Challenge for the computer savvy among us

A64Pilot

There have been a couple of discussions on ADSB tracking and taxes etc. Plus I’m uncomfortable with data published by our government that attests to the fact that I’m not home etc. I guess I’m sort of a privacy “nut”

So I formed a Montana LLC and it bought my aircraft, and I registered my aircraft with the FAA LADD program.

Some of you stated that an LLC does nothing, it’s so easy to find out who owns the LLC, and I learned that LADD is only partially successful that agencies other than the FAA collect and disseminate ADSB data, although God knows why.

Anyway my tail number is N1141N, for those of you that know how, see how easy it is to get my personal data like home address etc if you don’t mind. I’d appreciate it, curious as to whether I was at least partially successful or not.

On edit, I know of course that a law enforcement agency etc. can easily obtain the information, I’m not trying to stay incognito to smuggle drugs etc. Just wondering how difficult it is for I guess those “aircraft spotters” and that type to find my personal data like address, name etc. 

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

There have been a couple of discussions on ADSB tracking and taxes etc. Plus I’m uncomfortable with data published by our government that attests to the fact that I’m not home etc. I guess I’m sort of a privacy “nut”

So I formed a Montana LLC and it bought my aircraft, and I registered my aircraft with the FAA LADD program.

Some of you stated that an LLC does nothing, it’s so easy to find out who owns the LLC, and I learned that LADD is only partially successful that agencies other than the FAA collect and disseminate ADSB data, although God knows why.

Anyway my tail number is N1141N, for those of you that know how, see how easy it is to get my personal data like home address etc if you don’t mind. I’d appreciate it, curious as to whether I was at least partially successful or not.

On edit, I know of course that a law enforcement agency etc. can easily obtain the information, I’m not trying to stay incognito to smuggle drugs etc. Just wondering how difficult it is for I guess those “aircraft spotters” and that type to find my personal data like address, name etc. 

Took less than 1/2 second on Google, since you provided the tail number . . . .

Screenshot_20210430-192422_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7582422456d8650e590f20f0fdfac54b.jpg

I’ve been reading my Garmin GNX 375 Navigator Pilot’s Guide and there is an Anonymous Mode for ADS-B. Not sure if this is helpful, but throwing it out there. If you have a Garmin ADS-B device, I’m sure you can enable Anonymous Mode. YMMV

”During anonymous mode, the unit replaces identifying information in the ADS-B Out message with a temporary randomized number for privacy while providing position information. Instead of a flight ID, the unit transmits the call sign “VFR.”

Not sure how that works on an IFR flight plan tho.

@A64Pilot Actually, what is protecting your home address is your LLC agent which itself is an LLC. Which mean that is a dead end but, for 5 dollars I can pull the registration record for the airplane, and find out who represented the LLC on the bill of sale which would lead me to at least your first and last name. This would also allow me to know what sort of ADS-B solution you have. If I were to religiously check ADS-B exchange (and you have an ADS-B solution that does not allow for autonomous transmit) I could ultimately find your home airport which would at least let me pull the tax records for the surrounding counties which should allow me to find a home address of the stated first name last name on the bill of sale. 

In short, for 5 bucks and well more then 5 dollars of my time, I could figure it out.  

Edit, actually it was free. 179REDACTED SE 159th Ave, REDACTED.

Edited by AerostarDriver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, AerostarDriver said:

@A64Pilot Actually, what is protecting your home address is your LLC agent which itself is an LLC. Which mean that is a dead end but, for 5 dollars I can pull the registration record for the airplane, and find out who represented the LLC on the bill of sale which would lead me to at least your first and last name. This would also allow me to know what sort of ADS-B solution you have. If I were to religiously check ADS-B exchange (and you have an ADS-B solution that does not allow for autonomous transmit) I could ultimately find your home airport which would at least let me pull the tax records for the surrounding counties which should allow me to find a home address of the stated first name last name on the bill of sale. 

In short, for 5 bucks and well more then 5 dollars of my time, I could figure it out.  

Edit, actually it was free. 179REDACTED SE 159th Ave, REDACTED.

Yeah, you found it. I assume you redacted it?

how did you get it?

Edited by A64Pilot

Just now, A64Pilot said:

Yeah, you found it. I assume you redacted it?

Yep. Posting your tail number actually linked a photo of your home and airport park that you posted here. From there it was just some browsing around on your favorite map provider let me find it.

51 minutes ago, AerostarDriver said:

Yep. Posting your tail number actually linked a photo of your home and airport park that you posted here. From there it was just some browsing around on your favorite map provider let me find it.

