GTN 750 Terrain Warning not working

This exemplifies my frustration with Garmin’s documentation. Each piece of equipment can have many setup options and the optimum configuration depends on the entire constellation of installed equipment. The Pilot’s Guides frequently don’t explain the options very well (or at all) and Garmin keeps many installation manuals private. Even when you do find an installation manual, it sometimes isn’t much help since it often presupposes you understand exactly what you are trying to figure out: Instructing me to “select the framice option to activate the framice mode” doesn’t help if I don’t know what a framice mode does!

Installers don’t always understand all the configuration options either and may just leave settings at the factory default. That leaves it up to us to figure out if our installation is optimum and we got all that we paid for.

I’ve spent hours reading manuals preparing for a G3X, G5, GTN 650, GFC 500, GMA 345, GNC 255A, GTX 345 installation and understand most of it, but I had to get a couple of bootleg installation manuals.

Skip

• 1 month later...

During the initial days of this posting I was a Doubting Thomas, not aware that a 500 foot aural warning was available for a non-TAWS GTN. As I read the thread I came to realize that the OP was speaking of a relatively new feature of the base terrain awareness software. I decided to check it out by going into the configuration menu and sure enough the terrain awareness alert was there but not activated. After turning it on and firing up the system I did get the "Terrian system test OK" and at 500 feet on the first approach she came through the headset loud and clear. Thanks to the original poster for setting things straight.

• Like 1