thanks again for sharing your work!

I’ve created a customized Foreflight Checklist for my TLS/Bravo that fits my cockpit flow checks and I’m happy to share it with you or anyone else with the same caveats - I’ve done my best but no guarantees that it is complete or accurate.

Cheers,
Rick

Hi @Junkman

Thanks for your comments. I have a 1993 model. I tried to cut and paste every item from my POH. I will take a look again and contrast. 

Remember that you can modify the list I created by adding other sections or modifying and import to your phone. Just follow the format. 

If you share your list with me, I would appreciated. Thanks 

Edited by Jonás

Regarding the boost pump:

What I do, which is not stated on the list, is the following: 

When I do the cabin part of the preflight and then the master on, I prime the engine for 5 seconds. Then off to compete the outside preflight check. This works really well for me. The engine starts right a way regardless of temperature. 

4 hours ago, Jonás said:

If you share your list with me, I would appreciated. Thanks 

Hi Jonás,

I built my checklist in Foreflight and unfortunately it can only be used in Foreflight. I can't print it or produce a text file. If you're using Foreflight I can share the checklist with you by sending it to your email, and it will automatically load into your Foreflight app when you open the file in the email. All I need is your email address.

For anyone who's interested in using and helping improve the Foreflight checklist just PM me your email address and I'll send you the file.

Cheers,
Rick

On 5/4/2021 at 9:58 AM, Junkman said:

@Jonás Thanks for sharing your work!

I did a quick review of the text file and saw a couple of things on the start/taxi/before takeoff checks that look different from the checks I do. I have an 89 TLS, #19 off the line.

Do you turn the boost pump on for start and leave it on? My POH has guidance to use it to prime for a specific amount of time based on temperature and then turn it off for start. My standard is 6 seconds of boost pump after fuel pressure indicates, then off and wait 15 seconds before engaging the starter. The 15 seconds delay is just my technique.

Do you check the function of both alternators at 1000 RPM before your run-up checks? Your checklist says to confirm the field switch is on and a positive rate of charge is indicated, but I didn’t see anywhere that checks each alternator individually. Is that in your POH?

Thanks again for sharing your work!

I’ve created a customized Foreflight Checklist for my TLS/Bravo that fits my cockpit flow checks and I’m happy to share it with you or anyone else with the same caveats - I’ve done my best but no guarantees that it is complete or accurate.

Cheers,
Rick

Hey Rick, I've got a 1989, too. 

11 hours ago, affricate said:

Hey Rick, I've got a 1989, too. 

@affricate Thanks for reaching out! I've been wondering if there were others on MS. I still have the load meters for the alternators and am curious what kind of indications you get. Mine are very low, like 20% or less.

I saw your post about dead sticking your airplane after an engine failure last month. Nice work getting it safely on the ground! 

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 7:28 AM, Junkman said:

@affricate Thanks for reaching out! I've been wondering if there were others on MS. I still have the load meters for the alternators and am curious what kind of indications you get. Mine are very low, like 20% or less.

I saw your post about dead sticking your airplane after an engine failure last month. Nice work getting it safely on the ground! 

Cheers,
Rick

Hey Rick, 

My load meters were low, too. I just add two new batteries installed after my overhaul, and they seem to have changed. I didn't take down the actual percentage but I will look tomorrow, as I'm flying into Scottsdale. I'll try to remember to take a picture for you.

12 hours ago, affricate said:

My load meters were low, too. I just add two new batteries installed after my overhaul, and they seem to have changed. I didn't take down the actual percentage but I will look tomorrow, as I'm flying into Scottsdale. I'll try to remember to take a picture for you.

Great, thanks! I'll watch for the picture.

Cheers,
Rick

31 minutes ago, affricate said:

These batteries are 2 weeks old, the switch is on RIGHT.

Thanks! My batteries (sealed Gills) are a year old and show the same on the load meters. I feel much better seeing yours, I had it in my mind that I should be seeing something closer to 50% with the avionics all up and running. Having said that, I haven’t totaled the expected current draw with what’s installed. A project for another day.

I am curious though - you say the switch is on the RIGHT alternator. I have a split rocker switch for the alternators that allows me to run both at the same time. Is yours different?

Lots of thread creep here, may be best to take this to PM. 

Cheers,
Rick