LOL!

Exactly how I was going to approach this...but my wife wanted to go to dinner 2 hours ago...and we just got back:D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I don’t think you can find me with ADSB though as it only transmits VFR when the xponder is 1200, it’s only when I’m assigned a squawk that it transmits a tail number.

Dont think this is a correct statement, i have seen VFR flights with tail numbers.  I have seen my airplane on flightaware and other none VFR targets.  Freedom is dead.

5 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

Dont think this is a correct statement, i have seen VFR flights with tail numbers.  I have seen my airplane on flightaware and other none VFR targets.  Freedom is dead.

If anonymous mode isn’t on, that’s true, and most don’t  have anonymous  mode on, or they aren’t equipped with it.

Edited by A64Pilot

11 hours ago, AerostarDriver said:

How did a a photo get an address? I did post the field name I’m sure, but how did that get an address?

38 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

How did a a photo get an address? I did post the field name I’m sure, but how did that get an address?

Lots of pictures are tagged with location data. It's an option that is preset at the factory, but can be turned off manually.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I don’t think you can find me with ADSB though as it only transmits VFR when the xponder is 1200, it’s only when I’m assigned a squawk that it transmits a tail number.

Not really true

14 hours ago, Stetson20 said:

I’ve been reading my Garmin GNX 375 Navigator Pilot’s Guide and there is an Anonymous Mode for ADS-B. Not sure if this is helpful, but throwing it out there. If you have a Garmin ADS-B device, I’m sure you can enable Anonymous Mode. YMMV

”During anonymous mode, the unit replaces identifying information in the ADS-B Out message with a temporary randomized number for privacy while providing position information. Instead of a flight ID, the unit transmits the call sign “VFR.”

Not sure how that works on an IFR flight plan tho.

The 375 will not do the anonymous mode as it has an integrated 1090 transponder.  The PG is referring to the 175 and/or 355 which do not have a built-in ADSB transceiver.  Those units can display weather and traffic when connected to an appropriate Garmin receiver, I think the GDL82 transceiver can be used in the anonymous mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Not really true

Well Jax approach when asked responded that they can only see the letters VFR, maybe there is a way that approach doesn’t have? I’m pretty sure they also get position, track,  altitude and speed, but no tail number

No update that I’m aware of, I wasn’t aware that you can’t use anonymous mode if you had a VFR flight plan, but honestly I don’t file VFR.

Anonymous mode blocks your tail number, but does it your ICAO code? They are tied together are they not?

12 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I searched your tail number on Bing, in the results for your tail number were a list of posts by your user name on the mooneyspace site. One of which was a photo of the front of your home and stating that you were in an airpark with the airport identifier. I went a pulled up the airport using bing maps which has a pretty neat feature called birds eye view which allowed me quickly go through the houses in the airpark until I found a house matching your house which had been pictured in the post. Once I had done that I just pulled the address from the map.

I personally have found that if someone really wants to know a piece of information, they will find it. I also know that we as individuals are our own worst enemy to privacy and security. It really depends on what your trying to hide from. The average every day plane spotter is not going to go trough the level of effort to find your name and address. The tax man however may have more tools then most, in Georgia, they have been actively pursuing legal action against folks who have used an out of state LLC to reduce their tax liability.

1 hour ago, AerostarDriver said:

I personally have found that if someone really wants to know a piece of information, they will find it.

As evidenced by how quickly the Utah monolith was located in the canyonlands once its existence became public.   That was a pretty serious "needle in the haystack" exercise and it didn't take very long at all.

I knew anything can be found, I’ve lived long enough to know that.

‘It’s sort of like locks and alarms, they both are pretty easily defeated, but I lock things in the hope that the Boogey man is lazy and will just move onto an unlocked car or whatever, I don’t for a second believe the lock is impregnable. I’ve seen a dinghy in the islands go to an extreme to lock the outboard, the thief just took a sawsall and cut the transom off and took the expensive locking device too.

Anyone I would try to “hide” from wouldn’t do the work to find me that was done here. I removed my post, but it was quoted, and I have “reported” that and hope whoever moderates will remove the quote for me.

‘If nothing else it was an education to me, that as was said we are our own worst enemy.

‘I didn’t think that the Montana LLC could so easily be penetrated, been better I guess if it had been a Lawyer that represented the LLC, that’s what folks with money do.

Yes I had heard that Georgia was beginning to chase down Motorhomes and expensive cars wanting tax, Funny when the yard at Thunderbolt in Savannah has Billions in foreign flagged Yachts sitting in it.

Edited by A64Pilot