Garmin bundle pricing on GI-275

Is this really a special deal or not?  The fine print says they are including SVT for $500, but I don't know about the base price of units.

GI 275 AI and GI 275 HSI $7,995.00
GI 275 AI and GI 275 HSI + Autopilot interface

The bundle saves $5-800 from regular pricing.  The SVT adder is normally an additional $1000 but not doing that.  Just enough saving to convince me to change my mind about dual G5s and go with the dual 275 bundle. Batteries for both and the temp probe.  Replacing a vacuum driven AI, a King KCS55 system and deleting the vacuum pump. According to the radio shop, the 275s will play well with my Stec 60-2, GTX375 and KX165.  The 275 will source nav info from both the 375 and 165.  I will be able to remove the KI204 indicator now driven by the 165.  Base price of the units is on the Garmin website.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

The bundle saves $5-800 from regular pricing.  The SVT adder is normally an additional $1000 but not doing that.  Just enough saving to convince me to change my mind about dual G5s and go with the dual 275 bundle. Batteries for both and the temp probe.  Replacing a vacuum driven AI, a King KCS55 system and deleting the vacuum pump. According to the radio shop, the 275s will play well with my Stec 60-2, GTX375 and KX165.  The 275 will source nav info from both the 375 and 165.  I will be able to remove the KI204 indicator now driven by the 165.  Base price of the units is on the Garmin website.

It is a very good deal.  I purchased a pair of these just about 3 months before this deal came out.  So I paid about 1k more than the deal is offering.  And I also had pre-paid 1k for the svt, but the deal came out in time before I actually had the svt part of the install done, so garmin allowed me to return the svt for a 1k credit and then I turned around and bought the svt for $500 instead.  So I partially benefited.

So anyway yeah its a good deal - 1.5k less than I intended to buy even as of 4months ago.

And comparing to the price of an aspen 1000 pro these are very competitive.  More modern and ready to drive either your legacy autopilot (which I am doing) or a future upgrade to a gfc500.  Also less parts since a lot of what would originally be extra boxes are built into the main unit.  You just plug them right into the hole in your panel that is already cut.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

And comparing to the price of an aspen 1000 pro these are very competitive.  More modern and ready to drive either your legacy autopilot (which I am doing) or a future upgrade to a gfc500.  Also less parts since a lot of what would originally be extra boxes are built into the main unit.  You just plug them right into the hole in your panel that is already cut.

With Garmin having the dual G5, dual 275, g3x, and txi options now I think Aspen is going to have a hard time selling units going forward. Kinda sad as I really like my PFD. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

With Garmin having the dual G5, dual 275, g3x, and txi options now I think Aspen is going to have a hard time selling units going forward. Kinda sad as I really like my PFD. 

The dual 275 really goes head to head to the Aspen 1000 pro in every way.  It was slightly more expensive, but now Garmin is hammering on them on that too.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

The dual 275 really goes head to head to the Aspen 1000 pro in every way.  It was slightly more expensive, but now Garmin is hammering on them on that too.

Plus a single Aspen unit still requires your vacuum system for a backup AI.  That plus a direct path for the GFC 500 makes this a no-brainer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Plus a single Aspen unit still requires your vacuum system for a backup AI.  That plus a direct path for the GFC 500 makes this a no-brainer.

Yeah - and the electronics are more modern in the GI275.  And yes as you said you essentially have two independent units each with their own batteries which is better redundancy.  The GFC500 open door was good.  Plus also - I was not certain enough in Aspen at this time to invest dollars into my plane essentially as a bet that Aspen will be there in 5 years if I need service.  10 years ago - was a good bet.  Garmin is a sure thing in that regard these days.  Anyway, the GI275's are some pretty intense little units for the size and bucks.

• Like 1

It’s going to be around 5-$7000 for 2 GI275’s installed in a modern airplane and interfaced to an autopilot. 
Friend just paid 14 grand smooth, for this deal, so with the Garmin rebate it’s 1000 bucks less, but still not cheap. That said, the G.I. 275 is fantastic, it’s an STC’d  robust instrument that is I think far high quality than a G5. 
I’ve installed G5’s and I’ve installed GI275’s,  I have a G5 my personal airplane. And I strongly prefer the 275, it is a more for more situation, but in a 3 inch hole, more is what you want. And it’s not just a passing observation based on the pilots  perspective, it’s also knowing The system architecture and what’s behind the panel.

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 3

Just read on another forum of a Garmin software release scheduled end of May for the 275, version 2.30.  It will move the GPSS button to the top of the menu tree plus enabling a switch to change to GPSS.  All I have read on the 275, there seem to be only two gripes: too small screen (primarily from non-owners) and the GPSS button taking 5 or is it 6 pushes to get to.

11 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Just read on another forum of a Garmin software release scheduled end of May for the 275, version 2.30.  It will move the GPSS button to the top of the menu tree plus enabling a switch to change to GPSS.  All I have read on the 275, there seem to be only two gripes: too small screen (primarily from non-owners) and the GPSS button taking 5 or is it 6 pushes to get to.

No kidding - do you mean a physical switch?  yeah toggling between GPSS and HSI for heading is such a common and important switch midstream, I would consider paying to have the panel opened back up if I could have a physical button instead of a soft-button for this functionality.

Getting the GI 275 AI and GI 275 HSI + Autopilot interface installed in June. It to replace the vacuum driven AI, a King KCS55 system and delete the vacuum pump and interface with a KAP150.  Interesting about the switch for the GPSS, have to confirm with the shop.

All total, so far, $14,3

• 1 month later...

Garmin just released the new software to move the GPSS selection up to the top of the menu tree.  On the attitude indicator, push the button or swipe the face to get the menu and there it is.  Or you can have a switch installed; either, not both.  They also have a new transponder page for the MFD.  Will work with "compatible transponders such as the GTC345, 345R, and 45R."  Hoping it means compatible such as the GNX375.

Bundle pricing is good thru end of this week, I think.