A glimmer of hope from Dynon for the short body guys?

Not sure if anyone else caught this today but Dynon has a new director of engineering and he flies an M20B! 

In a release today Dynon announced:

“Dynon is excited to announce Brad Thurow as its new Director of Engineering. He now leads the team that develops the Dynon product line, which spans avionics for experimental amateur-built, light sport, and type-certificated aircraft. 

Brad arrives at Dynon after a successful tenure at Appareo Systems, where he helped grow their GA business in multiple leadership roles, most recently as Vice President, Business Development. Brad holds a BS in Electrical Engineering from North Dakota State University and currently flies a Mooney M20B.”

I’m hoping this has a positive influence on getting the AP certified for the Mooney line or at the very least getting the AP back on track for certification for the B through E models. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

If dynon approves the AP for short bodies, is it worth pursuing over gfc500 as far as cost/capability?  I have an stec/aspen combo and have been looking over long term options. 

I think the full package Dynon with autopilot would be worth pursuing, but it's not available yet for a Mooney. The full package is available on Garmin since yours is a '65. What you have now is serviceable. I love my Aspens and I'm still using a KFC150 autopilot. The STEC is still very well supported.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I think the full package Dynon with autopilot would be worth pursuing, but it's not available yet for a Mooney. The full package is available on Garmin since yours is a '65. What you have now is serviceable. I love my Aspens and I'm still using a KFC150 autopilot. The STEC is still very well supported.

I agree. I believe my servos could stand some attention and my altitude hold has an issue. Just don't want to throw money in the wrong direction. 

18 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I agree. I believe my servos could stand some attention and my altitude hold has an issue. Just don't want to throw money in the wrong direction. 

I think the key with whatever autopilot is never to let anyone touch it that isn't an expert on that particular autopilot. The experts know what it is in a few minutes and do it properly so there's no maintenance induced additional problems.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...