Looking for help with a 61 M20B in Glendale, AZ

I'm looking at this add in Barnstormers: https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1656298-1961-mooney.html?catid=20590

I spoke to the person selling it, and it's an M20B.  He says the paint is "a little rough but can be buffed out".  It was last current in 2019.  The battery is dead.  Sadly the owner passed from Covid.  I don't know when it was last flown, or the tail number.  It does have ADS-B so I think I can find out it's flight history? 

It is not a very low time engine, and it has likely sat for a while, so I'm worried about that. 

It's not too far from my house so I would like to go look at it.  Before I consider an offer or pre-purchase, I would like to inspect it myself to see if it's worth the time.  Any advice on how to inspect a Mooney?  I have worked on cars, but never a plane.  Ideally I would like to compression test and scope the engine, look at the gear, skin, control surfaces, hinges, etc.  Please help?? 

Thanks!

Mason

Edited by mason

• mason changed the title to Looking for help with a 61 M20B in Glendale, AZ

I owned a B and now a C. Corrosion is the big thing to look for - same with fuel tanks (this one looks to have had those done. I'd want to know who).  The B I bought was low time, low hrs on engine and prop - she had engine corrosion. The fact the plane you're looking at has been sitting can mean some corrosion may have set in on the engine. This one seems limited on avionics.

I'd be a bit Leary of a 'bargain' deal.  You'll need to open all the inspection panels, ck for mouse/bird/wasp nests. Belly panels need to come off. For that much work, I'd leave it to a pro and do pre-purchase. Have a look at interior/avionics panel/landing gear and a log book review if you want. SWTA can do a log book analysis for you. 

SB-208 is a big item for these older planes.

There is so much that can be hidden that I'd trust an AP (one with Mooney knowledge) to look it over. There are many threads on MooneySpace with folks looking at bargain planes only to find out it may not be one...

-Don

2 hours ago, mason said:

I'm looking at this add in Barnstormers: https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1656298-1961-mooney.html?catid=20590

I spoke to the person selling it, and it's an M20B.  He says the paint is "a little rough but can be buffed out".  It was last current in 2019.  The battery is dead.  Sadly the owner passed from Covid.  I don't know when it was last flown, or the tail number.  It does have ADS-B so I think I can find out it's flight history? 

It is not a very low time engine, and it has likely sat for a while, so I'm worried about that. 

It's not too far from my house so I would like to go look at it.  Before I consider an offer or pre-purchase, I would like to inspect it myself to see if it's worth the time.  Any advice on how to inspect a Mooney?  I have worked on cars, but never a plane.  Ideally I would like to compression test and scope the engine, look at the gear, skin, control surfaces, hinges, etc.  Please help?? 

Thanks!

Mason

There are a few of us at KGEU that are Mooney guys. If you are serious and need help, we might be able to round up the troops to take a gander at the plane. 

• Like 2

Take advantage of the help offered and go look.  Right now looking doesn't cost you anything.  Some planes you know instantly you are not going to buy when the hangar door opens other require a little more probing.

My first E the paint was rough, interior dated, avionics old but decent and it flew well.

Thanks guys!  I'm not sure yet if I am serious about this plane.  I really want a C or E, but I figure it's worth a look.  I'll check it out, and decide if I want to move forward.  @spectre6573 I don't want to waste anyone's time. I'll go have a look at it next week.  If I'm interested then I might ask for help and bribe the troops with pizza!

6 hours ago, mason said:

Thanks guys!  I'm not sure yet if I am serious about this plane.  I really want a C or E, but I figure it's worth a look.  I'll check it out, and decide if I want to move forward.  @spectre6573 I don't want to waste anyone's time. I'll go have a look at it next week.  If I'm interested then I might ask for help and bribe the troops with pizza!

Sounds good, just remember that the long timers at the airport might know more about the airplane and it’s history than you might know. Don’t hesitate to call or waste time because the retirees love to be part of anything airplane and many are there already day to day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spectre6573 said:

Sounds good, just remember that the long timers at the airport might know more about the airplane and it’s history than you might know. Don’t hesitate to call or waste time because the retirees love to be part of anything airplane and many are there already day to day. 

Cool, thanks!  I'll get the tail number and let people know when I'm going to see it.  Probably Tuesday.  Does anyone happen to know of a 61 M20B at KGEU where the owner passed away?

Mason,

You are officially on the way to being an experienced buyer...

Have you learned about what you really want for a Mooney?

Have you learned about how much you can spend for a Mooney?

Did this experience help you get to the next level?

I found similar experiences helped sort out my priorities... to become ready to pounce, when the matching plane came available...

Best regards,

-a-